Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

10-07-2017, 12:00 PM   #1
MickAdams
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 LCI M5 & Z4M Roadster

Extended warranty excess options

Hi guys,

I'm just wondering what excess option everyone has gone for with the extended warranty. My car turns 3 in a few days, so I'm looking to extend with BMW.

The options I've been given work out to be 1 claim and £250 excess is best, 2 claims and £100 is best, any more and £0 is worth it... so what do/would you all go for? Obviously it's a gamble any way, but I'm just wondering what everyone's experience is. My F10 is on 39k miles now and depending on work will normally see another 10-20k/year, so far the only warranty work I've had done has been for fixing a few interior rattles.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 04:41 AM   #2
Stur32
Rep
Drives: M5 cp

Hi,

I don't know your financial circumstances, what I do know is that the warranty will not be worth the paper it's printed on. The warranty will not be with BMW as your new car would be, it will be with an insurance company and we all know that they will do anything to get out of a claim. 40k and another possible 20k in this coming year could get expensive. Personally I'd get a work horse for about 5k for work, chop in the F10 for a new or nearly new (if you like the M5) and then when it suits use the "best car" for work.

All IMO, good luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 05:11 AM   #3
MickAdams
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 LCI M5 & Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stur32 View Post
Hi,

I don't know your financial circumstances, what I do know is that the warranty will not be worth the paper it's printed on. The warranty will not be with BMW as your new car would be, it will be with an insurance company and we all know that they will do anything to get out of a claim. 40k and another possible 20k in this coming year could get expensive. Personally I'd get a work horse for about 5k for work, chop in the F10 for a new or nearly new (if you like the M5) and then when it suits use the "best car" for work.

All IMO, good luck.
I've always found manufacturer linked warranties to be good and never had issues claiming, but 3rd party ones aren't worth having unless you'll put the time in to arguing about claims.

Getting something cheap doesn't really appeal, if I was happy with that then I'd not have the M5 to begin with It's not a case of affordability, it's just the piece of mind that anything major will be covered for a known cost, rather than the gamble of seeing what the bill is. I'll definitely be extending with the official BMW extended warranty, but I'm just wondering what people's experience of the car at this age & mileage is to make my decision on the excess to go for
Appreciate 0