E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Taking battery out and right back in?

09-26-2017, 12:22 PM   #1
gotturbo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: TiAg E90 335I

Taking battery out and right back in?

Ok, so I'm asking for a friend of course.. who may or may not have spilled over a gallon of used fryer oil in his trunk! He knew it was solid coming out of the fridge that morning and he would have to make sure and get it out and put it in the dumpster at work and not forget because it would be liquid again after work. But he forgot, sadly. Yes, it was me, whatever!! Anyway I need to get the battery out and clean I down in the well it sits in. Any thing special I need to do before or after the removal and reinstallation of the same battery? Or is it just straight up simple like a normal car if you are not putting a new one in? I know my friend will very much appreciate any insight...
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 12:37 PM   #2
balxoscar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Probably broken

09-26-2017, 12:50 PM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

All you need is a 10MM 1/4-drive ratchet. You do not need to crank down on the nuts on the post clamps because they just basically lock and unlock the clamp around the battery post. You have to be careful of damaging the IBS (negative cable) because there is a circuit card in the negative cable clamp. The BST (positive cable) has a few wires that plug into it, so take a pic of the battery before you start for reference. There is a "shipping" connector in the battery box. Find it and tag it as not being connected so that it doesn't confuse you later upon reinstalling the battery.

Make sure to disconnect the vent tube (and reconnect it upon installation). All that said, the battery is a PIA to get out of the battery box because the loose cables get in the way. It's heavy of course and take some finessing to get out. My suggestion is get a third hand to hold the cables out of the way (perhaps your "friend").

Good luck with it.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 12:58 PM   #4
gotturbo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by balxoscar View Post
😞I had that coming... lol. I can laugh about it now!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 01:03 PM   #5
gotturbo
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks Efthreeoh! So no registration issues or anything like that when just putting the same one back in..? Oh, and I won't be getting that friend to help because he is a dumbass!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 01:08 PM   #6
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotturbo View Post
Thanks Efthreeoh! So no registration issues or anything like that when just putting the same one back in..? Oh, and I won't be getting that friend to help because he is a dumbass!
No registration is required. I suggest some duct tape to hold the cables up and out of the way.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 01:12 PM   #7
gotturbo
Private First Class
Rep

Perfect, thank you! Duct tape sounds like a great idea.
Appreciate 0