E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > do I remove my license plate when selling car in california?

10-18-2017, 12:23 PM   #1
mellowman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

do I remove my license plate when selling car in california?

Hi,

I tried searching online but some links say its best to remove the plate and some don't say to remove it, so I'm turning to the forums here for the best answer of people who have sold their cars privately to other people.

when I sell my car privately to someone here in california, do I need to remove and keep the license plate from the car, or do I leave them on?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 12:48 PM   #2
hOlykamOtie*
Second Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep
Drives: Honda Civic

The previous owner kept his vanity plate and I received a new plate when it was registered at a DMV office. So, I think you have the option to retain your own license plate especially if it's a vanity.

Hope this helps!
      10-18-2017, 01:08 PM   #3
robthewrench
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i

Keep your plate. Here in Ohio, even when you buy a used car from a private owner you can obtain a temp plate through the BMV.

When I buy a used car from a private party, I either 'borrow' the plate off one of my other cars, or get a temp plate from the BMV.

I don't let the buyer use my plate.
      10-18-2017, 01:21 PM   #4
mellowman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

thanks for the replies. I think i found the answer as well from this link.

https://www.dmv.org/ca-california/license-plates.php

Surrender California License Plates

In general, CA license plates are not surrendered to the DMV. They stay with the vehicle when it is bought or sold.
If you have a specialty license plate, it stays with you (the "plate-holder") to be transferred to your next car if you choose to do so. Exceptions occur only with certain plates in the case of death, such as with disability license plates.
NOTE: If you have a standard plate but then choose to apply for a specialty license plate, you will exchange your standard plate when you pick up your specialty plate from the DMV.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 02:03 PM   #5
MysticRob
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellowman View Post
thanks for the replies. I think i found the answer as well from this link.

https://www.dmv.org/ca-california/license-plates.php

Surrender California License Plates

In general, CA license plates are not surrendered to the DMV. They stay with the vehicle when it is bought or sold.
If you have a specialty license plate, it stays with you (the "plate-holder") to be transferred to your next car if you choose to do so. Exceptions occur only with certain plates in the case of death, such as with disability license plates.
NOTE: If you have a standard plate but then choose to apply for a specialty license plate, you will exchange your standard plate when you pick up your specialty plate from the DMV.
So do you have a personalized plate, or no?
If so, keep it.
If not, leave it on the car.