F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Input on potential 435d purchase
proTUNING Freaks

09-04-2017, 01:48 PM   #1
Reeno
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Input on potential 435d purchase

Hey everyone, i'm a regular over on m3cutters however the last few months i've been browsing threads while looking into replacing my M3 with a 435d for commute purposes and i've seen a fair few *35d owners over here.

I'm planning on viewing this vehicle over the weekend, if I could get any input from anyone who's owned a *35d before or any modern diesel BMW would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.imperialcarsupermarkets....port-2dr-auto/

This will be my first ownership experience with a modern (EURO 6) diesel, i'm not too concerned about it being mundane compared to the M but from a bit of googling and research it's pretty much accepted that modern diesels have a lot of tech in them now compared with petrols and when stuff breaks it's expensive.

To mitigate the risk I can get a policy with Mondial once the dealer's warranty expires, my main concern is the lifespan & condition of the DPF given it's a wear & tear item, these have a lifespan of around 125,000 miles assuming they're driven for 40 minutes on the motorway roughly every ~500 miles for the regen cycle right? Also does the i-drive do a good enough job of keeping track of the health of the DPF, I read somewhere that there's a mileage interval counter for when the DPF needs replacing.

Given these will be around £2000 for a main dealer to replace i'm guessing it's a no brainer to know where the DPF's life expectancy is at as a negotiation point on the price, looking at the mileage and the last service being at 56,704 i'm sure there will be an item or two coming up to mention as well.

I've read about 3rd party companies offering DPF cleaning services rather than just replacing the entire unit, is there any merit to these services or is it a false economy?

Thanks in advanced for helping a oil burning newbie out
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 02:49 PM   #2
chrisbmwcy
Second Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: M4 F82 2016 DCT Austin Yellow

I bought a 430d gran coupe msport 3 months ago.
I went for the 430d because its rwd.
I did not want the xdrive because i do loads of miles everyday.
Its best of both worlds. Performance and economy.
Forget everything you knew about diesels.
Its fast and super low consumption for its performance.
It does not sound like a diesel either with the inline 6 engine.

I wouldnt worry about dpf.
On my previous e92 diesel i had my dpf cleaned and still was going strong with no issues at 180k miles with the factory dpf. (Then i sold it)

Drive the 435d and you will love it, and it ticks all boxes.

Past: F36 430d Gran Coupe M-Sport Alpine White - DMS Remap, E92 320d Crismson Red M-Sport, R56 Mini Cooper S. Mazda RX8 Type-S Japan Import, E46 320ci LCI Convertible M-Sport Silver Grey
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 03:07 PM   #3
northern monkey
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 330d mSport

Great spec on that car but think the price too high for the mileage. For peace of mind I'd look elsewhere. The next service can't be too far off and you'll have to factor in the cost of that if you want it done at BMW. Personally I'd forgo some options for a newer and lower mileage AUC car.

PS I'm not averse to high miles -my F30 330d has now done 66K but is well looked after and does regular long runs.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 03:26 PM   #4
NotGotABimmer23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i touring - incoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by northern monkey View Post
Great spec on that car but think the price too high for the mileage. For peace of mind I'd look elsewhere. The next service can't be too far off and you'll have to factor in the cost of that if you want it done at BMW. Personally I'd forgo some options for a newer and lower mileage AUC car.

PS I'm not averse to high miles -my F30 330d has now done 66K but is well looked after and does regular long runs.
HK + heated seats otherwise is bogo spec. There aren't many 435ds around for circa 20k.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 03:33 PM   #5
vadimo
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 320D X-Drive

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
i think its a bit high price for mileage and year, for that i would expect 2015 year model, maybe this one is loaded wit toys?

not sure how effective it will be cleaning it past its life span.

if you do end up buying from them as i did last sept in chertsey;

1. they will not barge on price we tried and tried and even use an excuse of some marks on the body (they just buffed them out inhouse to shut me up) but you can, i wish we tried trick of walking away but i liked car and had no plan b
2. they will try sell you guard x - tell them fck off i wish i did, waste of money
3. they will try sell you RAC platinum warranty, we took out 5 years cover and haggled price down, its a very comprehensive cover with no excess or labour rate cap

good luck
Current Ride: 2020 G20 M340i in Metallic Black Sapphire with Individual Full Merino Ivory White and Piano Black Trim Previous Ride1: 2014 F30 M Sport 320D X-Drive Auto, Dakota Beige Leather, M Sport Brakes, Adaptive M Suspension, Paddle Shifters, 19" 403 Alloys, Folding Mirrors, Pro Sat Nav & Harman Kardon Surround Sound. Previous Ride2: 2004 E46 M Sport 320CI Auto, Montana Beige Leather & 18" 135M Alloys.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 03:41 PM   #6
CraigJ
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadimo View Post
i think its a bit high price for mileage and year, for that i would expect 2015 year model, maybe this one is loaded wit toys?

not sure how effective it will be cleaning it past its life span.

if you do end up buying from them as i did last sept in chertsey;

1. they will not barge on price we tried and tried and even use an excuse of some marks on the body (they just buffed them out inhouse to shut me up) but you can, i wish we tried trick of walking away but i liked car and had no plan b
2. they will try sell you guard x - tell them fck off i wish i did, waste of money
3. they will try sell you RAC platinum warranty, we took out 5 years cover and haggled price down, its a very comprehensive cover with no excess or labour rate cap

good luck
+1 guard x its utter shite
      09-04-2017, 04:02 PM   #7
Reeno
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the responses so far guys, to give a bit more background my ideal spec is Estoril blue (Had a Le Mans blue E92 335i a few years back, really suited the car imo), H/K sound system (bit of an audiophile myself, M3 has the hi fi system which is just 1 level above the base system and I wanted to push the boat out this time) & adaptive M suspension which i've confirmed with them is fitted (can do a VIN check when i'm down to confirm this).

Kinda wanted Oyster leather but I have to say, finding a 4-series with an interior that's NOT black seems to be rarer than hens teeth, the 3-series' on the market seem to have alot more variance on interior colour from what i've observed.

Main reason for singling that one out is it's been the only one available for the last ~2 months with the above spec within my budget given i'm only looking to keep for a few years, everything else with similar spec has been north of £26k.

Regarding guard x if it's supposed to be some detailing product for the paintwork i'll gladly decline, i've got a local detailer i'm intending on letting to go over whichever car I end up purchasing so no real loss for me if it's as bad as people say.

Quote:
3. they will try sell you RAC platinum warranty, we took out 5 years cover and haggled price down, its a very comprehensive cover with no excess or labour rate cap.
I'd be interested in hearing how much this is, i've used Mondial in the past for my 335i & M3, i'm looking at £70 a month for a £250 excess policy with road side assistance, if the RAC warranty works out better I might take them up on it.

Also would be interested to hear peoples experiences with clearing the DPF filter on higher mileage cars and anything I should be aware of.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 04:11 PM   #8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10

Since when did this forum start giving sound economical advise?!?

Good choice, hope it serves you well. Just something to bear in mind that the offensive on Diesel has started in some parts and if you drive a pre-2015 Diesel to a handful of London Boroughs, you are expected to pay about twice for parking. As well as that, there will be a congestion charge surcharge from October.

I know it is London only but other cities could follow suit.

Apart from that, I think the numbers would still work very much in the Diesel's favour.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 04:25 PM   #9
vadimo
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeno View Post
Thanks for the responses so far guys, to give a bit more background my ideal spec is Estoril blue (Had a Le Mans blue E92 335i a few years back, really suited the car imo), H/K sound system (bit of an audiophile myself, M3 has the hi fi system which is just 1 level above the base system and I wanted to push the boat out this time) & adaptive M suspension which i've confirmed with them is fitted (can do a VIN check when i'm down to confirm this).

Kinda wanted Oyster leather but I have to say, finding a 4-series with an interior that's NOT black seems to be rarer than hens teeth, the 3-series' on the market seem to have alot more variance on interior colour from what i've observed.

Main reason for singling that one out is it's been the only one available for the last ~2 months with the above spec within my budget given i'm only looking to keep for a few years, everything else with similar spec has been north of £26k.

Regarding guard x if it's supposed to be some detailing product for the paintwork i'll gladly decline, i've got a local detailer i'm intending on letting to go over whichever car I end up purchasing so no real loss for me if it's as bad as people say.

I'd be interested in hearing how much this is, i've used Mondial in the past for my 335i & M3, i'm looking at £70 a month for a £250 excess policy with road side assistance, if the RAC warranty works out better I might take them up on it.

Also would be interested to hear peoples experiences with clearing the DPF filter on higher mileage cars and anything I should be aware of.
dude the VIN is available on the car page in V5 link, crazy for data protection and privacy but hey thats what i did prior to going to the sore, i already knew everything the car had

i got free 1 year RAC cover incl home starter with taking up their RAC warranty.

Decide how mnay years you want it for and Best thing is do 2-3 quotes online on that car and go armed with knowledge, the RAC platinum appears to be available to selective dealers and cannot be pucrhased separately or online
Current Ride: 2020 G20 M340i in Metallic Black Sapphire with Individual Full Merino Ivory White and Piano Black Trim Previous Ride1: 2014 F30 M Sport 320D X-Drive Auto, Dakota Beige Leather, M Sport Brakes, Adaptive M Suspension, Paddle Shifters, 19" 403 Alloys, Folding Mirrors, Pro Sat Nav & Harman Kardon Surround Sound. Previous Ride2: 2004 E46 M Sport 320CI Auto, Montana Beige Leather & 18" 135M Alloys.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 04:37 PM   #10
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Just a note on DPF.

I had a Euro 5 320d e90 with a dpf. No issues at all in 105k miles. First few years use was ideal - motorway every day, but the last 22 months of ownership it did lots of urban miles with only the odd motorway foray. No harm done, seemingly.

Good luck with the purchase

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 05:03 PM   #11
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Is the car really that much of a bargain ?

72k miles, only had 3 services (it's due another one pretty much imminently, there's £200-300 to spend instantly, more like £400 at main dealer prices).

A nice, decent-spec 435d on AUC ... http://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/4-Series/3...cmdc=se_na_re_

Comes with 1 year of no-fucking-about, everything-covered BMW AUC warranty. (buy the car you're looking at, and it comes with 3 month warranty)
Slightly older, loads less mileage, but doesn't have the HK sound system or adaptive suspension.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 05:14 PM   #12
Reeno
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
dude the VIN is available on the car page in V5 link, crazy for data protection and privacy but hey thats what i did prior to going to the sore, i already knew everything the car had
Good spot on the VIN, it's been too long since i've seen the VIN being flaunted to bother checking for it anymore! Yea seems it does have the suspension so it's all good on that front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
Is the car really that much of a bargain ?

72k miles, only had 3 services (it's due another one pretty much imminently, there's £200-300 to spend instantly, more like £400 at main dealer prices).

A nice, decent-spec 435d on AUC ... http://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/4-Series/3...cmdc=se_na_re_

Comes with 1 year of no-fucking-about, everything-covered BMW AUC warranty. (buy the car you're looking at, and it comes with 3 month warranty)
Slightly older, loads less mileage, but doesn't have the HK sound system or adaptive suspension.
I've had a drive in models with & without the adaptive suspension and for my own preferences it's a must, was the same when I was looking at E92 M3's w & w/o EDC. Same story with the sound system, I had the base E92 gen system in my 335i prior and it was grim to say the least if you like high fidelity music

I will be definitely raising the servicing as a bartering point, the good thing is i'm not under any pressure to "buy now", if I do walk away it'll just mean driving in a beater for a bit until a similar spec rolls up.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 05:38 PM   #13
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbmwcy View Post
I bought a 430d gran coupe msport 3 months ago.
I went for the 430d because its rwd.
I did not want the xdrive because i do loads of miles everyday.
Its best of both worlds. Performance and economy.
Forget everything you knew about diesels.
Its fast and super low consumption for its performance.
It does not sound like a diesel either with the inline 6 engine.

I wouldnt worry about dpf.
On my previous e92 diesel i had my dpf cleaned and still was going strong with no issues at 180k miles with the factory dpf. (Then i sold it)

Drive the 435d and you will love it, and it ticks all boxes.
My 335dx does exactly the same mpg as my 330ds did!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 05:40 PM   #14
vadimo
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeno View Post
Good spot on the VIN, it's been too long since i've seen the VIN being flaunted to bother checking for it anymore! Yea seems it does have the suspension so it's all good on that front.

I've had a drive in models with & without the adaptive suspension and for my own preferences it's a must, was the same when I was looking at E92 M3's w & w/o EDC. Same story with the sound system, I had the base E92 gen system in my 335i prior and it was grim to say the least if you like high fidelity music

I will be definitely raising the servicing as a bartering point, the good thing is i'm not under any pressure to "buy now", if I do walk away it'll just mean driving in a beater for a bit until a similar spec rolls up.
let us know how you get on
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 05:59 PM   #15
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5557223 View Post
Since when did this forum start giving sound economical advise?!?

Good choice, hope it serves you well. Just something to bear in mind that the offensive on Diesel has started in some parts and if you drive a pre-2015 Diesel to a handful of London Boroughs, you are expected to pay about twice for parking. As well as that, there will be a congestion charge surcharge from October.

I know it is London only but other cities could follow suit.

Apart from that, I think the numbers would still work very much in the Diesel's favour.
I don't get this pre-2015 lark for double parking charges etc ..surely if it's Euro 6 it's exempt whether it's 2013 or 2017? I thought the extra charges were down to the cars emissions not date of manufacture.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2017, 01:07 PM   #16
Reeno
United Kingdom
Rep

Quick update, I went down to view & drive it this afternoon, nothing major on the exterior other than them sticking a mis-matching falken tyre on the front passenger side to keep the tread legal (will be ditching the lot for MPSS's all round once the tread gets below min on a corner), main outstanding issue was it had a body inspection, front discs & oil service coming up in 3300 miles which is around £550~ at the main dealers, when I queried the salesman on it he said they consider anything over 1000 miles exempt from their checks so nothing doing there.

Ultimately I offered them £19,000 for it (still quite a lot, but it has the spec I want within budget and i've seen nothing else in the last 2 months) as which point I can reaffirm Vadimo's experience with them that they will not shift on pricing, we had a quick discussion on RAC warranties in the hope they may be liberal in handing them out as a cash discount alternative but no luck there.

They have my contact details should they end up not selling it, otherwise i'll be getting myself a cheap commuter hack while I wait for another car to turn up on the market.
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2017, 01:19 PM   #17
Drek
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Ferrari F430 F1

£180 admin fee. I'd not buy from them on that alone.
www.bmwland.org.uk
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2017, 03:14 PM   #18
RalphyBMW
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d xDrive MSport

The actual driving experience in this car is going to be massively different to your M. Please be sure you understand just how compromised the xDrives handle.
      09-09-2017, 03:26 PM   #19
Reeno
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphyBMW View Post
The actual driving experience in this car is going to be massively different to your M. Please be sure you understand just how compromised the xDrives handle.
Already noted, as a replacement daily commuter I dont have any issues with the handling characteristics being dialed back, on the test drive it handled as well as I would expect a diesel coupe with a jacked up 4x4 suspension to

The change to an auto diesel for me at least is a necessity of my change of commute to work, i'll be back in an M again at some point, might even get a toy for the weekends and keep the diesel for the 9 to 5.

Last edited by Reeno; 09-09-2017 at 05:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 03:43 AM   #20
330Stevie
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
£180 admin fee. I'd not buy from them on that alone.
I agree, this tactic of money for nothing is absolute shite!
Appreciate 0