E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > AA tune..will I regret it? Does it feel like D/S mode?

09-17-2017, 04:03 PM   #1
BimmerNugget
Crazy Frog
United_States
Rep
Drives: L.L.Bean Bootmobile

AA tune..will I regret it? Does it feel like D/S mode?

I just ordered an AA gen 2 signature exhaust (axle back) and will be getting it installed as soon as it arrives.

I have been contemplating on getting an AA tune for over 1 month now. Haven't pulled the trigger yet becuase of mixed reviews. Some people swear by it and others say it's only a slight bump in power and not something to rave about.

So my question is....

1) With the AA tune, will my butt dyno feel a difference?

2) How does AA tune compare to simply driving in D/S mode? For me the difference between D/S mode and D mode is night and day. The throttle is much sharper. I know the AA is a real tune and not just a throttle remapping (like the BMS powerbox), but I am strictly asking how does the car "feel" with the AA tune.

My car is an N51 so it already has the 3SI. I'm just doing the AA exhaust, AA tune, and K&N drop in filter. Not much else you can do with an N51. What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 04:11 PM   #2
German Straight-6
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 328i & F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerNugget View Post
I just ordered an AA gen 2 signature exhaust (axle back) and will be getting it installed as soon as it arrives.

I have been contemplating on getting an AA tune for over 1 month now. Haven't pulled the trigger yet becuase of mixed reviews. Some people swear by it and others say it's only a slight bump in power and not something to rave about.

So my question is....

1) With the AA tune, will my butt dyno feel a difference?

2) How does AA tune compare to simply driving in D/S mode? For me the difference between D/S mode and D mode is night and day. The throttle is much sharper. I know the AA is a real tune and not just a throttle remapping (like the BMS powerbox), but I am strictly asking how does the car "feel" with the AA tune.

My car is an N51 so it already has the 3SI. I'm just doing the AA exhaust, AA tune, and K&N drop in filter. Not much else you can do with an N51. What do you guys think?

if AA can tune the 3 stage intake manifold, go for it. if not, don't even waste your time.

ditch the K&N filter and get a secondary cat delete for now, that mod alone will yield better gains then just the AA muffler or drop-in air filter for like $100.

if you are getting catless headers, keep the secondaries to help with smell.

whatever you do, I recommend not deleting your resonator because it is great.

if you want more power, there is nothing wrong with the AA tune. is it worth the money? you will need to speak to more people. then again, everyones expectations and observations are different in the tuning world, so it is just something you will have to experience on your own to believe it.

personally, I don't really notice much of a difference with overall throttle response in D/S mode, the only difference for me is just the shift mapping which holds lower gears so that might not be the best example. pressing and holding the DSC button to fully turn off traction control makes the engine feel more peppy for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 05:23 PM   #3
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Straight-6 View Post
if AA can tune the 3 stage intake manifold, go for it. if not, don't even waste your time.

ditch the K&N filter and get a secondary cat delete for now, that mod alone will yield better gains then just the AA muffler or drop-in air filter for like $100.

if you are getting catless headers, keep the secondaries to help with smell.

whatever you do, I recommend not deleting your resonator because it is great.

if you want more power, there is nothing wrong with the AA tune. is it worth the money? you will need to speak to more people. then again, everyones expectations and observations are different in the tuning world, so it is just something you will have to experience on your own to believe it.

personally, I don't really notice much of a difference with overall throttle response in D/S mode, the only difference for me is just the shift mapping which holds lower gears so that might not be the best example. pressing and holding the DSC button to fully turn off traction control makes the engine feel more peppy for me.
Got dyno results for the secondary cat delete?

Also, do you have the same transmission as the OP? GM sourced 6 speed unit?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 05:55 PM   #4
German Straight-6
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
Got dyno results for the secondary cat delete?

Also, do you have the same transmission as the OP? GM sourced 6 speed unit?
No dyno charts, it’s a pretty small difference.

2-3 HP - Noticeable when winding out past 4000rpm. Pulls to redline much more satisfyingly then before.

Throttle response became sharper at all RPM

Oh and the engine sound while revving up or wjndig out the engine is amazing! Oh can actually hear your car, although the exhaust note is too muffled. No drone with res intact.

The e92 328i has a GM unit, F10 has a ZF. Shift mapping and overall transmission tuning is similar between the two.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 06:39 PM   #5
tlow98
Major General
Rep

Quote:
No dyno charts, it’s a pretty small difference.

2-3 HP - Noticeable when winding out past 4000rpm. Pulls to redline much more satisfyingly then before.

Throttle response became sharper at all RPM

Oh and the engine sound while revving up or wjndig out the engine is amazing! Oh can actually hear your car, although the exhaust note is too muffled. No drone with res intact.

The e92 328i has a GM unit, F10 has a ZF. Shift mapping and overall transmission tuning is similar between the two.
Sure. You felt a 1% difference in power. I believe you.

OP, find some impressions from people that have the same car that you have or hopefully some will chime in here.

BPC is known to be the most advanced tuner in the n52 world, currently.
Appreciate 2
6ixSpd6015.50
      09-17-2017, 06:45 PM   #6
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

It wont be like DS mode. Its a slight increase.

Unless you are doing headers and 3 si , it wont be day and night difference

Im not familiar with what is needed for n51 that already have 3si to make power. Never really bother to check

You want fast , then go for a supercharger. If you want the car to feel right get a tune. The car will feel more responsive and it will make your drive better bit that is about it.

Headers , 3si and tune is the middle man. Personally after doing it. I never felt like the car was slow and boring. I have an smile in my face everytime i take the back roads. I have tesrlt drove the 370z last month and i did not feel day and night difference compare to my 328, i went home with a mix feeling, dissapointed because i really liked the 370z and happy because my car felt almost as good as a 370z on the street . Im not saying 370z is bad or anything, just saying it was not day and night difference in acceleration. At least below 5500 rpm.

Before my mods there were days that i felt the car was slow and boring. I found the omly time i kind of enjoyed was in ds mode. Now i enjoy the car everytime. Especially now thst the weather is the 20s degrees.

Last edited by rick100; 09-17-2017 at 06:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 08:54 PM   #7
German Straight-6
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
Sure. You felt a 1% difference in power. I believe you.

OP, find some impressions from people that have the same car that you have or hopefully some will chime in here.

BPC is known to be the most advanced tuner in the n52 world, currently.
I have direct experience modding the exhaust on the n52 and honestly, you’ve probided absolutely zero information to OP and then just Parrot the exact same thing that I just said.

Op, a $100 secondary delete will gain you more power and better engine sound then the muffler alone.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 10:03 AM   #8
N52UNED
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328i/330BPC

Being an N51 your gains with the tune will likely be a bit less than N52 owners, as N51 have less performance actually build into the motor (compression ratios, etc). But with that said, you should feel the difference.

I have a BPC tune with 3IM and will state it feels like a different car ... well because it now is .... it's a 330. From what I've read the updated AA tune is close to the BPC but with a bit less low end torque. Hearing from people who have tried both ... it seems that the BPC tune is still superior due to its additional low end torque over the AA. This is why I chose to go BPC over AA when I was in the market.

Is the difference Night and Day ... No. It's more like Evening/Late Afternoon and Night. But it's definitely worth it. It will not feel like you're in DS mode. You will gain more usable torque and HP, but not enough to feel like you've bumped up the 500+ or so RPM like the DS actually does. However it does make DS that much better.

As far as the Gen 2 exhaust ... I highly doubt you feel any gains, as it's literally the end of the equation. Even people who have had full BMW Performance exhausts have stated that they didn't feel any real difference, other than sound. It seems that the best part of the Gen 2 is the 14 lbs of weight you'll be shedding.

Although the muffler will flow better and have a sportier note, the rest of the exhaust system will still restrict it, so you won't be getting the best out of it as you can. If anything go AA / SuperSprint / or ESS catted headers along with the Gen 2 ... that will give better flow in the beginning and the end. In this case you'll definitely feel the more gains, but mostly due to the headers. If you're feeling froggy deleting the Secondary Cats will only help matters.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 04:28 PM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

You will feel a difference with tune alone

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 09:18 PM   #10
BimmerNugget
Crazy Frog
United_States
Rep
Drives: L.L.Bean Bootmobile

Thank you all! I guess I will just have to stick to AA exhaust and AA/BPC tune. I hope these mods will keep me interested until I can afford an F30 335/340. Currently 2 semesters away from a B.S. accounting degree
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 12:54 AM   #11
tlow98
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I have direct experience modding the exhaust on the n52 and honestly, you’ve probided absolutely zero information to OP and then just Parrot the exact same thing that I just said.

Op, a $100 secondary delete will gain you more power and better engine sound then the muffler alone.
When are they going to ban you again? Do we have to report you each time you come back here?
Appreciate 1
JohnG716.00