BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Looking for insurance advice

09-14-2017, 10:28 PM   #1
OGM2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 AW DCT MPS,N180 4Runner

Looking for insurance advice

Anyone have any suggestions on the cheapest way to insure the M2 as a "weekend driver" putting on no more than 3000 miles a year. I have a 4Runner as a dailey and my living situation dictates that I don't drive much or far outside of work. I basically live, work, and play within 2 miles of the downtown core. Lucky for car enthusiasts living in Seattle mountain drives are only 30 minutes away. I'm with State Farm but maybe some specialty insurance would be better i.e. Haggerty, etc. for the M2?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 10:34 PM   #2
deeechun
Private
Rep
Drives: MG M2

Maybe you could try using Metromile for pay-by-mile insurance. That might be a good choice of insurance for you. However, you must plug in something into your OBDII port to track your miles. It is written that they do not track your driving habits to increase your rates in their terms and conditions, so if that worries you, it shouldn't!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 11:53 PM   #3
OGM2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeechun View Post
Maybe you could try using Metromile for pay-by-mile insurance. That might be a good choice of insurance for you. However, you must plug in something into your OBDII port to track your miles. It is written that they do not track your driving habits to increase your rates in their terms and conditions, so if that worries you, it shouldn't!
Never heard of them before. Just went to their website, looks to be an option. Thanks for the suggestion.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 01:40 AM   #4
deeechun
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMTWO View Post
Never heard of them before. Just went to their website, looks to be an option. Thanks for the suggestion.
Yup, could I possibly refer you? I get an incentive!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 11:41 AM   #5
hoyasaxa
Captain
Rep
Drives: GTI | 982 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeechun View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMTWO View Post
Yup, could I possibly refer you? I get an incentive!
There it is. Couldn't think of any other reason someone would shill for big brother pay by mile insurance. The more people accept these intrusive things as normal, the more it will be forced on the majority of people who don't.

OP, in my research, GEICO has had the most competitive auto insurance rates, without spying on you. And I don't get anything from them for telling you that.
      09-15-2017, 11:44 AM   #6
deeechun
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyasaxa View Post
There it is. Couldn't think of any other reason someone would shill for big brother pay by mile insurance. The more people accept these intrusive things as normal, the more it will be forced on the majority of people who don't.

OP, in my research, GEICO has had the most competitive auto insurance rates, without spying on you. And I don't get anything from them for telling you that.
I didn't even know about the incentive program until I searched it after the recommendation xD I'm on their plan right now and have had no issues

Plus, I could live without a $10 gift card, bro
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 03:27 PM   #7
blackholescion
Lieutenant
Rep

Being in WA, you're probably screwed either way. When I lived in WA, my STi was $120 a month. I moved to NC and it was $67 a month.

Get some quotes but make sure to mark it as a recreational vehicle. I do that with GEICO and save about $200/6 months.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 05:09 PM   #8
bimmer4life24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

OP, being an insurance agent, there is really no such thing as "weekend driver" insurance. You will have to pay your premium regardless. Best suggestion I have is, if you don't drive it in the winter, you can put your car in "storage coverage," where you cannot drive the vehicle until you speak to your agent. You will save a lot on insurance that way.

Wish I could help you on insurance, but I can only insure Illinois residents.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 06:23 PM   #9
chambolle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1995 M3 coupe; 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackholescion View Post
Being in WA, you're probably screwed either way. When I lived in WA, my STi was $120 a month. I moved to NC and it was $67 a month.

Get some quotes but make sure to mark it as a recreational vehicle. I do that with GEICO and save about $200/6 months.
Washington insurance rates are high because Washington law is particularly onerous for insurers.

Take my advice, however. If you have any assets worth protecting, do not skimp on insurance. And do not under any circumstances waive or limit your PIP and UIM coverage. In every case over the past 30 years, I've been involved in collisions in which the other driver was 100% at fault: rear-ended me while stopped at a light, or veered off the road and plowed into my legally parked, nearly new car. Two out of three of those drivers was uninsured or underinsured, two out of three had suspended drivers licenses.

Don't buy minimum limits liability coverage; get UIM at your liability limits, not less; get UIM PD to cover loss to your vehicle and try to get diminution in value coverage so loss of value is covered in addition to repair cost; and buy the supplemental PIP limits. The additional premium for these first party coverages is minimal, their value is huge in the event you are in an accident with an underinsured driver. And guess what... impecunious, underinsured drivers in crappy cars are the ones most likely to hit you. They've got nothing to lose and don't much care. These same deadbeats are the ones likely to get 'whiplash' if you are at fault in the slightest fender bender and seek huge damages in the litigation lottery - ergo your liability coverage had best be worth its salt.
Appreciate 2
      09-17-2017, 06:51 PM   #10
OGM2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambolle View Post
Washington insurance rates are high because Washington law is particularly onerous for insurers.

Take my advice, however. If you have any assets worth protecting, do not skimp on insurance. And do not under any circumstances waive or limit your PIP and UIM coverage. In every case over the past 30 years, I've been involved in collisions in which the other driver was 100% at fault: rear-ended me while stopped at a light, or veered off the road and plowed into my legally parked, nearly new car. Two out of three of those drivers was uninsured or underinsured, two out of three had suspended drivers licenses.

Don't buy minimum limits liability coverage; get UIM at your liability limits, not less; get UIM PD to cover loss to your vehicle and try to get diminution in value coverage so loss of value is covered in addition to repair cost; and buy the supplemental PIP limits. The additional premium for these first party coverages is minimal, their value is huge in the event you are in an accident with an underinsured driver. And guess what... impecunious, underinsured drivers in crappy cars are the ones most likely to hit you. They've got nothing to lose and don't much care. These same deadbeats are the ones likely to get 'whiplash' if you are at fault in the slightest fender bender and seek huge damages in the litigation lottery - ergo your liability coverage had best be worth its salt.
I wasn't looking for the cheapest coverage per se, the question was more is there a different category of insurance or certain insurance companies that are specifically for "recreational vehicles". I previously was able save on full coverage insurance on a car with a mileage limit of under 6000 miles. In this case it will probably be less than 3000, maybe way less depending on how much spare time I have since I have a daily driver and live in the heart of the city. I rarely need to drive more than 10 miles a day although I'm sure with the M2 I will drive 40 minutes for a baguette, lol.
Appreciate 0