BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Chevy SS with SSV badges?

10-26-2017, 07:03 AM   #1
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Chevy SS with SSV badges?

Okay, I usually don't get stumped on car models, but this morning I saw what looked like a Chevy SS. However it had an "SSV" badge on the left side of the trunk. It had what I'm pretty sure was an Impala badge on the trunk center. Buddy of mine has an SS but I've not seen it in awhile. So was it a police version of the SS?
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 10-27-2017 at 05:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 07:10 AM   #2
Oxymoron
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI MGM

SSV is an Aussie badge I'm pretty sure. Its basically an SS with a premium pack. More leather and features etc
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 08:34 AM   #3
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

https://www.holden.com.au/cars/commo...ine-sportwagon
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 09:28 AM   #4
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Yep, definitely sounds like someone modded their SS with Holden branding. Sort of like the JDM rebadge exercise, but this would "ADM" I suppose.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 09:38 AM   #5
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Really miss Holden, would so buy that Wagon, how good is it. Seats 5 too, it's a big family car not a mid size.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 07:02 PM   #6
angelr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 aw/ir m coupe, 2013 S4

Yup Holden as stated. Sadly they have now ceased all domestic car production down under.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 05:31 AM   #7
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

I was unsure if the car was actually a Chevrolet SS. I never got to see the front end of the car where I know there is a Chevy Bow Tie on the grill. The pics of the Chevy SS shows a Bow Tie on the rear deck lid. The car I saw did not have a Bow Tie on the rear deck lid, but did have an approx. 3 in. diameter round, silver, badge that looked like the old Chevy Impala badge. That along with the "SSV" badging to the lower left of the center badge. The tail lights look slightly different than those on the Chevy SS.

Now that I've had time to review pics of the Chevy SS, the car I saw yesterday seemed a bit different. Perhaps it was a true Holden Commodore.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 07:11 AM   #8
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Sometimes threads are retitled to ease moderation. It is much easier to keep track of threads’ topics when you look at the list and the title reflects the content as specifically as possible. This has the benefit of making it easier for forum readers to determine if they are interested in reading it too. Finally, it makes it more likely to be found in a future search. Thanks for understanding.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 07:15 AM   #9
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Now that I've had time to review pics of the Chevy SS, the car I saw yesterday seemed a bit different. Perhaps it was a true Holden Commodore.
As far as I know, there is no sheet metal or other major parts of the exterior that would be difficult to change that are unique to the Holden. So, it is possible that whoever owns the car was simply very thorough about the conversion process. Or, it could have been a true Holden that was a manufacturer car or something of that nature too. I’ve seen one or two in Detroit in the past (long before the SS or Caprice Police Vehicle were ever brought over here).
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 09:35 AM   #10
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

It cannot be a Holden or you would notice the steering wheel in the correct place.
Appreciate 1
ShocknAwe3232.50
      10-27-2017, 09:40 AM   #11
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
It cannot be a Holden or you would notice the steering wheel in the correct place.
There were LHD Commodore exports long before the car came to the US. They may not exist with Holden badging though - that I don't know. However, the OP wasn't even sure about the make. And "SSV" may be used on export models too - again, not sure.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 09:47 AM   #12
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I only saw the car from the rear and for less than a minute. It had dark windows, I didn't look if it was left or right hand drive. I saw the car in the burbs of Washington, DC., there is good chance to see foreign cars. The tag was straight up Virginia. It was a vanity plate, something like 2-BAD-EH.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 09:50 AM   #13
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
There were LHD Commodore exports long before the car came to the US. They may not exist with Holden badging though - that I don't know. However, the OP wasn't even sure about the make. And "SSV" may be used on export models too - again, not sure.
Which is why I didn't use "Chevy SS" in the title . Didn't want the answers to just circle around the US Chevrolet SS.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 10:23 AM   #14
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It was a vanity plate, something like 2-BAD-EH.
That would seem to me to be a pretty good sign this was an enthusiasts car with customized badges and not either a test car or some diplomatic car of some type. I suppose the latter is still possible - we are way past my level of knowledge about what foreign diplomats and their families are able to import and drive and what they do to their cars.

Quote:
Which is why I didn't use "Chevy SS" in the title . Didn't want the answers to just circle around the US Chevrolet SS.
Touche. But, hence the question mark - the title reflects what the car appeared to be, with some degree of uncertainty.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 11:18 AM   #15
smrtypants44
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i

Someone did something similar here in Tulsa. I think it’s pretty cool.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 05:07 PM   #16
shobotan
Australia
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i Coupe

It's not uncommon to see the reverse here (AUS), where the Holden badges are replaced with the Chevy bowtie, especially since the LS engines were first fitted to Holdens.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 06:25 PM   #17
AndyX5d
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240 Xi

This is a friend of a friend's conversion. Apparently a lot of people take the SS and rebadge and even some body parts like lips / spoilers to the Holden counter part. It makes them look soooooo much better. Basically just remove all the chrome that Chevy uses and rebadge it.
Appreciate 1
eleniki69.00
      10-27-2017, 09:04 PM   #18
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtypants44 View Post

Someone did something similar here in Tulsa. I think it’s pretty cool.
Bada Boom, that's it Brother! That's exactly the configuration I saw yesterday.

Problem solved. A badge-engineering job.
Appreciate 0