E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > What?s this red fluid from?!

10-13-2017, 02:07 PM   #1
Bamaben
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 335i blk/blk/alum 6MT

What?s this red fluid from?!

Driver side toward front. Not trans fluid (manual trans) or power steeering (chf-11 gold)
Attached Images

It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at him-- Jack Handey

mods: blackout grill, finishing rods, badges, Blacklines.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 03:05 PM   #2
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 335i

Brake fluid?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 05:17 PM   #3
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Manual Trans can use auto fluid redline d4 and D6 is commonly
used.

I would check all your fluids except oil for a color match.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 07:47 PM   #4
Bamaben
Major
Rep

Trains is no where near this location but found out it's the fluid from a busted control arm tension strut bushing that failed

It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at him-- Jack Handey

Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      10-14-2017, 01:37 AM   #5
Monster900
Zeed
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaben View Post
Trains is no where near this location but found out it's the fluid from a busted control arm tension strut bushing that failed
Install M3 ones and be done with it unless you have AWD.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 12:50 PM   #6
Bamaben
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster900 View Post
Quote:
I would if I tracked it but since I don?t and already have more inside wear I don?t want the extra negative camber.

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 09:16 AM   #7
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
I would if I tracked it but since I don?t and already have more inside wear I don?t want the extra negative camber.
You're doing yourself a disservice.

Once you figure out that toe causes wear, not camber, all will be right with the world.
Appreciate 1
Donutz139.50
      10-16-2017, 12:19 PM   #8
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Are you sure you didn't murder something? If so, you'll need the m3 arms for better turn in to help avoid killing animals in the future
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2017, 12:42 PM   #9
robthewrench
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i

If any of your fluids are non OEM, it can be hard to identify by color alone. Have you felt it and smelled it?

Possible leaks:
- Non oem power steering
- Brake fluid from clutch or brake master cylinder
- Coolant
      10-17-2017, 06:00 AM   #10
Bamaben
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Quote:
You're doing yourself a disservice.

Once you figure out that toe causes wear, not camber, all will be right with the world.
While toe settings do affect tire wear more than camber, More negative camber does give more tire wear with the same toe setting, maybe the same wear with zero toe in which case that might cause wandering at speeds. Unless the reasoning to go M3 is so they last longer or to track the car it doesn?t do much for street use other than wear tires more. .

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 06:21 AM   #11
Dan Bilzerian
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 325i 6MT

Taste it.
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2017, 08:43 AM   #12
Bamaben
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Bilzerian View Post
Taste it.
Can?t now since it?s gone but since I don?t know what bushing fluid tastes like it wouldn?t confirm anything.

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 08:49 AM   #13
Dan Bilzerian
Major
Rep

Quote:
Can?t now since it?s gone but since I don?t know what bushing fluid tastes like it wouldn?t confirm anything.
Me either....
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 09:31 AM   #14
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
While toe settings do affect tire wear more than camber, More negative camber does give more tire wear with the same toe setting, maybe the same wear with zero toe in which case that might cause wandering at speeds. Unless the reasoning to go M3 is so they last longer or to track the car it doesn?t do much for street use other than wear tires more. .
False false fasle

True, there are limits; trade-offs start to occur once past a fairly defined threshold, but even then, driving style, tire compound, etc. have way more to do with the equation than camber alone.

I've gone from factory -0.5* of camber to -2* while keeping the same 1/16" total toe up front and the tires have worn at the same exact even rate for 10s of thousands of miles on my street-only driven E90.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 10:18 AM   #15
Bamaben
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Quote:
False false fasle

True, there are limits; trade-offs start to occur once past a fairly defined threshold, but even then, driving style, tire compound, etc. have way more to do with the equation than camber alone.

I've gone from factory -0.5* of camber to -2* while keeping the same 1/16" total toe up front and the tires have worn at the same exact even rate for 10s of thousands of miles on my street-only driven E90.
What I?ve stated is true. There?s no way more camber won?t wear the inside tire more, especially with same toe settings. More camber = more weight = more friction = more wear. Just because you don?t think so doesn?t make it false.

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 10:51 AM   #16
PourBoi-Jay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M-Sport

I don't think you need to track the car to appreciate the addition of more steering precision. Even if the tires wear slightly more due to the increased Camber (it's not increased to a significant degree, so the additional inner tire wear would be marginal, if any), the benefits to the driving experience are worthwhile in my opinion.

Either way....new control arms are in order....so why not upgrade?
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2017, 10:53 AM   #17
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
What I?ve stated is true. There?s no way more camber won?t wear the inside tire more, especially with same toe settings. More camber = more weight = more friction = more wear. Just because you don?t think so doesn?t make it false.
Says the guy with zero experience or knowledge on the subject...good luck chasing down your fluid leak.
Appreciate 1
BSM n54iS2684.50
      10-17-2017, 10:55 AM   #18
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaben
Quote:
Quote:
You can use the M3 tension struts with non-M wishbones to replace the fluid filled bushing without screwing around with camber.

With that said, I have this set up and NVH goes up quite a bit with the M3 tension struts. If your stock bushings leaked that much fluid and you didn't notice a change in handling, you're better off with stock replacements IMO.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 11:18 AM   #19
Dan Bilzerian
Major
Rep

http://en.intraxracing.nl/techniek/c...toe-intoe-out/

Too much neg camber is bad...
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 01:36 PM   #20
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Bilzerian View Post
But just enough is magical
http://winhpde.com/car-setup/track-alignment/
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 05:30 PM   #21
Bamaben
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaben
Quote:
Quote:
You can use the M3 tension struts with non-M wishbones to replace the fluid filled bushing without screwing around with camber.

With that said, I have this set up and NVH goes up quite a bit with the M3 tension struts. If your stock bushings leaked that much fluid and you didn't notice a change in handling, you're better off with stock replacements IMO.
I did notice vibration in steering wheel recently at highway speeds so yes, def from busted bushing.

Appreciate 0