F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Blackvue power magic
Studio RSR

11-04-2017, 03:44 AM   #1
amsbmw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 3 series

Blackvue power magic

I have just inatalled a blackvue power magic box to f30. 12.5V and 12 hours

1. First all was working well, after car fully shut down, two ddpai went into parking mode BUT when i unlock the car the cameras both shut off and dont turn back on untill i have started the car (20 second delay) is this normal?

2. Now car turned off, camera shuts of straight away..so turned car back on waited for cameras to start then turned back of ( this time cams stayed on) went back to car to see if parking mode active and both cameras off?

Looked in boot and magic box green light is off

Anyone come across this?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 07:07 AM   #2
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F36 430d xDrive M Sport

I found 12 hours is too long for it to operate long term without putting the battery low. I use the 6 (or is it 8?) hour setting.
What fuses are you connected to?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 05:53 AM   #3
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Try flicking the switch on the power magic. It had 2 settings. One for parking on and other for off. It’s not a simple on off switch.
      11-05-2017, 09:09 AM   #4
amsbmw
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal027 View Post
Try flicking the switch on the power magic. It had 2 settings. One for parking on and other for off. It’s not a simple on off switch.
Tried this yesterday and your right a couple on and offs and it came on while the car ignition was off and must of recorded full 12 hours but Might change it to 6 , not started the car so nit sure if any battery warnings yet
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 11:44 AM   #5
amsbmw
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsbmw View Post
Quote:
Tried this yesterday and your right a couple on and offs and it came on while the car ignition was off and must of recorded full 12 hours but Might change it to 6 , not started the car so nit sure if any battery warnings yet
Spoke to soon, it turns off again, volt meter shows a reading of 11.89 so it would go if the setting i have is 12v cant go any lower
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 12:33 PM   #6
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Quote:
Spoke to soon, it turns off again, volt meter shows a reading of 11.89 so it would go if the setting i have is 12v cant go any lower
Try putting it at a slightly lower voltage rating. Mines on next one down 11.5 v I think as it kept going off in traffic

Find the BlackVue cameras quite power hungry , my stop start hasn’t been operational for a while due to power useage when parked up. I drive about 20 miles each way daily.

Next time I’d go thinkware
      11-05-2017, 12:38 PM   #7
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Try putting it at a slightly lower voltage rating. Mines on next one down 11.5 v I think as it kept going off in traffic

Find the BlackVue cameras quite power hungry , my stop start hasn’t been operational for a while due to power useage when parked up. I drive about 20 miles each way daily.

Switch the WiFi off. All works fine for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 03:36 PM   #8
amsbmw
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby Clark View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

My lowest option is 12v, if it was around 11.5V it would be perfect but unfortunately seems like its been changed..

1 and 2 are voltage.
1 - up
2 - down is 12V
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 05:17 PM   #9
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
My lowest option is 12v, if it was around 11.5V it would be perfect but unfortunately seems like its been changed..

1 and 2 are voltage.
1 - up
2 - down is 12V
I have these in two cars. All switches up.
If 12v is the minimum that’s fine. Balance it with time. As I said before I use the 6 hour setting and have no problems. My OCD habit means I switch the WiFi off when the cam starts but my wife never does that and everting is still ok.

If the cam is shutting down early with a fully charged battery, either you have it connected to the wrong fuses, you battery is screwed or the PMP is screwed. It’s not unlikely it’s the latter.
I asked before what fuses you were using. Care to share?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 03:29 AM   #10
amsbmw
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

1 and 2 are voltage.
1 - up
2 - down is 12V
I have these in two cars. All switches up.
If 12v is the minimum that’s fine. Balance it with time. As I said before I use the 6 hour setting and have no problems. My OCD habit means I switch the WiFi off when the cam starts but my wife never does that and everting is still ok.

If the cam is shutting down early with a fully charged battery, either you have it connected to the wrong fuses, you battery is screwed or the PMP is screwed. It’s not unlikely it’s the latter.
I asked before what fuses you were using. Care to share?
A few things to mention, I am not actually using blackvue cameras.

I have dual ddpai but the camera doesnt seem to be the issue.

I set the pmp to 12V and 6 hours, so when I had the voltmeter connected yesterday, car on reading 15V, car off first time it shut of at 12.05V and second time it shut off at 11.89V.

Now the car hasnt been driven since Saturday at around 3pm so is this why maybe the battery isnt at full charge? Because from 3pm on Saturday it went into parking mode at least till about 11pm that day as I went out to check if cameras were flashing.

Sorry for not replying about fuses, yellow constant was 161 (headlights or something) and the red switched was 143, earthed to combi box

Ive taken it out atm. Looking to return it possibly
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 04:19 AM   #11
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

I set the pmp to 12V and 6 hours, so when I had the voltmeter connected yesterday, car on reading 15V, car off first time it shut of at 12.05V and second time it shut off at 11.89V.

Now the car hasnt been driven since Saturday at around 3pm so is this why maybe the battery isnt at full charge? Because from 3pm on Saturday it went into parking mode at least till about 11pm that day as I went out to check if cameras were flashing.

Sorry for not replying about fuses, yellow constant was 161 (headlights or something) and the red switched was 143, earthed to combi box

OK. There may be 2 problems.
When you checked to see if it was working, did you open the car? If you did, the car will wake up and the the cam will go out of parking mode and effectively switch on.

Second, both 143 and 161 are always on. I used the battery (with an inline fuse) as always on, earthed on chassis and 153 (boot light) as the ACC.

If the fuses are on, your cam is possibly shutting down only on low voltage and always on otherwise. That would explain why it ran for 8 hours+ on Sunday.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 07:17 AM   #12
amsbmw
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

When you checked to see if it was working, did you open the car? If you did, the car will wake up and the the cam will go out of parking mode and effectively switch on.

Second, both 143 and 161 are always on. I used the battery (with an inline fuse) as always on, earthed on chassis and 153 (boot light) as the ACC.

If the fuses are on, your cam is possibly shutting down only on low voltage and always on otherwise. That would explain why it ran for 8 hours+ on Sunday.
Quote:
Quote:

The boot was opened because its all located in the boot, I think i tried about 3/4 times,

One time I did open the car door and as you said the cameras went off ( wont go back on untill ignition is on)

And the second and third time is when is when the pmp shut down after the voltage dropped

161 is always on tested with a volt pen
143 is ignition ( went off when cars off) again tested with volt pen
And earth was fine
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 08:00 AM   #13
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The boot was opened because its all located in the boot, I think i tried about 3/4 times,

One time I did open the car door and as you said the cameras went off ( wont go back on untill ignition is on)

And the second and third time is when is when the pmp shut down after the voltage dropped

And earth was fine

Having the boot open is the same as opening the car. I have comfort access and the car wakes up when you approach it so some circuits will start at that point. It may be the same for keyed entry.
Some circuits shut down over time 5/10/15 minutes (or more?). So checking with a pen will need to be done several times over time.
I would suggest you revisit fuse 143. Try 153, the boot light for your ACC. The only certain always on is the battery.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 08:04 AM   #14
amsbmw
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

And earth was fine

Having the boot open is the same as opening the car. I have comfort access and the car wakes up when you approach it so some circuits will start at that point. It may be the same for keyed entry.
Some circuits shut down over time 5/10/15 minutes (or more?). So checking with a pen will need to be done several times over time.
I would suggest you revisit fuse 143. Try 153, the boot light for your ACC. The only certain always on is the battery.
I have already taken it all out.

I will connect it back up again with yellow going to batt
Red to 153
And earth it

I will then see what is happening and if anything differs
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 11:38 AM   #15
amsbmw
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

And earth was fine

I have already taken it all out.

I will connect it back up again with yellow going to batt
Red to 153
And earth it

I will then see what is happening and if anything differs
Wired the way you have, and it stayed on from 9.30-10.57

12v/ 6 hours
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 11:41 AM   #16
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep