E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Starter Click No Start!

10-12-2017, 10:04 AM   #1
gentooguy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Alpine White

Starter Click No Start!

Long story short. Car battery died after four years on the dot. Got all the christmas lights on the dash etc... I had to get a jump just to get back home. Once home I tried to jump the car again with no luck. Battery wouldn't take a charge as it has bad cells. Got a new battery same specs as OEM. All electronics seem to be working fine. I put the key in ignition comes on. I put my foot on the brake and try to start the engine all I hear is a single click from the starter it does not even try to turn over. Tried tapping it a few times no luck. Car has 80,000 miles on it. Could it be the starter or is it something else? While trying to start it previously I did have the red steering wheel lock that I used Tool32 to reset the ELV counter. It worked because when I put the key fob in I can hear the steering column unlock. I'd think if the starter were bad it would try to turn over but would just keep cranking. Why just the single click? Is it seized up or something?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 11:29 AM   #2
MysticRob
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentooguy View Post
I'd think if the starter were bad it would try to turn over but would just keep cranking. Why just the single click? Is it seized up or something?
Think really hard if what you wrote makes sense. The starter is supposed to crank (aka engage and turn the flywheel) if it's working. How could it be bad if it's actually cranking? If you're hearing a single click then it could indeed be the starter, or something between the battery and starter, or the battery itself, grounds, etc.

Did you check for codes? Getting enough voltage to the starter? IBS functional?

https://www.bimmerscan.com/bmw-intel...ry-sensor-ibs/