BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-18-2017, 11:29 AM   #1
jjl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 X3 M40i

M40i - spec Adaptive M or not?

So my only complaint about my '15 M-Sport X5 is I would have spec'd the Adaptive M suspension (bough the car off the lot)..i find on certain roads the vertical movement is too much with the standard suspension, it bobs over bumps and then rebounds pretty hard. I know the M40i comes with M Suspension standard..wondering if this stiffer suspension will suit my needs or if Adaptive M should be ordered in addition to the standard M Suspension. Guess only a test drive would really tell but it's rare to find a car spec'd with Adaptive M that you can actually try before you buy. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 11:53 AM   #2
ZHPsedan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 750i

Garage List
2022 BMW 750i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl View Post
So my only complaint about my '15 M-Sport X5 is I would have spec'd the Adaptive M suspension (bough the car off the lot)..i find on certain roads the vertical movement is too much with the standard suspension, it bobs over bumps and then rebounds pretty hard. I know the M40i comes with M Suspension standard..wondering if this stiffer suspension will suit my needs or if Adaptive M should be ordered in addition to the standard M Suspension. Guess only a test drive would really tell but it's rare to find a car spec'd with Adaptive M that you can actually try before you buy. Any thoughts?
M40i comes standard with Dynamic Damper Control giving you the option of comfort mode.
On the website it says adaptive M drops it .4".
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 01:49 PM   #3
jjl
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHPsedan View Post
M40i comes standard with Dynamic Damper Control giving you the option of comfort mode.
Not sure you're correct, according to the Build feature on BMW's website you can spec the xDrive 30i only with the Dynamic Handling Package and also choose Dynamic Damper Control as an additional option. The M40i comes standard with M Sport Suspension and you can add Adaptive M as an option. I always thought BMW's suspension options for the X vehicles was too confusing..but i don't think DDC or DHP is an option on the M40i. I could be wrong.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 04:49 PM   #4
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
First, congratulations on going for the new X3. It will be interesting to hear your comments about how you like it vs the X5.

Second, I've got adaptive suspension on my 328 m-sport and love it. I cannot compare with static m suspension but plan to spec my X3 with adaptive suspension because of my favorable experience on my current car.

I'm guessing you'll get about 50/50 response on active vs. standard. I[m sure I'm bias and oversimplifying , but after reading this forum for years, the 50 percent who like it are members who have it and the other 50% are members who don't have it and don't think its worth it. I'm sure there are posts from those who had it and switched back to standard, but I think that's the minority.

I doubt you can go wrong either way. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 07:28 PM   #5
falsek1ng
Rep
Drives: Mazdaspeed 3

The .4" ride height drop is news to me! My order is week 43 (next week). I have the 21" wheels and if the model in their launch vids has adaptive I need to get it, because the wheel gap should be minimized on such a huge rim I think. Can anyone confirm if that phytonic blue with 21s in all the launch vids had adaptive?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 07:40 PM   #6
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by falsek1ng View Post
The .4" ride height drop is news to me! My order is week 43 (next week). I have the 21" wheels and if the model in their launch vids has adaptive I need to get it, because the wheel gap should be minimized on such a huge rim I think. Can anyone confirm if that phytonic blue with 21s in all the launch vids had adaptive?
The gap will be the same. Someone on another thread was complaining that the bigger rims should have bigger rubber, which makes no sense because the circumference of the tire needs to remain roughly static regardless of wheel. Otherwise the odometer and speedometer aren’t calibrated right. I did the math on all of the tire sizes for the 19”, 20”, and 21” and they are all almost the same at about 29” in diameter.

Oh, and congrats. If you’re week 43 they probably started building your car already! The week 42 guys were saying theirs started last Wednesday.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 08:07 PM   #7
falsek1ng
Rep
Drives: Mazdaspeed 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
The gap will be the same. Someone on another thread was complaining that the bigger rims should have bigger rubber, which makes no sense because the circumference of the tire needs to remain roughly static regardless of wheel. Otherwise the odometer and speedometer aren’t calibrated right. I did the math on all of the tire sizes for the 19”, 20”, and 21” and they are all almost the same at about 29” in diameter.

Oh, and congrats. If you’re week 43 they probably started building your car already! The week 42 guys were saying theirs started last Wednesday.
Thanks, I'm pumped! Got it, the gap will be the same as the other rims, but thinking proportionally the 21s might look better with the slightly tighter adaptive suspension setup. I may give them a ring tomorrow and see if it's a possiblity to spec still.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 08:23 PM   #8
dkerr
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X5, '15 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHPsedan View Post
Quote:
No. If you want dynamic dampers on the M40i then you need to spec Adaptive M suspension ($700 here in the US). Without this you will still be able to adjust the driving mode to e.g sport or eco pro but it will adjust the steering and engine/drivetrain response only, not the suspension.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 08:43 PM   #9
jjl
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkerr View Post
No. If you want dynamic dampers on the M40i then you need to spec Adaptive M suspension ($700 here in the US). Without this you will still be able to adjust the driving mode to e.g sport or eco pro but it will adjust the steering and engine/drivetrain response only, not the suspension.
Precisely my understanding as well. If I order the M40i i will definitely spec the Adaptive M suspension.
Appreciate 1
sygazelle11113.50
      10-19-2017, 09:00 AM   #10
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
This subject has been beaten to death.

IMO, Adaptive M suspension is a must have.

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2017, 04:42 PM   #11
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4, 18 X3 M40i

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kozzi View Post
This subject has been beaten to death.

IMO, Adaptive M suspension is a must have.

On my order 2VF - Adaptive M Suspension was standard on the M40i
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 04:46 PM   #12
bwcooper
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slalom View Post
On my order 2VF - Adaptive M Suspension was standard on the M40i
Double check. On my order, it was NOT standard. Costs $700. The M Sport Suspension (704) is standard, but that's different.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 05:31 PM   #13
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwcooper View Post
Double check. On my order, it was NOT standard. Costs $700. The M Sport Suspension (704) is standard, but that's different.
The packages seem to vary a lot market to market. For example the Netherlands has Sunstone Metallic as an option as well as Merino Leather. The US does not have that. Canada does not have a working configurator, but the dealer guide and my order included 2VF as standard on the X3 M40i.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 06:52 PM   #14
bwcooper
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The packages seem to vary a lot market to market. For example the Netherlands has Sunstone Metallic as an option as well as Merino Leather. The US does not have that. Canada does not have a working configurator, but the dealer guide and my order included 2VF as standard on the X3 M40i.
Oh right....I didn't notice you were in Canada.

I do find it really odd that the packages and standard equipment are so different from region to region. Hard to believe that what people want in each region vary that much. I personally think BMW could be much more efficient if they would streamline their packages into more "make sense" groupings and then offer the same thing across the world (outside of petrol vs diesel which is a real demand difference). The Japanese carmakers seem to be much better about this and this may be why they lead the world in reliability as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 01:32 AM   #15
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwcooper View Post
Oh right....I didn't notice you were in Canada.

I do find it really odd that the packages and standard equipment are so different from region to region. Hard to believe that what people want in each region vary that much. I personally think BMW could be much more efficient if they would streamline their packages into more "make sense" groupings and then offer the same thing across the world (outside of petrol vs diesel which is a real demand difference). The Japanese carmakers seem to be much better about this and this may be why they lead the world in reliability as well.
I would prefer BMW offer no packages and have each option a line item so customers could customize their vehicle and not pay for unwanted options that are bundled together.

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 2
      10-20-2017, 02:30 PM   #16
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
I would prefer BMW offer no packages and have each option a line item so customers could customize their vehicle and not pay for unwanted options that are bundled together.
When I bought my E30 it was that way. Only the Japanese were forcing customers to take packages. Then the accountants took over the business and found that packages maximize profit. Fully a quarter of sales price can be in packages and options. Manufacturer profit on packages and options is one third more than it is on the base vehicle.

Also packages and options depreciate (as much s 100%) much more. So your best bet is to but a base level of the more expensive vehicle. Don't load up an X3, get an X5 instead.

Of course I won't be taking my advice, because I want to drive a smaller vehicle with lots of toys!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 08:05 PM   #17
dkerr
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X5, '15 X3

Quote:
Quote:
When I bought my E30 it was that way. Only the Japanese were forcing customers to take packages. Then the accountants took over the business and found that packages maximize profit. Fully a quarter of sales price can be in packages and options. Manufacturer profit on packages and options is one third more than it is on the base vehicle.

Also packages and options depreciate (as much s 100%) much more. So your best bet is to but a base level of the more expensive vehicle. Don't load up an X3, get an X5 instead.

Of course I won't be taking my advice, because I want to drive a smaller vehicle with lots of toys!
This is why I lease not buy. Let BMW financial services deal with the depreciation. Well actually we did buy the wife's X3 but that is because we will keep it 5 or 6 years. But it is three years old this month and my dealer sent a letter suggesting I should trade it in for something new... the letter suggested that it would be worth in region of $17K, way less than what the residual value would have been had I leased. So I lease my own cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 08:40 AM   #18
bwcooper
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Certainly from a customer standpoint, I'd rather just pick and choose only the options that I want to pay for and not fool with any packages! I just am astounded that the packages vary so much from region to region, even for cars made in the same factory. Seems like an unnecessary variation that only can add cost and degrade reliability. If they don't standardize, I agree they should make them all individual options. Right now they are imposing the worst of both worlds--higher cost and lower customer satisfaction.
Appreciate 0