E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Instrument Cluster Issue/Question

11-02-2017, 04:32 PM   #1
rapodac
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i E92 M Sport

Instrument Cluster Issue/Question

I'm new to this forum and just purchased a 2007 328xi. I've never owned a BMW before so I'm still familiarizing myself with it and this forum. I greatly appreciate all the info on this site. I've researched this issue/question all over the web and in on this site but can't seem to find any info about my issue.

There is a portion of my instrument cluster that isn't working. It is the LCD area where the outside temperature and time should be displayed. I believe other service-related info is also displayed in this area when appropriate. I've seen it referred to as the Central Information Display (CID), Variable Information Display (VID), outside temperature display, etc. but I'm not sure what the official name is. I can't seem to figure out why mine isn't working at all. The lower LCD portion is working fine. I've checked fuses and, as far as I can tell, there is only one fuse for the entire cluster (58). Everything else in the cluster is working. I've also looked into whether or not this was an option that I may not have but can't seem to find any info about that either.

I know my car has the external temperature sensor because I can read it through the stereo menu.

I've decoded my VIN but don't see anything related to this portion of the cluster in the options list.

Is this an option I don't have. I seems like I would have run across this possibility in all of my research but I haven't.

My car is a 2007 328xi, no idrive. A picture of my cluster is attached.

I appreciate any help offered.
Attached Images

Last edited by rapodac; 11-02-2017 at 05:07 PM.. Reason: Attach image
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 06:50 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Do you have a manual if not you can get one online.

https://www.bmwsections.com/

pushing the button on BC stalk the outside stock the cycles through
mpg , miles remaining on tank , avg speed and something else I cant recall.

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 10:52 PM   #3
rapodac
United_States
Rep

ctuna,
Thanks for the response. Yes, I have a manual and I’ve read it cover to cover multiple times. I’m familiar with the BC controls as well. My problem has to do with the display not working. I circled the area that isn’t working in the picture I attached. The manual refers to it as Area 2 on page 145.

Any advice anyone has on troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated. It looks like there is only one connector for the cluster. I’ll try to locate a wiring diagram for the connector and try to isolate and test the wires for this area. I was hoping there would be any easier answer or someone with personal experience would see this and could help with a shortcut.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 11:00 PM   #4
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

I doubt its the connector. More likely that the LCD board on that part is dead. It's probably cheapest to source a used cluster and have it's EEPROM wiped and code it to your car. Or you can try swapping the LCD boards, but then you ask breaking both.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 11:45 PM   #5
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

There is stuff on hidden menus on the Internet and it has and LED
Test in it. Google e90 Hidden Menu's. M3 guys change out the LED's on there clusters to get different colors so its not impossible.

Read the following and see if you can do the LED test
http://e90.wikifoundry.com/page/BC+hidden+menus

May require the part of the display that isn't working to work though .
Only other way I can think of to verify is use Inpa or Ista D
which means buying the bimmmergeeks cable and downloading and setting those programs up .
See coding subforum or bimmergeeks.net

http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=368

Last edited by ctuna; 11-03-2017 at 12:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2017, 09:47 PM   #6
rapodac
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the info ctuna and 6ixSpd. I’m thinking that that portion of the LCD has been covered. I found a video show how to replace the LEDs and I see how this is actually one LCD panel. Also when I look closely at the dead area it doesn’t look like an LCD screen. It sort of looks like some sort of dark (carbon?) paper or tape. You might be able to make that out in my picture. Unfortunately my car is at the shop right now getting door lock actuators replaced. When I get it back I’ll have to pull the cluster out and see what’s going on.

I’m worried now though. Why would someone cover this portion of the display? I had the car inspected before I bought it and there weren’t any major codes. It was overdue on maintenance, I think for transfer case fluids, but nothing worth covering up. Unless the previous driver just got tired of seeing the warning light and covered it instead of servicing the vehicle. Anyway, I’m just throwing darts until I get it back.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 01:32 AM   #7
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

Did you try running the display test through the hidden menu?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 09:31 AM   #8
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
There is stuff on hidden menus on the Internet and it has and LED
Test in it. Google e90 Hidden Menu's. M3 guys change out the LED's on there clusters to get different colors so its not impossible.

Read the following and see if you can do the LED test
http://e90.wikifoundry.com/page/BC+hidden+menus

May require the part of the display that isn't working to work though .
Only other way I can think of to verify is use Inpa or Ista D
which means buying the bimmmergeeks cable and downloading and setting those programs up .
See coding subforum or bimmergeeks.net

http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=368
I really like that color conversion make no mistake. But after driving long hours at night I can say I?ll take the very dull, non intrusive orange anyway. Hardly bothers your eyes at all.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 10:36 AM   #9
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddien123 View Post
I really like that color conversion make no mistake. But after driving long hours at night I can say I?ll take the very dull, non intrusive orange anyway. Hardly bothers your eyes at all.
Decades ago BMW did extensive ergonomic studies to determine the best color of gauge cluster lighting, which is why that color orange has been used since the 1970s. It is the best color to avoid eye fatigue.
Appreciate 1
Eddien1231861.00
      11-04-2017, 03:55 PM   #10
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

That section of the gauges should light up and have the outside temperature and time in as the default setting. It is an important section of the gauges since it tells you all kinds of information such a CCID codes, warning messages, low fuel, low coolant, over heating to name a few and oil level most importantly. You'll have no idea how much oil is in the engine or when to add a quart upon the +1QT notification.

What I would do is shine a bright flashlight at an angle upon it an see if the clock and temp are displayed. That section of the gauge cluster is never blank. That test would indicate the LED that back lights it is dead.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 08:42 AM   #11
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddien123 View Post
Decades ago BMW did extensive ergonomic studies to determine the best color of gauge cluster lighting, which is why that color orange has been used since the 1970s. It is the best color to avoid eye fatigue.
Yes I have read this. Also, this is why they use it for those dim interior lights that are always on. I enjoy it. Do a lot of night driving and I?ve never found the lights to be a bother.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 09:02 AM   #12
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

I think it's covered. it's one big LCD screen as you said - it doesn't make sense for half of it to be dark and the other half to be functional. Probably just some vinyl wrap or electrical tape. Hopefully it just peels off.

People do all sorts of strange 'custom' mods, so who knows..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 09:15 AM   #13
rapodac
United_States
Rep

I finally got a chance to investigate this further. Turns out the LCD was covered with electrical tape. Once uncovered, I discovered there was a red FTM warning that would stay displayed permanently. I could toggle out of it to the temp/time but after a few seconds it would go back to the FTM warning. I re-initialized the FTM system, thanks to instructions in another E90 thread, and it went away. The previous owner, seller, or dealer probably just couldn’t figure out how to clear the warning and decided to cover it. All is good now. Only warning I get is for the brakes. I plan to do those soon as they are down to 3mm in front and 5mm on back.

This site is such a rich resource. I’ll be sure to contribute if I ever can.

Last edited by rapodac; 11-11-2017 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 01:05 PM   #14
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapodac View Post
I finally got a chance to investigate this further. Turns out the LCD was covered with electrical tape. Once uncovered, I discovered there was a red FTM warning that would stay displayed permanently. I could toggle out of it to the temp/time but after a few seconds it would go back to the FTM warning. I re-initialized the FTM system, thanks to instructions in another E90 thread, and it went away. The previous owner, seller, or dealer probably just couldn’t figure out how to clear the warning and decided to cover it. All is good now. Only warning I get is for the brakes. I plan to do those soon as they are down to 3mm in front and 5mm on back.

This site is such a rich resource. I’ll be sure to contribute if I ever can.
So the previous owner, or the place you bought it from took the time to remove the gauge cluster, pull off the plastic lens, cut a piece of black electric tape, trim it, and then reassemble everything? Holy crap would I be worried what else is hidden in that car.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 07:31 PM   #15
rapodac
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
So the previous owner, or the place you bought it from took the time to remove the gauge cluster, pull off the plastic lens, cut a piece of black electric tape, trim it, and then reassemble everything? Holy crap would I be worried what else is hidden in that car.
Yeah well I had it inspected by a reputable Indy and I’ve inspected it myself. I’m an engineer and have worked on my own cars for 15+ years. I could continue to worry, which doesn’t solve anything, but at this point I’m pretty relieved. Seems to me that it was covered by owner or seller who couldn’t figure out how to clear the FTM code. Not surprising; most people aren’t very intelligent but are willing to do some scrupulous things to sell a car.

For now, it’s running great and I’m happy. That is, at least, until the next ‘BMW’ issue pops up.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 05:47 AM   #16
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapodac View Post
Yeah well I had it inspected by a reputable Indy and I’ve inspected it myself. I’m an engineer and have worked on my own cars for 15+ years. I could continue to worry, which doesn’t solve anything, but at this point I’m pretty relieved. Seems to me that it was covered by owner or seller who couldn’t figure out how to clear the FTM code. Not surprising; most people aren’t very intelligent but are willing to do some scrupulous things to sell a car.

For now, it’s running great and I’m happy. That is, at least, until the next ‘BMW’ issue pops up.
That's good to hear then. It sounds like your car is now in capable hands and the right kind of owner for an older BMW. I still find it astonishing to go to that much trouble to hide am FTM code.

Good luck with it. This Forum is great for owning an E9X chassis. You can keep these cars a long time affordably if you DIY and have the proper technical aptitude. They are tanks, even more than the E30 was IMO (I've owned both since new). Your car is lucky you found it.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0