Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Those of you who are switching tires to non-RFT

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

05-21-2008, 11:46 PM   #1
Bimermanman
Private
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Those of you who are switching tires to non-RFT

Do you guys carry a spare tire in the trunk???
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 11:50 PM   #2
BOOST3D
Captain
Armenia
Rep
Drives: 328i 2000,X5 2003,2008 335i

nope to much weight
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 11:51 PM   #3
ejheverest
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i

i don't carry a spare tire, do carry a portable air compressor, and a small scissor jack.
      05-21-2008, 11:52 PM   #4
Johnny Lin
Lieutenant General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

Agree, nope! Dont want the extra weight.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 11:53 PM   #5
Haywire
Haywire, brand new BMW owner :D
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe

hey new member im fairly new to these forums as well...

a lot of dudes will tell you to carry a spare, or a pump, possibly some tire goooooo in case you get stuck.

some good advice if you ask me. for the mostpart people get leaks or nails or whatever and have time to get it to a shop...but why put it to chance.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 11:57 PM   #6
AdamJ
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Because a ~40lb wheel and tire is really going to cause a huge performance hit. I didn't realize we had so many Jeff Gordons on the forum. Reminds me of Fast and the Furious - "I live my life a quarter mile at a time" - LOL!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 12:41 AM   #7
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJ View Post
Because a ~40lb wheel and tire is really going to cause a huge performance hit. I didn't realize we had so many Jeff Gordons on the forum. Reminds me of Fast and the Furious - "I live my life a quarter mile at a time" - LOL!
Like you're not just as much of a Poser

Besides, It's about 53-55lbs and thats critical...

For the OP though... I think mostly it comes down to size, there's no longer any room under the floor of the trunk for a spare, so unless you just fill the trunk with a tire there's just no where to put it.

I bought the Continental ContiComfort kit or whatever the hell it's called. It's a small 12V compressor and some tire slime. Should be enough to get me down the road, if not well there's that SOS button looking at me.

Jeff Gordon though... Really? WTF would Jeff Gordon know about 50lbs... Freaking Redneck Roundy round doesn't count for much.
      05-22-2008, 12:48 AM   #8
MontegoblueE92
Captain
Rep
Drives: It Like He Stole It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlis View Post
Jeff Gordon though... Really? WTF would Jeff Gordon know about 50lbs... Freaking Redneck Roundy round doesn't count for much.
+1. I think he meant more along the lines of Michael Schumacher/Kimi Raikkonen. Real race car drivers.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 01:09 AM   #9
leitrim
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Barrique Red 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJ View Post
Actually, it's not so much about the weight as it is about how much space you lose in the trunk with having a spare, even with a doughnut not a full size spare.
      05-22-2008, 01:09 AM   #10
voltron1011
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, FJR-1300

NASCAR: Non Athletic Sport Circling Around Rednecks
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 01:12 AM   #11
leitrim
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Barrique Red 330i

I made the switch to a non-RFT about 8-10 months ago, it's so much better. I have a little compressor that plugs into the cig lighter and the "goo". Plus I've got BMW road side assistance and AAA which I upgraded to tow me up to 100 miles.

Don't get me started on those POS run-flat tires, I f-ing hate 'em.
      05-22-2008, 01:57 AM   #12
cbad335
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 335i

Garage List
This has been covered too many times to mention. But before you get ripped for not doing a very basic search on this topic: http://www.mileoneparts.com/partloca...catalogid=4462
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 02:31 AM   #13
StarrDlux
Pussycat's Meow
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i montego | Stock

NASCARSUX

awesome custom license plate.

too bad the locals wouldn't get it
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 02:40 AM   #14
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

http://www.bmw-online.com/BMWRA_prod...=&bphi=&promo=

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 07:37 AM   #15
TambourineMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi coupe

I have RFT's and also have a spare.

Despite all the extra weight my car is still able to make it to my office and back (20 miles) and my gas mileage is still about 22, but I confess I do not know how having a spare in the trunk has affected my 0-60 times.

Also, I was able to go to the store last night and there was room to put a whole gallon of milk in the trunk (plus some other stuff) - I didn't even have to use the back seat.

When I have a passenger I really seriously consider taking the spare out of the trunk because the all that additional weight really, really affects performance. I have to put it is Ds mode and shift down to first just to launch. /s off
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 08:09 AM   #16
Heat00
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

wow, are the run flats that bad that so many people hate them?

it just seems to me that even though it is a rare case, it could be that one time where the hole can't be plugged or slimed? or perhaps it gets into the sidewall.... it is the one time it is raining and you or your wife are in a bad neighborhood, where you can't stop to jack it up or try to plug a nail (which is going to be tough in the rears, not much room to work without being jacked up).... that is when the run flat isn't such a bad idea?

yes, I understand the other tires are probably smoother and better performing etc... but for everyday non track driving, is it that much of a difference? Will the normal driver even notice it?
My stock run flats just hit 15,000 miles and all but one have very close to half of their tread life left... so what is so bad about them?

it does beat a spare and jack rolling around in trunk... that doesn't help performance or what about in an accident where it comes lose...could do some damage

OR, just ditch them and if you get stuck just call AAA or BMW, the hec with it??

this one is a tough topic for me... not sure what is best really...

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 09:16 AM   #17
TambourineMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So far (<2,000 miles) I don't think RFT's are as bad as many make them out to be. The ride may be a little rough compared to a luxury car, but a 3 is a sports sedan.

I bought a matching full size tire, rim and pressure sensor.

If you drive very far on a RFT with no air, it ruins it - makes it irreparable. Also, you cannot drive that far (30 miles if fully loaded) or that fast (50 mph).

Sometimes or places (weekends, holidays or in the boonies) matching RFT's are not available and if your rim is damaged, a matching rim would not be quickly available.

With a matching full size spare swap it out and you're on your way.

If you stick with symmetrical, non-directional tires (such as the Contis), then the spare can be put into a tire rotation schedule which will keep the tread wear even which is important for AWD models, other wise you may have to replace perfectly good tires because they have too much wear compared to a ruined one.

If you need the trunk space for a particular trip, take the spare out and take a chance.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 10:31 AM   #18
6MTFTMFW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F30 340i 6MT

Garage List
2019 BMW 440i  [0.00]
2018 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TambourineMan View Post
So far (<2,000 miles) I don't think RFT's are as bad as many make them out to be. The ride may be a little rough compared to a luxury car, but a 3 is a sports sedan.

I bought a matching full size tire, rim and pressure sensor.

If you drive very far on a RFT with no air, it ruins it - makes it irreparable. Also, you cannot drive that far (30 miles if fully loaded) or that fast (50 mph).

Sometimes or places (weekends, holidays or in the boonies) matching RFT's are not available and if your rim is damaged, a matching rim would not be quickly available.

With a matching full size spare swap it out and you're on your way.

If you stick with symmetrical, non-directional tires (such as the Contis), then the spare can be put into a tire rotation schedule which will keep the tread wear even which is important for AWD models, other wise you may have to replace perfectly good tires because they have too much wear compared to a ruined one.

If you need the trunk space for a particular trip, take the spare out and take a chance.
Do you not have a staggered setup on your car, or do you put an 8" spare in the back instead of 8.5?
Maybe you should buy 2 full size spares, one for the front and one for the back, and include them in the tire rotation
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 11:50 AM   #19
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat00 View Post
wow, are the run flats that bad that so many people hate them?

it just seems to me that even though it is a rare case, it could be that one time where the hole can't be plugged or slimed? or perhaps it gets into the sidewall.... it is the one time it is raining and you or your wife are in a bad neighborhood, where you can't stop to jack it up or try to plug a nail (which is going to be tough in the rears, not much room to work without being jacked up).... that is when the run flat isn't such a bad idea?

yes, I understand the other tires are probably smoother and better performing etc... but for everyday non track driving, is it that much of a difference? Will the normal driver even notice it?
My stock run flats just hit 15,000 miles and all but one have very close to half of their tread life left... so what is so bad about them?

it does beat a spare and jack rolling around in trunk... that doesn't help performance or what about in an accident where it comes lose...could do some damage

OR, just ditch them and if you get stuck just call AAA or BMW, the hec with it??

this one is a tough topic for me... not sure what is best really...
Well in answer to the question will a "normal" driver even notice? I can say yeah, it's quite different. Even going from an 18" RFT to a 19" Non-RFT you can feel the difference right away. Maybe it's not HUGE but it's clear and the ride/handling improves once you get those brick hard POS Bridgestones off of there. It may not be RFTs, it might just be that the Bridgestones are garbage and from personal experience this is likely the case. Apparently in Japan all the roads are perfectly smooth, bump free, and grippy. I say this because clearly Bridgestone isn't designing tires for any road I've ever run across.

The only thing the OEM Slipstones/Brickstones had going for them was turn in, but then a skateboard turns in pretty well also, inflexible sidewalls will do that.

So do you need to be a track addict Shummy wannabe to realize a benefit from yarding the OEM tires off of there? No, you don't. Your tires are the single most important part of your handling/ride package. If they are extra hard, super cheap, under or over inflated it ruins the entire experience. You only have to be marginally in touch with your car to notice the benefits of upgraded tires or feel the horror of cheap shitty tires.
      05-22-2008, 11:51 AM   #20
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerai7 View Post
Do you not have a staggered setup on your car, or do you put an 8" spare in the back instead of 8.5?
Maybe you should buy 2 full size spares, one for the front and one for the back, and include them in the tire rotation
BMW Does have some handy roof racks, why not an entire set of four? Works for the Braindead Hummer crowd.
      05-22-2008, 11:57 AM   #21
satakal
Major
Rep
Drives: e46

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontegoblueE92 View Post
+1. I think he meant more along the lines of Michael Schumacher/Kimi Raikkonen. Real race car drivers.
I'm no Rainbow Warrior, but Gordon consistently beats the former open wheel guys. NASCAR is good entertainment and 10 races a year are worth watching for the ontrack action. I can't say the same for F1.
________
California dispensary

Last edited by satakal; 08-16-2011 at 05:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 11:59 AM   #22
TambourineMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

To minimize the chance of tire/rim damage I went with the 17's all around so I do not need 2 full size spares because I have staggered wheels.

However since there is a chance I could damage more than one at a time I will have to consider getting another spare or three.

I already have the roof rack, so I don't need to get that but I am wondering if they will all fit into my 16 cu. ft. Thule rooftop carrier.
Appreciate 0