E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > SULEV Warranty Question

10-12-2017, 01:21 AM   #1
Typhoon707
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW E92 328i Msport

Garage List
SULEV Warranty Question

Hi all,
I was just reading the SULEV warranty paragraphs within the BMW 3 Series Service and Warranty Guide, and found an asterisk saying:

"The California Emissions Control System Limited Warranty SULEV (PZEV) applies to all 2008 U.S. specification BMW SULEV (PZEV) vehicles sold, leased, and/or registered in California, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island or Vermont. "

Which got me excited that the warranty may be covered in Illinois. However, realizing after my excitement that it states 2008s, I tried to check if the same applied for 2013, which in a combined Service and Warranty Guide for most models in 2013, the asterisk says:

"The California Emissions Control System Limited Warranty applies to all 2013 U.S.-specification BMW SULEV(PZEV)vehicles registered in California, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island or Vermont."

The word "sold" is missing. Does this mean if something emissions related were to go wrong, I won't be covered in Illinois?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 06:07 AM   #2
Stage5Lurker
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: White Buffalo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon707
Hi all,
I was just reading the SULEV warranty paragraphs within the BMW 3 Series Service and Warranty Guide, and found an asterisk saying:

"The California Emissions Control System Limited Warranty SULEV (PZEV) applies to all 2008 U.S. specification BMW SULEV (PZEV) vehicles sold, leased, and/or registered in California, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island or Vermont. "

Which got me excited that the warranty may be covered in Illinois. However, realizing after my excitement that it states 2008s, I tried to check if the same applied for 2013, which in a combined Service and Warranty Guide for most models in 2013, the asterisk says:

"The California Emissions Control System Limited Warranty applies to all 2013 U.S.-specification BMW SULEV(PZEV)vehicles registered in California, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island or Vermont."

The word "sold" is missing. Does this mean if something emissions related were to go wrong, I won't be covered in Illinois?

Thanks!
have you compared the verbage in both warranties?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 01:18 AM   #3
Typhoon707
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW E92 328i Msport

Garage List
I mean I've seen other threads talking about how vehicles not registered in SULEV states still got their SULEV warranty upheld, so I was wondering was it because of those MYs, the vehicle just had to be sold in those states

Since the SULEV warranty is required by the law, does anyone know if the change of removing coverage for all sold in SULEV states is the result of SULEV warranty laws changing or BMW being less "generous"?
Appreciate 0