BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Driver Assistant Pkg vs Park Distance Control

01-03-2018, 09:50 AM   #1
yeezy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 228ix, 2018 x1

Driver Assistant Pkg vs Park Distance Control

I was planning to opt for a 2018 with both, however because I'm looking to take one off the lot the dealer only has either or.

Does anyone have both and can give be a bit of insight on which one they prefer? Or anyone else faced with a similar situation and went either Driver assistant vs PDC? (the driver assistant in my case is not the ACC Stop and go).

To be honest PDC is pretty self explanatory but my biggest confusion is mostly with how driver assistant works/helps.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 11:26 AM   #2
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeezy View Post
I was planning to opt for a 2018 with both, however because I'm looking to take one off the lot the dealer only has either or.

Does anyone have both and can give be a bit of insight on which one they prefer? Or anyone else faced with a similar situation and went either Driver assistant vs PDC? (the driver assistant in my case is not the ACC Stop and go).

To be honest PDC is pretty self explanatory but my biggest confusion is mostly with how driver assistant works/helps.

Thanks!
I have both. They're totally different things. PDC, as you said it yourself, is parking distance control. Gives you a visual warning on the iDrive display and an audible warning when you get too close to objects. There is also a very useful graphic overlay if you have reversing camera.

Driving assist gives you early collusion warning and pedestrian warning in addition to the standard automatic braking (called Active Guard). It's a visual warning on instrument cluster and HUD, followed by a loud audible beep if you don't react. Also gives you lane departure warning (vibrates the steering wheel if you veer off you lane or change lane without indicating). Without it, the car still brakes automatically when needed. But you're not going to get any warnings beforehand. Another thing DA adds is cruise control with automatic braking. Not the fancy stop/go cruise control in Driving Assist Plus. Just regular cruise control with the ability to brake on downhill roads in order to maintain speed. The standard cruise control that you get does not do that.

Neither of the functions and features of the two packs are related. It depends on what you need, really. It's a matter of practicality/convenience vs peace of mind. PDC is necessity for a bigger car. DA is nice to have because it keeps you alert.

EDIT: Noticed your flare and that you're from the US. Active Guard (or AEB) is standard on all trims here in the UK, but I'm not sure about North America. I remember a Canadian owner saying it was an option over there. Could also have a different marketing name in the US. Double check that with your dealer or look it up in your price list or brochures.

Last edited by KPD; 01-03-2018 at 07:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 12:13 PM   #3
yeezy
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Yeah I've been trying to look into DA as much as possible and that seems to be one of the more 'less known' features. In the sense it's it's less tangible than say a navigation which is what it is. With DA there is a lot of room for the car to make a judgement call and I was curious how accurate and effective the car's judgement is.

I know PDC and DA are basically two opposite ends of the spectrum but reason I am particularly comparing the two is because with the dealer I'm working with, they don't have a build with both so I would be picking either or.

From your explanation and a bit of research I've done it seems like DA would pay for itself if it prevents one accident in the life of the car but PDC might be a more useful everyday feature. Would everyone agree with this conclusion? I'm leaning towards the vehicle with DA and quite honestly am just trying to justify the decision.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 03:05 PM   #4
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

I think the BMW application of DA is pretty pathetic, I don’t like as it all it does is beep at you and maybe break slightly. If it had full breaking to a standstill like other marque’s I’d probably recommend it... I personally would go for the parking aids as we get more benefit from the front/rear sensors and rear camera, as my wife would struggle without them. But you need to consider your usage and needs...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 06:58 PM   #5
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Does the one with DA come with a reversing camera? If so, go for it.

Otherwise, parking without PDC and camera will be a pain. C-pillars are thick and the rear hatch window is too small and high up. The entire rear will be a giant blind spot.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 07:07 PM   #6
hilld
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 Z4, 18 X1, 22 Rivian R1T

In the US, all 18 or later cars come with a backup camera standard. It is now a legal requirement. Since the original poster is from New York, my guess is the answer is yes on that part.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 07:11 PM   #7
Bob in IL
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 G01 X3, 2019 G30 5 Series

Is Parking Assist no longer available on the 2018 F48 X1? Just curious. It doesn't seem to appear on the Build Your Own site. I have it on my '17 and it doesn't seem very useful since the driver still has to operate the brakes and gear shifts. I was wondering if it just quietly went away. Thanks for any info.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 07:22 PM   #8
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
I think the BMW application of DA is pretty pathetic, I don’t like as it all it does is beep at you and maybe break slightly. If it had full breaking to a standstill like other marque’s I’d probably recommend it...
Read somewhere (on Reddit I think) that BMW’s logic behind their AEB not engaging fully is that they want to leave the final judgment to the driver. Their autonomous brake is powerful enough to dramatically slow down the car and jolt the oblivious driver, forcing them to react. Coming to a complete stop isn’t always the best solution, specially on the motorway.

I’m sure they have other reasons too. Fully automatic braking might make them liable whereas if it’s almost-fully-automatic, stupid drivers that have been tailgating or fiddling with their mobile or dozing off won’t be able to blame BMW.

The beeping in DA is the secondary warning. Early warning is visual (an icon on the instrument cluster and hud). I get the visual warning maybe once a week. Audible one once a month. Auto-brake hasn’t engaged yet in over two years that I’ve been driving my car. If yours keeps beeping and engaging, there might be something wrong with the camera.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 07:47 PM   #9
yeezy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPD View Post
Read somewhere (on Reddit I think) that BMW’s logic behind their AEB not engaging fully is that they want to leave the final judgment to the driver. Their autonomous brake is powerful enough to dramatically slow down the car and jolt the oblivious driver, forcing them to react. Coming to a complete stop isn’t always the best solution, specially on the motorway.

I’m sure they have other reasons too. Fully automatic braking might make them liable whereas if it’s almost-fully-automatic, stupid drivers that have been tailgating or fiddling with their mobile or dozing off won’t be able to blame BMW.

The beeping in DA is the secondary warning. Early warning is visual (an icon on the instrument cluster and hud). I get the visual warning maybe once a week. Audible one once a month. Auto-brake hasn’t engaged yet in over two years that I’ve been driving my car. If yours keeps beeping and engaging, there might be something wrong with the camera.

It does have full breaking doesn't it? I believe it just does not break until the very last minute. It seems to be standard on all X1s, attached is a work up I found from 2015, I know it's a bit dated but I believe i saw this was confirmed to still be the case in 2018.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=889872 (file 6)

It seems like during highway driving however, there is no brake intervention and it just primes the brakes which is kind of useless if you ask me if the driver for some reason is not pay attention or unable to react priming the brakes are useless since they still need user control.

I'm looking for which would be the safest option for my girlfriend (who just recently got her license.) Any additional safety feature would help, it seems like neither are dead set winners if I'm forced to pick one or the other. Has anyone ever (unfortunately) had the driver assistant activated?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 01:43 AM   #10
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Quote:

Yes we get the warnings on the HUD as well as the audible one, it doesn’t keep going off as I have it turned down. It’s just I don’t like it...

I’d much rather have front and rear parking sensors with a rear view camera if I had to choose between the two.

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 02:54 AM   #11
jsdh89j9ijkL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: motorcycle

re: the auto-braking.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh...suv?print-view

and search for autobrake .

Personally, I prefer BMW's approach in that nigh on everything can be disabled or quietened down.

As for the AEB, emergency braking is absolutely the last resort, avoidance IMHO is the primary option.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 06:33 AM   #12
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsdh89j9ijkL View Post
re: the auto-braking.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh...suv?print-view

and search for autobrake .

Personally, I prefer BMW's approach in that nigh on everything can be disabled or quietened down.

As for the AEB, emergency braking is absolutely the last resort, avoidance IMHO is the primary option.
Totally agree. It's not something anyone should rely on. Ever. It's only there to compensate for driver's poor attention/responsiveness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeezy View Post
It does have full breaking doesn't it? I believe it just does not break until the very last minute. It seems to be standard on all X1s, attached is a work up I found from 2015, I know it's a bit dated but I believe i saw this was confirmed to still be the case in 2018...
In Europe, BMW calls its autonomous emergency braking "Active Guard" and it comes as standard on all trims. No need to pay extra. Driving Assist gives it additional features (early warning) amongst other things. I would assume it's the same in the US for a $40k car in 2018!! But as I said in my previous comment, I remember a Canadian owner here mentioning that it wasn't standard over there. So it's worth double checking with your dealer or BMW USA .

Whether DA is more useful to a new driver or PDC, I honestly can't tell. It depends on so many different things. Is she a careful driver in general (has nothing to do with being new or experienced). Does she obey the basic rules, eyes on the road, keep safe distance, pay attention to what's happening further ahead, etc. If yes, PDC is probably more useful to her (due to poor rear visibility). If she's careless, fiddles with radio or mobile or dozes off, changes lane without checking mirrors or blind spot or indicating, etc. DA is more useful.

I guess a simpler way of making the decision is to look at whether she is more likely to scrape the car here and there while parking or driving in tight spaces, OR whether she is more likely to cause major damage by not paying attention to the road and traffic.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 06:45 AM   #13
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
Yes we get the warnings on the HUD as well as the audible one, it doesn’t keep going off as I have it turned down. It’s just I don’t like it...

I’d much rather have front and rear parking sensors with a rear view camera if I had to choose between the two.

Strange. Mine is actually set to "early" on iDrive. From my experience, it only triggers when you are "gaining" or "maintaining" speed while approaching an object in front. If you're already slowing down by coasting or braking, it won't beep unless you're too close. Seems logical and definitely not intrusive or annoying. Might be worth getting your camera recalibrated next time you're in for service.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 02:12 PM   #14
yeezy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Totally agree. It's not something anyone should rely on. Ever. It's only there to compensate for driver's poor attention/responsiveness.

In Europe, BMW calls its autonomous emergency braking "Active Guard" and it comes as standard on all trims. No need to pay extra. Driving Assist gives it additional features (early warning) amongst other things. I would assume it's the same in the US for a $40k car in 2018!! But as I said in my previous comment, I remember a Canadian owner here mentioning that it wasn't standard over there. So it's worth double checking with your dealer or BMW USA .

Whether DA is more useful to a new driver or PDC, I honestly can't tell. It depends on so many different things. Is she a careful driver in general (has nothing to do with being new or experienced). Does she obey the basic rules, eyes on the road, keep safe distance, pay attention to what's happening further ahead, etc. If yes, PDC is probably more useful to her (due to poor rear visibility). If she's careless, fiddles with radio or mobile or dozes off, changes lane without checking mirrors or blind spot or indicating, etc. DA is more useful.

I guess a simpler way of making the decision is to look at whether she is more likely to scrape the car here and there while parking or driving in tight spaces, OR whether she is more likely to cause major damage by not paying attention to the road and traffic.
For sure, but more than anything, she's just not super comfortable behind the wheel is the biggest thing than her actual ability. So any crutch as she gets more road time is really what I would hope helps. I ended up getting the DA though and the x1 arrived just in time for the huge storm we had up here in NYC last night.
Appreciate 0