ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-16-2008, 09:29 PM   #1
Santa Fe Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 2.5 Sport

Garage List
anyone else have MTEC HID ballast problems

I installed MTEC HID lights to my Zed a few monthes ago. Within a week one of the lights stopped working. After checking, identified that one of the ballasts was defective. Had it replaced under warrentee.

Installed the replacement ballast... within a week of install the new ballast stopped working. Replaced replacement ballast under warrentee.

Installed 2nd replacement ballast... Three days later the original ballast stopped working. Aahhhhhh!!!!!

If anyone has had this experience or have an idea of what is happening, please share.

BMW rear spoiler - de-badged - MTEC HIDs (DEFECTIVE) - XENESIS high beams & fogs - shadowline front grill - 20% tint - keyhole plugs - Roadster Solutions acrylic wind deflector - LeatherZ center console & door arm rests - Parrot 3100 bluetooth - USA SPEC IPod integration - Xenon interior lighting
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 11:03 PM   #2
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

MTEC is one of the worst of the kits IMO. I bought an MTEC h11 3500k hid kit about 2 years ago. 1 bulb lasted 3 minutes. I installed it, ran it, blew it, and removed it in an hour, and into the trash it went.

I'd check their harnesses to make sure the contacts are good. I've 'fixed' Kaxion and other kits like that before by re-doing the harness.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 09:52 AM   #3
Santa Fe Roadster
United_States
Rep

Garage List
who makes quality aftermarket HID?

Thanks Reach!

What is a good company for aftermarket HID lights? (headlights and fogs) Preferably one that doesn't trip the dash 'light out' warning and lasts for longer than my experience with MTEC (less than a month)!

BMW rear spoiler - de-badged - MTEC HIDs (DEFECTIVE) - XENESIS high beams & fogs - shadowline front grill - 20% tint - keyhole plugs - Roadster Solutions acrylic wind deflector - LeatherZ center console & door arm rests - Parrot 3100 bluetooth - USA SPEC IPod integration - Xenon interior lighting
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 10:14 AM   #4
Traxxer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw Z4

I've had problems with MTEC as well on my car. They lasted about a week before the ballasts stopped working. One went out, then 15 minutes passed and the other went out as well. I barely received my second set of ballasts under warranty, hopefully I have better luck then you lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 03:32 PM   #5
Santa Fe Roadster
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thumbs up Solution!!!!!!

Hope this helps anyone who has had problems with their MTEC ballasts!!!

After messing around replacing busted ballast after ballast (thinking that they were simply defective, as was suggested by Stanley @ MTEC), I realized that it was the wiring connections included in the MTEC kit that were faulty. The connections were not adequtely holding the wires connected, causing the wires to disconnect and reconnect over bumby roads, shorting out the ballasts.

Quick fix of reinforcing the wire connections and installing new replacement ballast (thanks Stanley @ MTEC) and the HID's are up and working.

Appreciate 0