THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Dinan Stage 2 Stage 3

11-05-2017, 10:21 AM   #1
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Dinan Stage 2 Stage 3

So I have a Dinan Stage 1 on my M240i. What exactly would I be getting if I added the Stage 2? Then a Stage 3?

I went to the Dinan website and the Dinan Stage 2 for my car shows what looks like a stage 1 tune kit for $2400. I paid $1399 for the Stage 1.

I thought adding a stage 2 would be the exhaust and suspension parts and the Stage 3 would be new Turbo charger/intercooler and some under the hood bolt ons.

Anyone know what each of these series of upgrades adds to the B58?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 11:06 AM   #2
CO_Steve
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235 Dinan S1 MT Slicktop

The website only shows the S1-S3 packages for the M235, not the 240.
In the 235 S1 is tune + intake + exhaust +springs
S2 adds intercooler and sway bars
S3 adds big turbo

I'm guessing some of the S2, S3 parts aren't 240 compatible.

I don't see any S packages for the 240, only the tuner you already have and the exhaust and suspension stuff.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 11:17 AM   #3
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Thanks. Pretty sure they are incompatible. Different motors.

Hopefully Dinan will offer the same upgrades for the M240i as they do/did for the M235i.

The M240i is such a nice performing car w/ the Stage 1, I may decide to keep it past warranty w/ more Dinan upgrades.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 11:20 AM   #4
CO_Steve
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The springs are a pretty easy DIY if you have some tools. Well worth the cost.
I'd like to hear from some sway bar owners. It's a pricey install but the car need more bar IMHO.
The exhaust I've heard doesn't add much but it's a nice sound.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 11:24 AM   #5
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Steve View Post
The springs are a pretty easy DIY if you have some tools. Well worth the cost.
I'd like to hear from some sway bar owners. It's a pricey install but the car need more bar IMHO.
The exhaust I've heard doesn't add much but it's a nice sound.
Really don't care or want to stiffen the ride. I could have bought the M2, but bought the M240i for the near M2 performance w/o the stiff ride. Would really want to go w/ more engine performance oriented add-ons (Inter-cooler, Turbo, etc.).
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 11:29 AM   #6
CO_Steve
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I did the springs and it mostly just lowered the car a bit and made the ride more controlled. It's still not stiff. For my tastes I'm not wanting for more power. It's plenty fast with the S1 package. I've tried back to back with the tune turned off and full on and it's a huge difference. Don't know where just the tune box without the intake/exhaust would fall.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 01:04 PM   #7
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 STi - IAG Trojan

I am pretty sure that Stage 2 will just be an intake and a new tune, at least that is what I was told by Dinan, and that the exhaust and mid pipe are optional. Friday I had those installed, the mid pipe and exhaust, and Awesome sounding, but don't believe there is any performance increase.
Am I misunderstanding?
      11-06-2017, 11:44 AM   #8
RotorOver
Newer 2er
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i (Sold)

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikman011 View Post
I am pretty sure that Stage 2 will just be an intake and a new tune, at least that is what I was told by Dinan, and that the exhaust and mid pipe are optional. Friday I had those installed, the mid pipe and exhaust, and Awesome sounding, but don't believe there is any performance increase.
Am I misunderstanding?

That is what I've understood as well.

I believe there is something like a 5hp gain from the exhaust, but some where up around 6,000 rpm when it kicks in.
2017 Audi Q5
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 11:52 AM   #9
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorOver View Post
. . .
I believe there is something like a 5hp gain from the exhaust, but some where up around 6,000 rpm when it kicks in.
I am sure it is there, just hard to distinguish for me.
After reading this thread, I have begun to look at the Performance Springs & Supplemental Ride Quality & Handling Kit, and if it helps with roll, than I am in, and seem reasonably priced, of course clearly the labor (6+ hrs) will be WAY more expensive than the parts.
For me, I am going to take this as far as it can go Dinan wise, even though I never drive faster than 55mph

PS - you can get the combination for $90 less ($440) delivered through Amazon
      11-06-2017, 11:55 AM   #10
RotorOver
Newer 2er
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
. . .
I am sure it is there, just hard to distinguish for me.
After reading this thread, I have begun to look at the Performance Springs & Supplemental Ride Quality & Handling Kit, and if it helps with roll, than I am in, and seem reasonably priced, of course clearly the labor (6+ hrs) will be WAY more expensive than the parts.
For me, I am going to take this as far as it can go Dinan wise, even though I never drive faster than 55mph
You will not regret the springs. They made a big difference in handling with a minor compliance penalty except on the roughest roads.
2017 Audi Q5
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 10:36 PM   #11
B58togo
Major
Rep
Drives: M240i

I've been on the Dinan springs and supplemental ride kit for around 8k miles and no regrets here.
      11-07-2017, 06:16 AM   #12
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
. . . They made a big difference in handling with a minor compliance penalty except on the roughest roads.
what do you mean by 'compliance penalty'?

did you go with the Dinan Adjustable Anti-Roll Bar Set?

curious, also, how high was the labor cost on getting those installed?

Thanks!
      11-07-2017, 07:51 AM   #13
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

I'm positive he meant ride quality penalty (since I mentioned i didn't want a stiff ride, just a faster car).
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 09:58 PM   #14
RotorOver
Newer 2er
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [10.00]
Quote:
what do you mean by 'compliance penalty'?

did you go with the Dinan Adjustable Anti-Roll Bar Set?

curious, also, how high was the labor cost on getting those installed?

Thanks!
Yes, ride quality penalty in other words.

I didn't do the Dinan anti-roll bars.

Labor was $559 for the install of the springs and bump stops at a local indie shop. It seems the dealerships that are authorized Dinan dealers tend to charge the Dinan stated labor hours, which in this case would be more (6.3 hours).
2017 Audi Q5

Last edited by RotorOver; 11-07-2017 at 10:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 10:59 PM   #15
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

I attempted to contact Dinan through the website "Contact" link. I could fill out my question, but could not get it send. A PITA. Wanted to know when they plan to release a stage 2-3 like they have for the M235i.

Also, if you look at the pricing for the M235i, I can only assume that the prices shown for each stage are if you bought that stage complete w/o out having any previous Dinan stages (as each stage includes the tuner and adds additional parts to it). So if you have the Stage 1 already, if you add the stage two, you should only be paying the difference in price between the stage 1 and the stage 2....not the full Stage 2 price (as you are buying the tuner again)

Aside from a phone call, no way to ask Dinan any questions.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 07:29 AM   #16
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
I attempted to contact Dinan through the website "Contact" link. I could fill out my question, but could not get it send. A PITA. Wanted to know when they plan to release a stage 2-3 like they have for the M235i.

Also, if you look at the pricing for the M235i, I can only assume that the prices shown for each stage are if you bought that stage complete w/o out having any previous Dinan stages (as each stage includes the tuner and adds additional parts to it). So if you have the Stage 1 already, if you add the stage two, you should only be paying the difference in price between the stage 1 and the stage 2....not the full Stage 2 price (as you are buying the tuner again)

Aside from a phone call, no way to ask Dinan any questions.

I am not sure if I did a Google search on Dinan email, or if I used the contact form, but am in contact with them: <nathan DOT fette AT dinancars DOT com>.

For the price of Stage2 Nathan responded to my email with the following:
"No set date on stage 2. Currently battling production issues with carbon fiber vendors on the matter. Stage 2 though would be taking advantage of the cold air intake upgrade. When upgrading from stage 1 the cost would just be the difference in price between stages (~$200) + the hardware itself (CAI)."

On the Stage2 release, in the exhaust release thread, Dinan_Engineering responded with the following:
"If history is any indication then intake will be required for stage 2. Exhaust will be recommended. Intake/stage 2 will be q1 2018. About as specific as I can get I'm afraid."

For my car, via email, asking about suspension, they told me that unless I am on the track a lot, or a very aggressive driver, to skip the Camber Plates, and just start with Springs/Bumps, and if I want to fine tune, add the roll bars, and my local Dinan/BMW dealer, is telling me $1050+tax on labor, which includes the re-alignment.

So, I am going with Springs/Bumps, and will order InTake/Stage2Tune 2018Q1.

Maybe Dinan will respond to this with a more accurate date on Stage2.

By the way, I am digging the Stage1/Exhaust/DownPipe mods thus far
      11-08-2017, 10:09 AM   #17
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

I was hoping to take mine to Stage 3 w/ some cherry picking along the way. Not interested in suspension add-ons or changes. The exhaust and intake for sure and then hopefully a new Inter-cooler and Turbo for the Stage 3.

Was reading an article in either European Car or Roundel about taking an M2 to the M4. Cost was pretty high, but in the article the author said he would eliminate the Dinan Wheels and a few other things to lower the overall cost and still have the performance. (I think the cost of the M2 w/ all the Dinan stuff was into the $80+K range - which is M4 pricing territory). They never did race between the two, but for $85K I'd probably get the M4 and be done with it. )

Quite honestly, the Stage 1 on the M240i gets frighteningly close to the M cars 0-60 numbers and 1/4 mile times. Can only imagine what a Stage 3 would accomplish.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 10:11 AM   #18
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

BTW, thanks for the email address.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 08:17 PM   #19
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
I was hoping to take mine to Stage 3 w/ some cherry picking along the way. Not interested in suspension add-ons or changes. The exhaust and intake for sure and then hopefully a new Inter-cooler and Turbo for the Stage 3.

Was reading an article in either European Car or Roundel about taking an M2 to the M4. Cost was pretty high, but in the article the author said he would eliminate the Dinan Wheels and a few other things to lower the overall cost and still have the performance. (I think the cost of the M2 w/ all the Dinan stuff was into the $80+K range - which is M4 pricing territory). They never did race between the two, but for $85K I'd probably get the M4 and be done with it. )

Quite honestly, the Stage 1 on the M240i gets frighteningly close to the M cars 0-60 numbers and 1/4 mile times. Can only imagine what a Stage 3 would accomplish.
I really like the body of this vehicle, the size, and the look, I also prefer the (somewhat) look of a daily driver, and even at stock, I am beyond satisfied, BUT, the addition of the Stage1, the down pipe w/exhaust (great sound) I am feeling like a race car driver for my entire 4 mile morning commute. I wil continue to add items if I see that there are more gains, and will stop shy of adding new wheels. The appeal of the m240i Dinan over an m2 for me is driving a wolf in sheep's clothing, .... "WTF, was that that shot past us?" - anyway, .... $50K up front, then 15-18 grand more, a few grand each year at a time, .... pretty soon, we won't be doing the driving.
      11-08-2017, 09:44 PM   #20
CO_Steve
Second Lieutenant
Rep

At some point adding more power is going to run into the fact that this car is already under tired. Even with just my S1 setup I can light up the rear tires pretty easily if I'm not careful. Stock PSS. I am RWD, MT. I've not driven an S2 or S3 but more isn't always better. Balance is key.
Appreciate 1
WolfGTI688.50
      11-09-2017, 09:32 AM   #21
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Steve View Post
At some point adding more power is going to run into the fact that this car is already under tired. Even with just my S1 setup I can light up the rear tires pretty easily if I'm not careful. Stock PSS. I am RWD, MT. I've not driven an S2 or S3 but more isn't always better. Balance is key.
Point taken.

I actually traded my C7 because I thought it was more car than I needed (and the A8 transmission would act "wonky" after some spirited driving) so I started to drive it like I was in a parade. What fun is that, right?

The M240i w/ the Stage 1 is as fast (at least in my eyes) as my 2015 C7. I rarely if ever (actually never) go WOT from a dead stop. 1/2 pedal and I'm gone. I love to play from a "roll", the downshift, the snarl of the motor and the throw back into the seat and look of terror in my wife's eyes.

Very true, adding more for normal street driving really is unnecessary (in reality a 230i is more than necessary for the average driver 0-60 in 5.5 is damn quick and would be a blast to drive).

With the M240i it's very easy to go 0-jail in no time. However, the allure of being able to add some bolt ones that puts the performance beyond the M cars and most of the competition is enticing. So instead of 1/2 pedal to rocket away from traffic at a stop light, you can do that w/ 1/4 pedal. LOL

I really love this car (but planned on trading it in 3 years for something new - a BMW for sure), however if I were to add a Stage 3 set up, I could see keeping this car for many many years. I don't put many miles on as I'm retired and use it for some shopping, dinners out and the occasional pleasure drive. I don't have 4K miles on the car and it will be 1 year old in December (in about 30 days). At this rate if I kept the car for 10 years, it wouldn't have 40K miles on it.

At present, just thinking about my options and a way to perhaps spend some disposable income on a car I love
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 05:28 PM   #22
CO_Steve
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yea, I get it. It's nice to finally have the means to be the cool kid on the block once and a while. I would go for the exhaust. I really like the sounds mine make.
Appreciate 0