BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Modesta BC-08? Seeking opinions from detailers and customers

09-26-2017, 03:03 PM   #1
STK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Modesta BC-08? Seeking opinions from detailers and customers

Modesta has an "entry level" coating called BC-08 that runs about as much as the pro coatings from other suppliers, about $1000 in my area. They advertise it for loaners, DDs, and older vehicles. I've seen it described as a 3-year+ product. I can't seem to find reviews on the intertubes. Anyone have experience with this product? A lot of high-end detailers carry it, some that also carry the usual suspects.

Also, does anyone have experience recoating a vehicle. Does the old product need to be sanded off to get new coating to function correctly? Is is removed chemically? Or is it just polished/corrected before a new coating goes on? Do you have to use the same brand on a recoat for best results? Just trying to avoid surprises later. Lots of questions...
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 03:22 PM   #2
Mosely
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 | '20 X5 | '07 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by STK View Post
Modesta has an "entry level" coating called BC-08 that runs about as much as the pro coatings from other suppliers, about $1000 in my area. They advertise it for loaners, DDs, and older vehicles. I've seen it described as a 3-year+ product. I can't seem to find reviews on the intertubes. Anyone have experience with this product? A lot of high-end detailers carry it, some that also carry the usual suspects.

Also, does anyone have experience recoating a vehicle. Does the old product need to be sanded off to get new coating to function correctly? Is is removed chemically? Or is it just polished/corrected before a new coating goes on? Do you have to use the same brand on a recoat for best results? Just trying to avoid surprises later. Lots of questions...
Is that just for the coating itself or including labor? I ended up going with Opticoat Pro Plus on my '18 that just came in, warrantied for 7 years. One of the high-end detailers in the area was offering Modesta but it was 2-3x the price and I just didn't see any added benefit for a DD, maybe for a show car it's better? As with all coatings though, I think its the prep work and detailer familiarity with the given product that matters more than anything.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 06:32 AM   #3
Bruce_SC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Truck

Modesta BC-08

Quote:

STK, Great questions, and I hope I can give you some insight.

BC (Body Coat) -08 is a Neo-Silica Matrix coating. It has a high Silica Content, and is meant to be, as you stated, Modesta's entry level option...However, don't get feel that would equate to inferior. This is a really great coating option for those individuals who want the benefits of a Modesta coating, but don't want to jump into the higher end options that Modesta offers. This coating is designed to wear over time and as you stated above is rated at 2-3+ years depending on the care and maintenance (As all coatings are). This coating gives you tremendous water behavior, makes cleaning much easier and enhances a properly polished and prepped vehicle.

It is still a Professional Installation only as all Modesta Coatings are.

Now, to your question on removal of the coating. That is a broad question, based off what coating you had applied to the vehicle. If the coating was applied correctly and evenly, then most would need abrasion to remove them which would be in the form of possibly a compounding step and then a polishing step to refine the finish again.
If however you had a coating applied incorrectly and there were areas of coating build up (high spots), then some of those may need to be lightly sanded just to bring them down to a lower level.

This is why, choose your installer first, product second.

I hope this helps with your questions pertaining to Modesta BC-08. Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 06:33 AM   #4
Bruce_SC
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Coating

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimma View Post
Is that just for the coating itself or including labor? I ended up going with Opticoat Pro Plus on my '18 that just came in, warrantied for 7 years. One of the high-end detailers in the area was offering Modesta but it was 2-3x the price and I just didn't see any added benefit for a DD, maybe for a show car it's better? As with all coatings though, I think its the prep work and detailer familiarity with the given product that matters more than anything.
That last sentence says it all.

Installer first, Product second.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 10:35 AM   #5
STK
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_SC View Post
STK, Great questions, and I hope I can give you some insight.

BC (Body Coat) -08 is a Neo-Silica Matrix coating. It has a high Silica Content, and is meant to be, as you stated, Modesta's entry level option...However, don't get feel that would equate to inferior. This is a really great coating option for those individuals who want the benefits of a Modesta coating, but don't want to jump into the higher end options that Modesta offers. This coating is designed to wear over time and as you stated above is rated at 2-3+ years depending on the care and maintenance (As all coatings are). This coating gives you tremendous water behavior, makes cleaning much easier and enhances a properly polished and prepped vehicle.

It is still a Professional Installation only as all Modesta Coatings are.

Now, to your question on removal of the coating. That is a broad question, based off what coating you had applied to the vehicle. If the coating was applied correctly and evenly, then most would need abrasion to remove them which would be in the form of possibly a compounding step and then a polishing step to refine the finish again.
If however you had a coating applied incorrectly and there were areas of coating build up (high spots), then some of those may need to be lightly sanded just to bring them down to a lower level.

This is why, choose your installer first, product second.

I hope this helps with your questions pertaining to Modesta BC-08. Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Bruce
Thanks for the info on the recoat. So we're talking full cost every 2-3 years and maybe more if sanding is needed. But it's done regularly by detailers and not a proble. Great! Sounds like a longer lasting product may be worth it. But let me give you more info. Maybe I'm not the right candidate for a coating. btw- There are a bunch of good shops in the DC/Baltimore/Philly area.

I will be using the car as a DD or 3-4 days driver, track it on occasion (with track tires and pads), and drive about 6-7K a year. I know I'm not going to be a two-bucket guy every weekend. I want to make the car relatively easy to maintain. I'm going to drive it when it rains. I'm not going home and drying it off afterwards. But I don't want the wheels to become so covered with dust that they can't be easily cleaned (so a separate wheel coating) and I want to get back a good shine after a washing, protect the paint from birds, resin, tar, acids, and other environmental damage as best I can. It will be garaged at home and at work.

Maybe a coating is not the best choice. I was considering Modesta BC-08, Cquartz finest and Gyeon from reading these and other treads. If CQF or Gyeon will last longer maybe that's where I should be headed. Honestly, BC-08 is marketed by Modesta as an inferior product so they don't cut into their other products that are 2 or 3 times more expensive per application. Hence my original question.

I'm also troubled a bit by the whole "science" around these coatings. Description after description talks about the coating binding to the paint but detailers are putting the same stuff over the plastic wraps. What am I missing? It binds to paint and plastic? Shampoo and conditioner in one? Hey, I'm just a guy trying to avoid waxing every three or four months or letting the paint and wheels deteriorate. And maybe keeping a paint corrected finish without going OC.

I also have posted this reply on the DD thread so I'm not quite sure what to do. I hope the discussion consolidates in one place...
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 12:51 PM   #6
Bruce_SC
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Modesta

Quote:
Thanks for the info on the recoat. So we're talking full cost every 2-3 years and maybe more if sanding is needed. But it's done regularly by detailers and not a proble. Great! Sounds like a longer lasting product may be worth it. But let me give you more info. Maybe I'm not the right candidate for a coating. btw- There are a bunch of good shops in the DC/Baltimore/Philly area.

I will be using the car as a DD or 3-4 days driver, track it on occasion (with track tires and pads), and drive about 6-7K a year. I know I'm not going to be a two-bucket guy every weekend. I want to make the car relatively easy to maintain. I'm going to drive it when it rains. I'm not going home and drying it off afterwards. But I don't want the wheels to become so covered with dust that they can't be easily cleaned (so a separate wheel coating) and I want to get back a good shine after a washing, protect the paint from birds, resin, tar, acids, and other environmental damage as best I can. It will be garaged at home and at work.

Maybe a coating is not the best choice. I was considering Modesta BC-08, Cquartz finest and Gyeon from reading these and other treads. If CQF or Gyeon will last longer maybe that's where I should be headed. Honestly, BC-08 is marketed by Modesta as an inferior product so they don't cut into their other products that are 2 or 3 times more expensive per application. Hence my original question.

I'm also troubled a bit by the whole "science" around these coatings. Description after description talks about the coating binding to the paint but detailers are putting the same stuff over the plastic wraps. What am I missing? It binds to paint and plastic? Shampoo and conditioner in one? Hey, I'm just a guy trying to avoid waxing every three or four months or letting the paint and wheels deteriorate. And maybe keeping a paint corrected finish without going OC.

I also have posted this reply on the DD thread so I'm not quite sure what to do. I hope the discussion consolidates in one place...

STK, All great follow up questions, let's see if we can clarify some of these for you.

The application of BC-08 was not to be an inferior product, it was produced to compete with those other coatings you mentioned without the need for the superficial toppers that those other brands recommend. The only thing Modesta prefers you do it to use the maintenance products which keep the coating cleaned and looking great. So in that aspect it would be on par or better than some other companies high line.
Modesta does have the levels above that if you consideration would be to go with a coating that is rated from 3-10 years, depending on proper maintenance. Coating life is totally dependent on how well it is cared for.

With this being a daily driver and a track car at times and with how you have described your care process, a coating would be a great option for you, but don't expect the vehicle to look brand new after 2-3 years, because it sounds like you will be using it and not babying it. Nothing wrong with that, the expectations need to be understood from the start.

As far as wheels go, it would be a great idea to have those coated with a high temp resistant coating.

Now to the PPF and paint question. I don't have the scientific explanation for it, but I will get it and report back to you. I have an idea, but I don't want to actually state something that is misleading.

You will definitely not have to wax during this period, especially if you do the maintenance. That is the key, and since you do not want to wax, even better.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 02:04 PM   #7
STK
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_SC View Post
Quote:

STK, All great follow up questions, let's see if we can clarify some of these for you.

The application of BC-08 was not to be an inferior product, it was produced to compete with those other coatings you mentioned without the need for the superficial toppers that those other brands recommend. The only thing Modesta prefers you do it to use the maintenance products which keep the coating cleaned and looking great. So in that aspect it would be on par or better than some other companies high line.
Modesta does have the levels above that if you consideration would be to go with a coating that is rated from 3-10 years, depending on proper maintenance. Coating life is totally dependent on how well it is cared for.

With this being a daily driver and a track car at times and with how you have described your care process, a coating would be a great option for you, but don't expect the vehicle to look brand new after 2-3 years, because it sounds like you will be using it and not babying it. Nothing wrong with that, the expectations need to be understood from the start.

As far as wheels go, it would be a great idea to have those coated with a high temp resistant coating.

Now to the PPF and paint question. I don't have the scientific explanation for it, but I will get it and report back to you. I have an idea, but I don't want to actually state something that is misleading.

You will definitely not have to wax during this period, especially if you do the maintenance. That is the key, and since you do not want to wax, even better.

Bruce
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. My expectations are not off the charts. There are a lot of people of this forum that are fanatics about their car's appearance. Mine will not be a garage queen. At the same time, having a coating that protects the paint and wheels and lasts - making cleaning relatively easy - would be great if they work.

I guess the longest lasting product for the price using a top flight retailer seems like where I'm headed. Folks on this this and other forums have been talking up the cfinest a lot for durability. I really haven't seen many BC-08 reviews by customers on the web. I've also noticed detail shops switching products and to an outsider it's a bit confusing. Is it primarily a business decision? They don't seem to switch to a less expensive brand. It seems a car just off the boat would, on average, require much less correction. How come I feel I'm in the market for a mattress? Thx again. You've been very straightforward.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 06:34 AM   #8
Bruce_SC
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Modesta BC-08

Quote:
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. My expectations are not off the charts. There are a lot of people of this forum that are fanatics about their car's appearance. Mine will not be a garage queen. At the same time, having a coating that protects the paint and wheels and lasts - making cleaning relatively easy - would be great if they work.

I guess the longest lasting product for the price using a top flight retailer seems like where I'm headed. Folks on this this and other forums have been talking up the cfinest a lot for durability. I really haven't seen many BC-08 reviews by customers on the web. I've also noticed detail shops switching products and to an outsider it's a bit confusing. Is it primarily a business decision? They don't seem to switch to a less expensive brand. It seems a car just off the boat would, on average, require much less correction. How come I feel I'm in the market for a mattress? Thx again. You've been very straightforward.
Mattress!!! LOL!! I hear you, and you are correct in thinking that many detailers are switching. One reason is the change in the thought process of the coating manufacturers. The sale bottles by adding more and more installers in an area mentality has brought out the snake oil sales tactics, that in the end will hurt the industry. One in particular..We will call it CP, has a very large marketing campaign that gets in front of consumers and wows them with lighter attacks, flames and other visually stunning examples. They also tout a lifetime warranty...Wow! whats not to love?
Whats not to love is that in most major metro areas, there is a person slinging this on every corner, some really good detailers, some...well, you get the idea.

Each one will tell you that they are the best, thats human nature, especially for a business paying bills. It does seem like everyone has gone to the most expensive offering, and in the case of the Modesta line, they are more expensive, but one big difference is that the shops carrying Modesta are not your run of the mill shops. Most of these business have been in the business a long time, or at least in the industry. Most own and operate some of the largest facilities in the industry and all have been vetted. That means to you as a consumer that you are not going to find one on every corner. You are not going to hear outrageous claims, you will however be educated on each offering in the line-up, what benefits those have for you as a customer and also how to take care of the coating after the sale and application.
There are other coatings that have a network that can do the same thing, its an ethics thing.

As far as warranties, as mentioned earlier. Asked for the "Fine Print." These warranties are not written by Mother Theresa, they are written by lawyers to protect the company first and the consumer second. There are many things typically that you have to do as a customer to maintain this warranty and if you do have an issue, there are loopholes that usually get the company out of it.

I hope this helps you make a decision. Remember, installer first, coating second.

Bruce
Appreciate 0