Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > New tires + alignment: squirrely handling

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

05-22-2008, 09:10 PM   #1
javajaws
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i AW/Saddle/msport

New tires + alignment: squirrely handling

Replaced all 4 of my old PS2s with a new set of PS2s. Got the car aligned (3 times at NTB, then twice at the dealer). Apparently they had to swap the front tires from left to right to get rid of a pull-to-the-right problem they couldn't fix. Never had any pulling problems before the new tires went on, BTW...

So anyway...the car (325i) drives straight now. BUT, it drives really squirrely (is that a word?) when I get some speed going. It still goes straight, but curves and turning just don't feel right - every little motion of the wheel seems like its more magnified than before, like the car is loose. It doesn't feel like it's glued to the road like it used to. Doesn't seem to keep as straight a line as it used to either (not just from tramlining). It's like it just wanders a little (and wanders more after steering corrections).

Now granted, I only have about 100 miles on the new tires...but I don't remember it feeling like this when I put on the last set of PS2s. And I LOVED the old PS2s

I'm running 38psi up front and 42psi in back (on 18" AR1 rims). This is pretty much what I ran on the old tires (same rims).

The last/current specs from the last alignment showed:

Front Left / Front Right
-.02 -.24 camber
6.42 6.42 caster
.04 .05 toe
13.41 13.54 SAI
13.39 13.30 turn angle diff

.23 cross camber
.00 cross caster
-.13 cross SAI
.09 total toe

Rear Left / Rear Right
-1.33 -1.30 camber
.10 .10 toe

-.03 cross camber
.20 total toe
.00 thrust angle

Anybody have any ideas? Need to let the tires break in a little more? Bad tire(s)? Funky alignment settings (more toe needed?)?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 09:28 PM   #2
quest556
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535i x-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by javajaws View Post
Replaced all 4 of my old PS2s with a new set of PS2s. Got the car aligned (3 times at NTB, then twice at the dealer). Apparently they had to swap the front tires from left to right to get rid of a pull-to-the-right problem they couldn't fix. Never had any pulling problems before the new tires went on, BTW...

So anyway...the car (325i) drives straight now. BUT, it drives really squirrely (is that a word?) when I get some speed going. It still goes straight, but curves and turning just don't feel right - every little motion of the wheel seems like its more magnified than before, like the car is loose. It doesn't feel like it's glued to the road like it used to. Doesn't seem to keep as straight a line as it used to either (not just from tramlining). It's like it just wanders a little (and wanders more after steering corrections).

Now granted, I only have about 100 miles on the new tires...but I don't remember it feeling like this when I put on the last set of PS2s. And I LOVED the old PS2s

I'm running 38psi up front and 42psi in back (on 18" AR1 rims). This is pretty much what I ran on the old tires (same rims).

The last/current specs from the last alignment showed:

Front Left / Front Right
-.02 -.24 camber
6.42 6.42 caster
.04 .05 toe
13.41 13.54 SAI
13.39 13.30 turn angle diff

.23 cross camber
.00 cross caster
-.13 cross SAI
.09 total toe

Rear Left / Rear Right
-1.33 -1.30 camber
.10 .10 toe

-.03 cross camber
.20 total toe
.00 thrust angle

Anybody have any ideas? Need to let the tires break in a little more? Bad tire(s)? Funky alignment settings (more toe needed?)?

I've got the exact same problem and my car is at the dealer having the alignemnt rechecked. Mine was aligned as I put on 4 new tires, all seasons too and at first, I thought it was just the new tires but after the breakin, I concluded it was more than that. I think they dialed out too much of the total toe on the front on mine. It's just to vague on center now but not tram. I'll get it back tomorrow and let you know how mine goes.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 09:38 PM   #3
jasonn
JDM Slut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 335i

Garage List
I think that psi is kind of high and your symptoms show that of a person with high psi on the tires. remember, you might have filled your old ps2 with air but it might be cold tire vs warm/hot tire which will make a difference.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 09:46 PM   #4
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

I dont understand the alignment spects, so I have no idea if there is a problem there.

The new tires which are not yet worn probably have more "bite" and that makes the car seem more squirrly. Ive had times before when I didnt enjoy new tires for similar reasons.

I hope you can get it resolved or get re-used to your car. Its like putting on new shoes after a really really worn out pair. The new ones feel funny for a bit.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 11:14 PM   #5
CirrusSR22
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

My guess is it's just the tires being new. Give them a full 500 miles to properly break in. Keep in mind new tires have a coating of mold releasing lubricant (oil) on them. It take a while for that to wear off. Give it time, new tires always feel weird.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 11:27 PM   #6
ontopofm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: stock

mine pulls to the right as well with aftermaket wheels, the shop that did the alignment (3 times now, 4th this saturday) said everything is right on spec, they just dont know what the problem is, they didnt want to adjust more to make the car to go straight bcuz that would be out of spec and will damage the tires, they will put my stock tires back on and check it from there to get to the problem, and of course it's all free service bcuz they didn't fix the problem, customer service is A+
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 11:30 PM   #7
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Lower your PSI to 39 rear and 32 front.. Give you tires about 500-700 miles to break in.. They come with some crud on them from the factory and need some time.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 11:34 PM   #8
CirrusSR22
Major
Rep

ontopofm, What size are you tires? Are they summer-only tires? My guess is it's just basic tramlining that wide, "performance" tires have. The roads are crowned in the center and the car's tendency is follow the downslope of the road. Find a large, flat, empty parking lot, get up to speed and see if your car pulls one way or the other.

My 185mm winter tires roll very straight, but my 225 summer tires pull significantly to the right. It's a night/day display of tramlining.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 12:17 PM   #9
javajaws
Private
Rep

I lowered my tire pressure to 36 front 38 rear this morning and it seems to have helped alot. Perhaps the rest is just letting the tires wear in. It was also extra windy yesterday.

At first, I wasn't sure lowering the pressure would make a difference because when I picked up the car after the alignment it drove like this and the tire pressure in all tires was around 29. But in hindsight, I think having the tires over or under inflated feels the same to some extent.

I think the moral of the story is that tire pressures for one set of worn out tires are not necessarily the best for a set of new (albeit identical) tires.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 12:55 PM   #10
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep
Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
Those toe settings look weird. If the settings denote toe-out, then that's probably the reason you are finding the car is a bit "squirrelly" and unstable. If the settings denote toe-in (although that's usually shown as a negative number like -0.16 or something, not a positive number like you have in your post), then I'm not sure what the issue is.

For a street car you should have a bit of toe-in up front for high speed / straight line stability and I'd say 0 toe or tiny bit of toe-in on the rear as well. But that depends on many other settings too, but just a general thought is slight toe-in increases stability but decreases turn-in sharpness.
      05-23-2008, 02:44 PM   #11
javajaws
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowbow View Post
Those toe settings look weird. If the settings denote toe-out, then that's probably the reason you are finding the car is a bit "squirrelly" and unstable. If the settings denote toe-in (although that's usually shown as a negative number like -0.16 or something, not a positive number like you have in your post), then I'm not sure what the issue is.

For a street car you should have a bit of toe-in up front for high speed / straight line stability and I'd say 0 toe or tiny bit of toe-in on the rear as well. But that depends on many other settings too, but just a general thought is slight toe-in increases stability but decreases turn-in sharpness.
The specs for acceptable "in-range" toe on the front is 0.02 to 0.12. I have no clue if that's in or out but I would expect it to be in.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 12:39 PM   #12
amt
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 318ci m sport

Javajaws,

Did you ever get to the bottom of the squirrely handling problems?

I’m experiencing the EXACT same thing on mine after fitting new Dunlop SP Sport 9000’s on the back (255/35 R18) and am keen to know what to do to sort this (very odd) problem!

Thanks, Alex
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 03:57 PM   #13
Beer Goggles
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92, 6MT, Sport

My car was loose when new, but tires have LESS grip when new. You watch racing and you know they are slower on new tires until they get to temp and scrub in.

Also you said they switched sides? The tires are directional right?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 05:50 PM   #14
BMW MotorSport
Banned
Rep
Drives: 95 Avus M3 and 07 E90 Fam Car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amt View Post
Javajaws,

Did you ever get to the bottom of the squirrely handling problems?

I’m experiencing the EXACT same thing on mine after fitting new Dunlop SP Sport 9000’s on the back (255/35 R18) and am keen to know what to do to sort this (very odd) problem!

Thanks, Alex
Lower your tire pressure and it will make a diff.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 03:40 PM   #15
javajaws
Private
Rep

I just put about 1200 miles on in the last week, and it is definitely driving better now, pretty much back to what it used to be like.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 06:14 AM   #16
lve2xlr8
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I'm having this problem too, new tires and alignment but the car feels terrified in left turns, I think the alignment is to blame and I need to have it redone, does anyone have recommended alignment specs for a e92 on h&r sports?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2009, 11:38 PM   #17
Mote
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 - 1991 E30

Just got new rear tires on my E92. Toyo Proxes T1R's. 265/30/19

My car is feeling exactly like the OP described. Dare I say downright unsafe at highway speeds. I'm guessing it's both the new tires not being worn through the lubricant oil and just too much tire pressure.

I remember a similar problem happening on my 2001 Audi TT and simply reducing the tire pressure solved all that. I will do the same tomorrow morning as I'm too lazy right now!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 10:41 AM   #18
scheherazade
Major
Rep
Drives: 09 GTR (& 93' accord!)

Go to a proper speed shop, and get a 4-wheel-alignment, not the usual 2-wheel-alignment that most places do.

-scheherazade
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 12:13 PM   #19
Mote
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 - 1991 E30

UPDATE: Got a tire pressure gauge this morning and checked my rears.. a whopping 44psi! WTF

Dropped it back down to 34psi and took a test run. Car feels amazing again! No crazy floaty feeling anymore..just pure grip.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 08:02 PM   #20
chili cheese
Major
Rep
Drives: '16 Corvette Z06

Just got 4 new Falken 452s put on today followed by 4 wheel alignment at the shop next door.

I pulled onto the freeway and noticed that the car pulls to the right. I went back to the alignment shop and they indicated that my 335 doesn't have a caster adjustment (meaning it's not their fault) and that the alignment is per BMW spec. They are blaming it on the tire. The tire shop said this is possible due to an inconsitant tread pattern or manufacturing and has agreed to put on another right front tire tomorrow to see if this fixes the problem.

The alignment shop made it a point to tell me 2 times that the tire pressures needed to be 40psi all around and not to follow the BMW recommendation for the OEM runflats. Any comments?

I guess I'm not the only one that has this issue, so that makes me feel better.

I'm not experiencing the tramlining as much as with the OEM runflats.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 03:34 AM   #21
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep

Mine did this too, was too much airpressure, also new tires tend ride with the groove of the road or the crown and make them squrrely.
One thing that may be a possibility for anyone that hasnt gotten it fixed by alignment or pressure. Hub rings.Whn i got new tires and wheels they didnt put them on. coule months later i got an aliognment and balcnce, and after that the car was so bad I hated to even drive it over 50. Especially when turning on highwways. After 3 more alifgnments and balcnes, someone suggested rings, didnt have then at start but tried them and it fixed it. I gues the original instaler did a really good job
      06-07-2009, 10:16 PM   #22
demosthenes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i 6MT

Garage List
2008 328i sedan  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CirrusSR22 View Post
My guess is it's just the tires being new. Give them a full 500 miles to properly break in. Keep in mind new tires have a coating of mold releasing lubricant (oil) on them. It take a while for that to wear off. Give it time, new tires always feel weird.
+1
Appreciate 0