E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Door trim clips: white, tan, gray... red?

09-18-2017, 03:16 AM   #1
slinkygn
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i M-Sport

Door trim clips: white, tan, gray... red?

'07 335i here. Swapping out door trim, as the old trim was pretty beat up, and of course I'm needing to buy a number of door trim clips as well. RealOEM mentions that four of the clips on the front doors are supposed to be gray, as opposed to the rest which are white. Doesn't seem to specify which ones, though; took me a while to figure out that it's the four that run alongside/closest to the door hinge. So that problem is solved, finally.

But it also lists a total of 9 clips per side for the rear: seven white, one tan, and one... red? I don't ever remember seeing a red clip on my door panel. I think the tan one is the second closest one to the back of the car (please correct me if I'm wrong!), but no idea where to put a red clip -- for that matter, I can only find 8 clip holders on each back door, period!

Does anyone know where red door trim clips are used? Is the red a replacement for the tan (or vice versa) that they just forgot to write up as such? Or have you guys ever seen that mysterious red clip in your car and know where it goes? (Photos welcome!)

Last edited by slinkygn; 09-24-2017 at 03:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 03:17 AM   #2
slinkygn
Private
United_States
Rep

Bumping in the hopes *someone* has seen the mysterious red clip!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 07:51 AM   #3
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
do you mean these red clips?

More shots in my door card DIY

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...&highlight=DIY
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 11:30 AM   #4
slinkygn
Private
United_States
Rep

Those are nearly certainly the clips! Thank you for that; that's the first I'd even seen of them. It would seem fitment is predictably a bit different on the coupe vs the sedan; RealOEM shows one red clip and one tan per rear door for my E90, and the location of the tan would overlap with one of the reds here, so I may be able to fashion a guess - but the mystery of why it lists 9 clips and I see 8 places for clips on the door doesn't help.

So if any sedan owners can provide that sort of info/photo re: their rear door clips, that'd be really helpful in figuring this out. But like I said - this is still the first example I've seen of those red clips being on an E9x (searching for images is tricky, it turns out!). Thank you for that!

PS that DIY of yours is pretty great. The finished product looks fantastic.
Appreciate 0