BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Putting in Recaro Pole Positions. Need advise.

11-27-2017, 05:21 PM   #1
Jevi Javi
Second Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: e46 M3 + G05 X5

Putting in Recaro Pole Positions. Need advise.

So, I had original cloth Recaro pole positions lying around that I used in my previous car and gave them to a friend who upholstered them in leather with blue stitching. They look pretty good, not factory, but good enough. I took off the oem manual seats. And realized, I can't use the oem seatbelt receptacles. There are a couple of wires that are connected to a yellow plug and something else. I want to leave my oem seat untouched. So what seatbelt receptacle should I use? Something from a E9X? Now i suppose im going to need coding to avoid any seatbelt and airbag lights on my dash. I have a seatbelt occupancy sensor bypass emulator that i bought from ebay, that i will use. Any advise would be appreciated.

By the way..
a Factory MANUAL seat weighs: 51.58 lbs
a Pole Position with macht schnell floor adapters, recaro slider, recaro steel side mounts and hardware weigh 36.2 lbs.

I was expecting a bigger weight savings. This is just a savings of 30.76 lbs (both seats). Minus whatever seatbelt receptable I end up using...

below are some pics
Attached Images

11-27-2017, 06:44 PM   #2
bluebro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C, G87 M2

I have the bmw performance seats fitted which were removed from an E92 including the seat belt receptacles and they work just fine in the M2
Appreciate 2
      11-28-2017, 09:52 AM   #3
norMcal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Porsche GT4 & 2013 VW GTI

Installing aftermarket seats is always a PIA. I thought Recaro PP's where much lighter. I have Recaor Sportsters and they weigh about that much. You must be adding a lot of weight with your mounts.
FWIW, if you already have factory manual seats, it's probably not worth doing all of this. If you had electric seats, then you would see about double the weight savings.
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2017, 10:08 AM   #4
//M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by norMcal View Post
Installing aftermarket seats is always a PIA. I thought Recaro PP's where much lighter. I have Recaor Sportsters and they weigh about that much. You must be adding a lot of weight with your mounts.
FWIW, if you already have factory manual seats, it's probably not worth doing all of this. If you had electric seats, then you would see about double the weight savings.
You sure about that, I've heard about 5 pounds more for electric seats on other BMW's like the E46 M3. The difference isn't as much as you think. Although I didn't measure this myself.
      11-28-2017, 10:31 AM   #5
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosielia View Post
Quote:
You sure about that, I've heard about 5 pounds more for electric seats on other BMW's like the E46 M3. The difference isn't as much as you think. Although I didn't measure this myself.
"Are you sure about that , cuz I'm not sure , and I've never measured to be sure ... so .. how sure are you again ?"
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 10:42 AM   #6
norMcal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosielia View Post

No I am not sure how much of a difference the weight is from electric to manual seat. I weighted the electric seats on my e46 M3 and they were in the mid 60's. I don't recall exactly to the pound, but know the first number was a 6. The Recaro Sportsters are low 30's and then the hardware (custom build) added about 6 lbs for a net savings of about 20-25 lbs per seat. According to the Recaro website, I thought I read the PP's were a lot lighter than the Sportsters, but maybe that is only for cloth seats? Could be that the leather PP's are quite a bit more.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 10:51 AM   #7
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
These mounts will attach the pole position to your factory BMW sliders, which have the factory seat belt mount built in: http://www.bkauto.com/R_9281_Seat_Mo...s_p/r-9281.htm

OE BMW power sliders weight 6-7 lbs. The mounts weight 4-5 lbs. Pole position weights 15.4 lbs. Total would end up being ~26-27 lbs, and you'd have a better slider (quieter, doesn't develop slop over time, better back seat access because double the slider travel).

Or, if you don't need sliders and really want to go light weight (also has a built in mount for the seat belt):
http://www.bkauto.com/R_9284_for_Med...s_p/r-9284.htm

Quote:
No I am not sure how much of a difference the weight is from electric to manual seat. I weighted the electric seats on my e46 M3 and they were in the mid 60's. I don't recall exactly to the pound, but know the first number was a 6. The Recaro Sportsters are low 30's and then the hardware (custom build) added about 6 lbs for a net savings of about 20-25 lbs per seat. According to the Recaro website, I thought I read the PP's were a lot lighter than the Sportsters, but maybe that is only for cloth seats? Could be that the leather PP's are quite a bit more.
Fully optioned (lumbar, power, leather, heat, bolstering) e46 M3 seats weight 62 lbs each.
Fully stripped e46 m3 seats (manual, cloth, unheated) weight 60 lbs each.

Pretty negligible difference.

OP's weight is coming from his stack of mount parts. Unmounted Sportster CSs are 32.5 lbs each-- more than double the weight of an unmounted Pole Position (15.4 lbs).

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport

Last edited by Obioban; 11-28-2017 at 11:36 AM..
Appreciate 3
      11-28-2017, 12:55 PM   #8
norMcal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post

Fully optioned (lumbar, power, leather, heat, bolstering) e46 M3 seats weight 62 lbs each.

OP's weight is coming from his stack of mount parts. Unmounted Sportster CSs are 32.5 lbs each-- more than double the weight of an unmounted Pole Position (15.4 lbs).
Wow, the power really doesn't add much. Yes, 62 lbs for e46 M3 power seats and 32.5 lbs for CS sounds right and PP's are about half that....that's what I thought.
I figured it was all his hardware that added up to most of that extra weight.

Thanks for the exact info Ian.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 01:14 PM   #9
Jevi Javi
Second Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebro View Post
I have the bmw performance seats fitted which were removed from an E92 including the seat belt receptacles and they work just fine in the M2
did you get coding done to use these receptacles?
      11-28-2017, 01:35 PM   #10
Jevi Javi
Second Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
These mounts will attach the pole position to your factory BMW sliders, which have the factory seat belt mount built in: http://www.bkauto.com/R_9281_Seat_Mo...s_p/r-9281.htm

OE BMW power sliders weight 6-7 lbs. The mounts weight 4-5 lbs. Pole position weights 15.4 lbs. Total would end up being ~26-27 lbs, and you'd have a better slider (quieter, doesn't develop slop over time, better back seat access because double the slider travel).

Or, if you don't need sliders and really want to go light weight (also has a built in mount for the seat belt):
http://www.bkauto.com/R_9284_for_Med...s_p/r-9284.htm

Yeah. You are right. Recaro Pole Positions weigh a little over 15 pounds. Its the recaro sliders, recaro sidemounts and macht schnell flood adapters PLUS hardware needed that add over 20 pounds.

Shit. Wish I would have know this bkauto seat mounts was an option. Would have saved myself 600 dollars and would have reduced 18-20 lbs. more from the car.