BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

05-26-2008, 02:22 PM   #1
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

E93 Convertible - not too bad for a "Poser"

Over the past few months, I've seen quite a few posts on here by self-proclaimed "purists" who think that a convertible M shouldn't even be made, based upon its extra weight (approx. 500 lbs), the assumption that its performance is sub-par, and because it is a "poser-mobile." As a soon-to-be E93 owner, and on behalf of the "silent minority" of other E93 owners/future owners on this site, I think its time to question the assumption many people have that a 'vert cannot be a legit vehicle (even though there is admittedly no doubt it couldn't keep up with the E90 or E92 in a drag or on the track).

While I agree that everyone is entitled to their own opinions, the performance figures on fastestlaps.com are tough to argue with, especially given the number of non-convertible, legitimate sports cars/sedans the E93 outlapped on the Autozeitung test track.

http://www.fastestlaps.com/track24.html

Truly amazing how BMW took a car and added that much weight for such a minor performance penalty compared to many other "non-poser" cars on the chart (S5, 335i, 135i, M5, Maserati Coupe Gran Sport, Aston Martin DBS, Aston Martin V8 Vantage, M3(E46), 350z, 650i, C55 AMG, Mazda RX-8, 997 Carrera 4S...to name a few)...

I guess if BMW shouldn't even make the E93, there are going to be a lot of other legit, non-convertible cars that unfortunately, will also have to be discontinued now... In any event, I think its fine for others to have the opinion that the E93 is a "poser" in terms of image, but it is certainly no poser in the performance category... (ok, I have my fire-retardant suit on, so go ahead and flame away all you "purists" out there - let's get some lively debate going here)...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 02:40 PM   #2
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

nice find....why is the E90 M3 quicker on the track then the E92 M3??
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 02:52 PM   #3
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 coupe with DCT

i don't know who says BMW shouldn't build or you shouldn't buy them. It's just that you are buying a 500 lb heavier car than the coupe. So clearly it's not as good a performance car. Which would be quicker/better a car with x weight or a car with x weight +500 lbs?

I think it's great for BMW to make this car but (clearly) it's intended for people who don't care as much about performance or who want to look more than go.

In fact the M3 is not about all-out performance, you can buy a Z06 for the same with more power and 500 lbs less weight. So in a sense any M3 owner calling another a poseur is really the pot calling the kettle black.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 02:55 PM   #4
Hammer
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW

maybe because the driver differed?
the numbers dont make really sense... M3Sedan>F430?

sorry, but dont take these laptimes serios.

the convertible is much more heavy than the e92/e90 ... thats a big disadvantage on the track. Dont try to twist this fact around for yourself... you just blame yourself!

Accept it and dont mind it at all, i d say there is any different in the daily use and the convertible offers more "fun" while cruising and driving in the normal traffic.
maybe there ll be more fun while racing also because of the "beeing closer to all" in a conv. But dont try to compete with the coupe at laptimes.

Both kinds of the car have advantages and disadvantages.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 03:04 PM   #5
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep

All great points - of course there's no way any version of the M3 is going to beat an F430 short of a great disparity in driving skills, or vastly different driving conditions facing each car (was that a "wet lap" time for the F430?)... although different drivers are certainly going to impact the rankings, the only way the E93 could have beaten that many other cars (many damn good cars nonetheless) is if the E93 was driven by a truly-exceptional driver, with that many others being driven by not-so-exceptional drivers (in other words, I could see if the ranking for the E93 vs. another few cars was only because of the relative skill of the driver, but no way it would have outlapped that many other cars if it wasn't truly one of the best-performing 'verts out there).

Once again, the only purpose of starting this thread was to show that the 'vert definitely deserves more credit than it is typically given... I'm sure that any of the cars in the top 50 or so rankings (and I'm sure many more below that) would be incredibly fun to drive...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 03:21 PM   #6
Hammer
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslide View Post
All great points - of course there's no way any version of the M3 is going to beat an F430 short of a great disparity in driving skills, or vastly different driving conditions facing each car (was that a "wet lap" time for the F430?)... although different drivers are certainly going to impact the rankings, the only way the E93 could have beaten that many other cars (many damn good cars nonetheless) is if the E93 was driven by a truly-exceptional driver, with that many others being driven by not-so-exceptional drivers (in other words, I could see if the ranking for the E93 vs. another few cars was only because of the relative skill of the driver, but no way it would have outlapped that many other cars if it wasn't truly one of the best-performing 'verts out there).

Once again, the only purpose of starting this thread was to show that the 'vert definitely deserves more credit than it is typically given... I'm sure that any of the cars in the top 50 or so rankings (and I'm sure many more below that) would be incredibly fun to drive...
thats true.

the "vert" is still a m, not as "powerful" as the coupe but powerful!
Nearly every avarage car will be beat by the e93m, but that was clear, wasnt it?
you needed a proof of this for your conscience ?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 03:35 PM   #7
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep

No, didn't need it for my conscience - just wanted to point out its strengths to those who assumed the weight disadvantage would make its performance lackluster at best - believe me, if I was self-conscious about the vert, I easily could have switched my order to a coupe or sedan (had that chance back in January, could have had many miles on either by now), not to mention I obviously don't mind telling people on the forum I'll be driving the vert...
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 09:01 PM   #8
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
the "vert" is still a m, not as "powerful" as the coupe but powerful!
They have the same power. The vert is heavier and so does not accelerate as fast or handle as well as the coupe. But it is still an M. It doesn't really matter how fast you go in the coupe, the vert will mess your hair up much more!
      05-28-2008, 12:32 AM   #9
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Great post Powerslide.

It does get tiring sometimes doesn't it - all the vert haters. Its all good though. Some interesting things on that chart, such as the E93 M3 absolutely crushed the E92 335i. I also notice the 997 turbo cab edged out the coupe though, so that's somewhat suspect. Other suspect times on there too as people point out, but like you said, clearly the E93 M3 is for real.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 12:12 PM   #10
ChrisFastM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 vert w/ LOTS of mods

I had a post talking about the extra 500+ pounds the vert weighs. After all was said & done, the weight is about 350 lbs more. The info on the bmw site is skewed
Appreciate 0