F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Coding Brake Lights
GetBMWParts

11-06-2017, 02:11 PM   #1
mbergman
Private
Rep
Drives: 328ix

Coding Brake Lights

Is there a coding option to make the third brake light flash a predetermined number of times each time the brakes are applied?
Second option - I read somewhere that European BMWs have an option to flash the regular brake lights whenever the brakes are applied. Can this be coded? (I’m unconcerned about the legality in the US).
2015 3GT

I am using Bimmercode so If someone provides the necessary steps, I can code in expert mode.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 12:53 AM   #2
chuckles01
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i Sport, 6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbergman View Post
Is there a coding option to make the third brake light flash a predetermined number of times each time the brakes are applied?
Second option - I read somewhere that European BMWs have an option to flash the regular brake lights whenever the brakes are applied. Can this be coded? (I’m unconcerned about the legality in the US).
2015 3GT

I am using Bimmercode so If someone provides the necessary steps, I can code in expert mode.

Thanks
In the bimmercode app, you can go to FEM > 3060 > ESS_AKTIVIERBARER_AUSGANG and changethe setting to: bremslicht_blinkend

What that does is change the inner brake lights from a steady on during hard braking to blinking. I'm not sure how many times it blinks and as far as I know there's no setting to change the number of times it blinks. It'll only activate during hard braking.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 06:59 AM   #3
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
3rd Brake Light already flashes upon hard braking - you can code the regular brake lights to do the same thing along with the 3rd lite

Quote:
Flashing Brake Lights (Brake Force Display) (Upon hard braking the brake lights will flash)
But that's not what I think he wants - he wants the 3rd brakelight to flash a specific number of times during REGULAR braking...

I haven't seen anyway to code this, but there are aftermarket little black boxes that you wire in series with CMHSL that work for either LED or incandescent bulbs to achieve what you want. With these you can usually program how many flashes + some other options. Depends on what model you get.

I'll post a link to a known kit that works this afternoon
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 10:58 AM   #4
chuckles01
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i Sport, 6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
3rd Brake Light already flashes upon hard braking - you can code the regular brake lights to do the same thing along with the 3rd lite

Quote:
Flashing Brake Lights (Brake Force Display) (Upon hard braking the brake lights will flash)
But that's not what I think he wants - he wants the 3rd brakelight to flash a specific number of times during REGULAR braking...

I haven't seen anyway to code this, but there are aftermarket little black boxes that you wire in series with CMHSL that work for either LED or incandescent bulbs to achieve what you want. With these you can usually program how many flashes + some other options. Depends on what model you get.

I'll post a link to a known kit that works this afternoon
My mistake, I had automatically assumed when I saw flashing brake lights that op meant brake force display for the inner brake lights.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 01:57 PM   #5
mbergman
Private
Rep

Correct. I am interested in flashing brake light on regular force braking. I am aware of the after market, electronic, options. (Works great on my Miata). I thought such a device would cause errors in a BMW.
Is regular force brake flashing available on any of the brake lights?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 02:01 PM   #6
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles01 View Post
My mistake, I had automatically assumed when I saw flashing brake lights that op meant brake force display for the inner brake lights.
Guess we'll see who's right when he replies

Here is link to Kahtec aftermarket flashing brake light module if I'm right

http://www.kahtec.com/index.htm
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 02:05 PM   #7
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbergman View Post
Correct. I am interested in flashing brake light on regular force braking. I am aware of the after market, electronic, options. (Works great on my Miata). I thought such a device would cause errors in a BMW.
Is regular force brake flashing available on any of the brake lights?
Not that I'm aware of, but I've been wrong before

Don't know if it would cause error either - problem with system I posted is you have to cut one of the factory wires to CHMSL so that signal is routed thru the module - once that's done, if it throws error, you would have to uninstall & splice wire back

Unless you contact the company & ask that specific question...
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 02:07 PM   #8
mbergman
Private
Rep

Thanks everyone!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 03:54 PM   #9
FutureHendr1x
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335 Msport

How about for the inner lights to light up as brakes only. So the inner light will work the same as the putters without them being on for city light. Simple on off once brake applied..
Appreciate 0