F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Smart repairs West Yorkshire
proTUNING Freaks

09-04-2017, 05:03 AM   #1
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport x-drive F30

Smart repairs West Yorkshire

Hi

As the title suggests, I am looking for a mobile bodywork guy in West Yorkshire to sort out several stone chips and a couple of areas on the bottom of the spoiler where there is a bit of spraying required.

I am awaiting a response from "Chips Away" but don't know anything about their local person.

Any thoughts anybody?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 01:42 AM   #2
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep

Anybody?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 06:09 AM   #3
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep

Just had a quote from Chips away of £240 to touch up the bottom of the front spoiler at either side and a bit in the middle. Also, a local body shop quoted around £80 (cash) for much the same job - but said that he would not bother with the work as the spoiler will only attract stone chips again.

Went into the local BMW dealer yesterday for a private plate making and fitting (£25 fitted - very good) and had a look at one of their used 335d's. 16 reg and the bottom of the spoiler is pretty stone chipped already.

This is starting to wind me up; do I get it sprayed, just colour wax it and live with it, or something else?

Just been online and seen a type of vinyl wrap product designed by 3M and supposedly being used as a protector - wonder if its worth going down this route, both as a means of covering up the area (whole bumper) and then protecting it?

http://www.invisiblepatterns.co.uk/index.html
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 12:19 PM   #4
Sabo
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F21 M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff123 View Post
Just had a quote from Chips away of £240 to touch up the bottom of the front spoiler at either side and a bit in the middle. Also, a local body shop quoted around £80 (cash) for much the same job - but said that he would not bother with the work as the spoiler will only attract stone chips again.

Went into the local BMW dealer yesterday for a private plate making and fitting (£25 fitted - very good) and had a look at one of their used 335d's. 16 reg and the bottom of the spoiler is pretty stone chipped already.

This is starting to wind me up; do I get it sprayed, just colour wax it and live with it, or something else?

Just been online and seen a type of vinyl wrap product designed by 3M and supposedly being used as a protector - wonder if its worth going down this route, both as a means of covering up the area (whole bumper) and then protecting it?

http://www.invisiblepatterns.co.uk/index.html
If you're going to get the bumper resprayed you'll have to wait about 4weeks before the film can be applied but it's definitely worth it as won't have to worry about stone chips anymore. I collected my M140i on Friday morning and drove straight to my guy to get the whole front and some other parts covered in Suntek film. I had it on my 15plate 330d Which I part exchanged and didn't have a single chip on it. Believe it's worth it as I've leaned the lesson on my 1st F30 when the whole front end looked like it was sandblasted after less than a year and had to be resprayed.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 01:44 PM   #5
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep

Yes, you are right. Spoke to the company today and they do mainly new cars. He talked about high-end stuff mainly, Porche etc...

Think I will try a combination of a partial spray and some coloured wax and see how it goes.
Appreciate 0