F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Racing/Safe driving experience, where in North/Midlands?
GetBMWParts

09-07-2017, 05:56 AM   #1
werewolf81
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 125i

Racing/Safe driving experience, where in North/Midlands?

As in the subject: I'm wondering if someone knows a place where you can learn a bit about safe driving and dynamic/racing driving at the same time.

Possibly with a chance of using own car.

Does anyone know a place in the North/Midlands?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 06:25 AM   #2
Zippeh
Captain
Wales
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Manual 2015

You can sign up for a Javelin trackday and they offer coaching whilst you're there.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 07:57 AM   #3
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Not local, but the best course that I ever did was a Car Limits day in North Wheald, Essex. Well worth the long drive.

Best mod I've ever done!!

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 03:15 AM   #4
werewolf81
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks guys, I'll check both.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 12:56 PM   #5
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i M-Sport Gran Coupe

I have been in its course. You have one to one tuition but it's not cheap!

Watch the video in the top right of the page. One of the cars you drive is a BMW M3.

https://www.horiba-mira.com/our-serv...river-training
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 02:04 PM   #6
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Try the M54 on an evening after about 7pm.
      09-08-2017, 03:20 PM   #7
werewolf81
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensible View Post

Watch the video in the top right of the page. One of the cars you drive is a BMW M3.

Wow, that looks like a proper training for stuntmen or police force

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 03:49 PM   #8
willjames
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 3.0d M Sport

Quote:

That looks fantastic. Is it one day? Any idea how much?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2017, 03:11 AM   #9
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i M-Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by willjames View Post
That looks fantastic. Is it one day? Any idea how much?
The video only shows a fraction of what you do on the course and they have you cornering at speeds you wouldn't think was possible. You also explore the benefits of stability control and ABS doing exercises with them switched on and off. You use cars that are front and rear wheel drive (Honda Civic Type R and BMW M3 with full roll cage and intercom) to appreciate the handling differences that cause understeer and oversteer. They have you cornering on a wet track losing control and then regaining control, simulated snow and ice surfaces. Split friction braking (two different surfaces). At the start of the course you spin the car regularly but by the end you are able to keep control by practicing the techniques.

I went from work and they paid. At the time I was a Police Forensic Collision Investigator, Advanced Police driver working on Traffic/Motorway (now retired). The aim of the course for me was a better understanding of car control and why people lose control and crash so I could speak about it in court as an expert. It was a real eye opener as to how good DSC and DTC is on BMW''s and it really will save your life...... but was good fun to.

It was a one day course with one to one tuition, but they needed two people to book together (two instructors in separate cars). It cost........wait for it............ £2500, so £1250 each...but it would be worth a phone call/email to enquire as to what courses they do and the price's.

Last edited by sensible; 09-09-2017 at 03:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2017, 03:32 AM   #10
willjames
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 3.0d M Sport

Quote:
The video only shows a fraction of what you do on the course and they have you cornering at speeds you wouldn't think was possible. You also explore the benefits of stability control and ABS doing exercises with them switched on and off. You use cars that are front and rear wheel drive (Honda Civic Type R and BMW M3 with full roll cage and intercom) to appreciate the handling differences that cause understeer and oversteer. They have you cornering on a wet track losing control and then regaining control, simulated snow and ice surfaces. Split friction braking (two different surfaces). At the start of the course you spin the car regularly but by the end you are able to keep control by practicing the techniques.

I went from work and they paid. At the time I was a Police Forensic Collision Investigator, Advanced Police driver working on Traffic/Motorway (now retired). The aim of the course for me was a better understanding of car control and why people lose control and crash so I could speak about it in court as an expert. It was a real eye opener as to how good DSC and DTC is on BMW''s and it really will save your life...... but was good fun to.

It was a one day course with one to one tuition, but they needed two people to book together (two instructors in separate cars). It cost........wait for it............ £2500, so £1250 each.
Thanks for the info. Sounds really great and seems to be aimed at professional drivers. Expensive, but if money was no object, then I'd give it a go...for now though I'll stick to taking it easy instead of trying to find out the limits of my car and how physics will affect it in certain conditions.

As a side note though, it would be interesting to know, that if everyone did such a course how it would affect the RTA figures. I.e if they would be significantly reduced because people would have a much better understanding of how their car is affected by certain situations
Appreciate 0