BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-01-2017, 04:36 PM   #1
Sharpedge
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Towbar question

Anyone opted for the towbar on the new X3? I'm guessing that roof mounted bikes on the M40i is not going to be great for fuel economy. Fitting bikes to the roof of my Q5 is a bit of a pain so I'm thinking the factory fitted towbar to mount the bikes on the back. I will then also have an option to use a bike trailer to cart the motorbike to track days.

Does the towbar fold out of the way when not in use and does having it fitted result in a loss of an add on (I've not gone for the foot waggle boot opening system) possible loss of boot 12v supply (if there is one?).
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 08:43 PM   #2
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpedge View Post
Anyone opted for the towbar on the new X3? I'm guessing that roof mounted bikes on the M40i is not going to be great for fuel economy. Fitting bikes to the roof of my Q5 is a bit of a pain so I'm thinking the factory fitted towbar to mount the bikes on the back. I will then also have an option to use a bike trailer to cart the motorbike to track days.

Does the towbar fold out of the way when not in use and does having it fitted result in a loss of an add on (I've not gone for the foot waggle boot opening system) possible loss of boot 12v supply (if there is one?).
I ordered it but do not have my car yet (and won't get it until probably the end of the month). The only clue as to how it will look is from a pic from another thread in this forum showing some accessories for the new X3, including a bike rack. If you look at this picture, it looks like it is just built into the bottom part of the bumper, so there is no folding out of the way. It just sticks out a bit, and the bike rack bar seems to insert right into it.

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...lg=542&slide=4

I have been trying to find out if this disables the foot waggle sensor (I had heard in the past that the dealer installed option did), but the way it is designed I am hoping it does not. The dealer installed BMW OEM one seems to come from under the bumper (so I can see it interfering) whereas this factory installed one seems to come out from the bumper itself.

My intention is to use it for a bike rack. I don't think anyone here who ordered the hitch has received their X3 yet. I am glad that they finally have a factory installed option for this. I was getting quotes from BMW dealers for the dealer installed option to around the $1500-$2000 when I was looking for one for my current X3 (never did it). The factory option is just $550 here in the US.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 09:13 PM   #3
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4, 18 X3 M40i

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
No mention of the loss of foot waggle sensor on the German site. But now I am concerned. Might be worthwhile checking with your dealer.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 09:25 AM   #4
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Yeah, they let you choose comfort access and the swiveling towbar without any notifications that you'd lose any functionality. On the Mini Countryman you can't get both the tow bar and the electric tailgate.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 02:59 PM   #5
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
I received confirmation that Comfort opening is NOT affected by the tow hitch. Also that the hitch stows away - clearly in the product guide.

We seem to be chasing our tails around this. BMW X3 is actually a unicorn going backwards.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 04:47 PM   #6
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slalom View Post
I received confirmation that Comfort opening is NOT affected by the tow hitch. Also that the hitch stows away - clearly in the product guide.

We seem to be chasing our tails around this. BMW X3 is actually a unicorn going backwards.
The 'stowing away' portion language is not in the US site, so I am still a little skeptical since I don't think I've ever seen them have a receiver hitch stowaway and so far the pics don't show it. If it is, though, that would be fantastic and even moreso that it would not affect Comfort Access. That would be great.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 06:25 PM   #7
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
It may be wishful thinking on my part, but the code for the electric tow bar is 3AC - in the US and Canada. That is also the code used in other markets as well. It is and has been the code for the electric storable tow hitch. Because there is a single production line, it would be a recipe for errors to have the same code for different options.

However, that does not mean that we will actually be getting 3AC.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 04:33 PM   #8
cedwards
Rep
Drives: 520d MSport

Hi there,

I am new to the site, what an amazing source of information it is !

I was about to place an order for a 2.0D Msport which had a combination of the comfort package (includes comfort access - the foot waggling option referred to in posts above) plus the tow bar - electrically operated.

My dealer has today emailed me in response to my question (which was based on the discussions above) to say that having the tow bar means that the comfort access will not work.

I presume that some of those involved in the above discussions must have received their vehicles by now - surely there must be a definitive answer to this ? I am nervous about just taking the dealer's word on this as I get the impression he has not seen this spec on a physical car. Would be really grateful for your input. I was getting the impression that you pressed a button somewhere in the boot which made the tow bar retract, which gave me hope that you could still waggle your foot under the car and open the boot. Hopefully the answer does not vary according to the market (eg US vs UK models).

On top of this came further disappointment in that I have been told the tartufo exclusive merino leather seats are currently only available on the X3 40i and not the less exciting model I have in mind. Plus the sensatec dashboard is also currently not available. I am clearly not on a roll in terms of my options ! At least my other choices (M Sport plus pack, Premium pack, Visibility pack, heated steering wheel, heated rear seats, wireless phone charging, digital cockpit, apple carplay, adaptive suspension) seem to be more straightforward !

In case anyone is interested, having had my heart set on the lovely rich colour of the tartufo seats, am now going for carbon black with cognac seats and fineline cove trim despite the fact I've never seen those seats in real life which makes me nervous (albeit I have seen plenty of useful photos and the whole "is it orange or not" debates on this website).

Kind regards,
Charles
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 04:50 PM   #9
XXX3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Bike rack

The only hitch receiver that is hidden is the Stealth Hitch. The receiver can be easily removed when not in use. I’ve decided to use this hitch for a hitch mounted Thule bike rack. Not installed yet, so no photos. I do have a BMW crossbar set up on the roof with a Thule bike tray. Haven’t noticed any measurable loss of mpg, some wind noise from the actual bike.
https://stealthhitches.com/products/...5-2018-present
Attached Images

2013 Boss 302 Race Red (sold)

Last edited by XXX3; 09-19-2018 at 04:53 PM.. Reason: Add photo
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 02:31 AM   #10
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedwards View Post
I was about to place an order for a 2.0D Msport which had a combination of the comfort package (includes comfort access - the foot waggling option referred to in posts above) plus the tow bar - electrically operated.

My dealer has today emailed me in response to my question (which was based on the discussions above) to say that having the tow bar means that the comfort access will not work.
I'm not sure your dealer is right - my F31 340i had comfort access, the electric towbar, and the foot waggle worked to open the boot exactly as expected - whether i had the towbar hidden or deployed.

I can't see why that would change for the G01 X3.

It doesn't work on the North American version because they have a completely different towing system and the hardware is very different.

Sadly my car is due to be on the ship this weekend to come over for my mid-October delivery, but i have access to another G01 X3 so i will try it tomorrow and report back.
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 02:49 AM   #11
cedwards
Rep

Hi verysideways, how funny, I had just seen another of your posts where you set out the spec of your x3 40i beauty and was going to message you about it as I picked up on the fact you had the combination of comfort access and tow bar.

After reading the response of xxx3, was thinking something was different about UK as the options box makes it clear the tow bar is electronically folding and I had seen a you tube video where it seemed to show the folding motion in action, although it did not comment on comfort access. I only want the tow bar for a rear mounted bike rack, would be a shame to lose the gimmick of the comfort access.

That's very kind of you if you could check and come back to me - much appreciated. Hopefully it is as per your 340i.

Judging by the dates you quoted, unless my less exciting engine builds more quickly, I'm not likely to receive it for quite a while ! Oh well, not in a hurry really. Only just had to pay for four new tyres on my current 5 series so nice to get some use out of them...

Xxx3 - thanks for your response - beauty of a Lemond. My earliest memory of watching cycling was screaming at the TV hoping he would finish ahead of Fignon on the Champs Elysees TT !!
Appreciate 2
XXX3154.50
      09-20-2018, 06:16 AM   #12
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G01 30d

Quote:
Hi verysideways, how funny, I had just seen another of your posts where you set out the spec of your x3 40i beauty and was going to message you about it as I picked up on the fact you had the combination of comfort access and tow bar.

After reading the response of xxx3, was thinking something was different about UK as the options box makes it clear the tow bar is electronically folding and I had seen a you tube video where it seemed to show the folding motion in action, although it did not comment on comfort access. I only want the tow bar for a rear mounted bike rack, would be a shame to lose the gimmick of the comfort access.

That's very kind of you if you could check and come back to me - much appreciated. Hopefully it is as per your 340i.

Judging by the dates you quoted, unless my less exciting engine builds more quickly, I'm not likely to receive it for quite a while ! Oh well, not in a hurry really. Only just had to pay for four new tyres on my current 5 series so nice to get some use out of them...

Xxx3 - thanks for your response - beauty of a Lemond. My earliest memory of watching cycling was screaming at the TV hoping he would finish ahead of Fignon on the Champs Elysees TT !!
It has been proven in other threads that the European Spec factory mounted retractable tow bar is NOT removing the kick-to-open the boot of the Comfort Access option.
But again, I can't test myself, so it's up to you to search for that reply to double check. :-)

/n
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2018, 02:38 AM   #13
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Just got into bed in San Francisco after a 4 hour delay taking off from Heathrow and an 11 hour flight... but... I checked kick to open and kick to close on my friend’s X3 M40i with electric towbar and both worked

And tomorrow (later today) I pick up my Corvette for the next 2 weeks
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 03:39 AM   #14
cedwards
Rep

Verysideways, you are an absolute star. Thanks ever so much for checking up on this, great news indeed. Enjoy the corvette, lucky you !!
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2018, 03:26 PM   #15
Rhino707
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I've got a UK M40i with comfort access and the electric towbar/hitch. I can confirm what has been said above, i.e. that the European version folds in/out at the push of a button and does not remove the kick to open/close functionality.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 03:23 AM   #16
cedwards
Rep

Thanks Rhino, great to hear. On the basis of input from you and verysideways relating to your UK models, I'm going to go back to my dealer and ask just who he sought advice from on this subject ! He said he would run it past his technical genius guy !! The latter clearly needs educating ..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 08:27 PM   #17
jcorallo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXX3 View Post
The only hitch receiver that is hidden is the Stealth Hitch. The receiver can be easily removed when not in use. I’ve decided to use this hitch for a hitch mounted Thule bike rack. Not installed yet, so no photos. I do have a BMW crossbar set up on the roof with a Thule bike tray. Haven’t noticed any measurable loss of mpg, some wind noise from the actual bike.
https://stealthhitches.com/products/...5-2018-present

Hi - question off the topic - where did you get those m badges that are on the side of your car? Thanks! Im new so it wouldnt let me private message until i posted.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 09:48 AM   #18
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d - Black Sapphire

Quote:
Thanks Rhino, great to hear. On the basis of input from you and verysideways relating to your UK models, I'm going to go back to my dealer and ask just who he sought advice from on this subject ! He said he would run it past his technical genius guy !! The latter clearly needs educating ..
Unfortunately, many of them do need educating which is why I tend to make this forum my first line of enquiry - there are lots of enthusiasts on here who possess extensive knowledge of the cars we like to drive.

My towbar extends and retracts at the push of a button, but didn't opt for the comfort access because of the surge in vehicle thefts with this feature. I needn't have worried as BMW has now fixed it, but at least I always get to see the car illuminate when I unlock it during the hours of darkness
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 10:44 AM   #19
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino707 View Post
I've got a UK M40i with comfort access and the electric towbar/hitch. I can confirm what has been said above, i.e. that the European version folds in/out at the push of a button and does not remove the kick to open/close functionality.
Since posting my last update on this with my friend's 2018 X3 M40i, i have picked up my 2019 X3 M40i and yesterday passed 1200 miles :-)

And yes, my UK spec car has the push button retractable towbar and comfort access, and my kick to open and kick to close work whether the towbar is in or out.
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 04:52 PM   #20
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d - Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by verysideways View Post
Since posting my last update on this with my friend's 2018 X3 M40i, i have picked up my 2019 X3 M40i and yesterday passed 1200 miles :-)

And yes, my UK spec car has the push button retractable towbar and comfort access, and my kick to open and kick to close work whether the towbar is in or out.
That should settle a few minds and help with decision making when speccing...
Appreciate 1