F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Combo...auto, manual, rwd, xdrive???
Extreme Powerhouse

01-05-2018, 09:59 PM   #1
dcarp757
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Combo...auto, manual, rwd, xdrive???

So...im stuck on what I want. Let's start with rwd vs xdrive. Other than traction, what are the reasons to chose xdrive? I currently have a 14 335i rwd and I recently lost traction and hit center wall on highway when I hydroplained. I admit that I was going a bit too fast but I want to believe that if I had xdrive this would not have happened. What are the pros and cons of xdrive?

Now, transmission...i current have the ZF and I have no complaints, but I know that the manual is more fun to drive. I've enjoyed a manual in the past but never a BMW and never a car with decent performance. Im sure its a blast! Manually shifting the ZF is fun too but not the same as having a clutch and rowing the gears by hand.

Finally what about a final combination...auto rwd or xdrive or...manual rwd or xdrive??

Will I regret to manual? If not, what about manual xdrive?

Any thoughts or suggestions is appreciated!!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 10:08 PM   #2
Lysol
Dü Werke
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Honestly, AWD will only be of benefit when accelerating from a stop in wet/slushy condition, not much help once you're on the move (such as skidding wildly out of control sideways, lighting all 4 wheels up won't stabilize any faster than just 2).

As for transmission, have you driven the manual version? How do you use you're car on a day to day basis? As for out-right acceleration and fuel econ, the automatic wins hands down. But if you just happen to like rowing your own gears on a back road, manual is simply a matter of preference.
Appreciate 1
BillD1953234.50
      01-05-2018, 11:14 PM   #3
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarp757 View Post
So...im stuck on what I want. Let's start with rwd vs xdrive. Other than traction, what are the reasons to chose xdrive? I currently have a 14 335i rwd and I recently lost traction and hit center wall on highway when I hydroplained. I admit that I was going a bit too fast but I want to believe that if I had xdrive this would not have happened.

You need XDrive and a good set of tires

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 11:49 PM   #4
paimon.soror
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 435x MSport

Garage List
xdrive wouldn't really save you in a hydroplane to be honest. And there have been various debates on if AWD actually makes hydroplaning worse due to the nature of the power shifting.

xdrive will however do a nice job of helping with slippery conditions, i.e. turning, engine braking, and gentle acceleration. Dont expect it to be the magic pill that gets you out of any situation. Really tires become the biggest factor.

There are a few cons with xdrive that you need to be aware of:

1. added wheel gap (xdrive system adds some good gapping vs a RWD axle system)
2. added tire cost (all tires need to be within spec of eachother. Meaning a flat tire could cost you more than 1 tire depending on wear )

Now, i'll be honest, I went with xdrive because it was included on the car I found, but growing up in NE, i never had a AWD car. Actually before this, I had a RX8 which is death on wheels in the snow. However paired with winter tires, and I was incredibly confident!

Moral of the story: xdrive if you want the added protection for yourself and your family. You still need a good head on your shoulders, but it can be fantastic in the snow if you trust it and keep yourself in check. RWD will give you a bit more flexability with cost, but you will absolutely need a good set of winter tires to survive a good snowfall.

Just my $0.02
      01-06-2018, 01:22 AM   #5
rak299
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT

In California, if you drive in the mountains if there is an inch of snow, the highway patrol won't let you through without AWD or snow chains. I choose xdrive so they would leave me alone. I learned that there are very few models with xdrive and 6MT
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 07:11 AM   #6
dcarp757
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheran View Post
I hydroplaned on continental dws 06. It was a downpour on new asphalt rolled super smooth. I basically hit a low spot with poor drainage and when I turned left as I approached the curve the front end totally lost traction and I hit the wall on my driver side front corner, bounced off and did a full 360. Hit nothing else believe it or not.
Appreciate 1
anotheran389.00
      01-06-2018, 07:21 AM   #7
dcarp757
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysol View Post
Honestly, AWD will only be of benefit when accelerating from a stop in wet/slushy condition, not much help once you're on the move (such as skidding wildly out of control sideways, lighting all 4 wheels up won't stabilize any faster than just 2).

As for transmission, have you driven the manual version? How do you use you're car on a day to day basis? As for out-right acceleration and fuel econ, the automatic wins hands down. But if you just happen to like rowing your own gears on a back road, manual is simply a matter of preference.
I have not driven the manual F30. As for daily driving, it's mostly highway. Living in coastal VA, not many backroads to carve up.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 08:16 AM   #8
tjlees
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 Chav Mobile

Quote:
Quote:
So...im stuck on what I want. Let's start with rwd vs xdrive. Other than traction, what are the reasons to chose xdrive? I currently have a 14 335i rwd and I recently lost traction and hit center wall on highway when I hydroplained. I admit that I was going a bit too fast but I want to believe that if I had xdrive this would not have happened.

Quote:
Quote:

xdrive only gives you traction with no torque vectoring, so you would have to keep you foot in and point the wheels in the right direction. even then it's unlikely to make a difference during hydroplaining.

slow down and better tyres?

I had a similar experience in a 4wd with proper torque vectoring. I could feel the trying to put the power to the wheel with grip. combined with the water being thrown up on the front screen so I couldn't see it was the longest 2 secs in my life!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 08:24 AM   #9
metallicpea
Major
Rep
Drives: 320i ZSP & E46 M3 6MT

I only do RWD.

X drive is zero benefit except for acceleration on slick pavement, hole shot traction with high HP, or climbing hills with slick pavement, or track traction when accelerating near limits of tire grip.

It would provide zero benefit with hydroplaning as you described, or most real world traction situations that would cause you an accident. Braking, cornering, obstacle avoidance, etc.

RWD is lighter, available with sportier suspension setups, less complicated and less expensive.

On to 8at vs 6mt. That's like asking what underwear you should wear. It's kind of a personal question.

If this is your only car and you don't have a soul crushing commute, go 6mt. RWD 6 cylinder 6MT can't be beat for fun factor. Anytime I don't have access to a 6mt I start to twitch. I am addicted. But the 8at is fantastic, and if you get lots if stop and go or miles and miles of stoplights everyday, it can wear you down. But it's worth it when the drive opens up.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 08:43 AM   #10
Rob340i
Sergeant First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i M Sport

Just got done with making the same decision for my order went with 6sp RWD on the 340i. I always have a truck/suv always with 4x4 as a second vehicle. If snow or slush is a concern i am not ushually driving the car. If i lived in an area with snow haveing a spare winter set with Bridgestone Blizzaks was a must. I mostly drove subarus in high snow areas like upstate NY or Colarado. I saw a lot of hate on the awd system from BMW, not just from the purest! In luxury cars and in most cars in general that offer awd BMW ranks kinda low, they are neant to be RWD in my opionon. Also Its more to maintain and more expensive if something goes wrong.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 08:54 AM   #11
kpgray
GasCompressor
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche 911 Cabriolet

Quote:
So...im stuck on what I want. Let's start with rwd vs xdrive. Other than traction, what are the reasons to chose xdrive? I currently have a 14 335i rwd and I recently lost traction and hit center wall on highway when I hydroplained. I admit that I was going a bit too fast but I want to believe that if I had xdrive this would not have happened. What are the pros and cons of xdrive?

Now, transmission...i current have the ZF and I have no complaints, but I know that the manual is more fun to drive. I've enjoyed a manual in the past but never a BMW and never a car with decent performance. Im sure its a blast! Manually shifting the ZF is fun too but not the same as having a clutch and rowing the gears by hand.

Finally what about a final combination...auto rwd or xdrive or...manual rwd or xdrive??

Will I regret to manual? If not, what about manual xdrive?

The AWD only difference is during acceleration, it has ZERO effect for other traction and braking conditions. I have owned both AWD and RWD F30's. What I have found is by having the RWD with specific tires for the seasons is the best of both worlds! Obviously the biggest complaint in winter is "Traction", the winter tires are softer, have specific tread patterns that will grip better... significantly better! Although I have lost some acceleration due to loss of front wheels being driven, the winter tires are SOOOO much better, that the acceleration difference between AWD w/All Seasons & RWD w/Winter Wheels is rather minimal! HOWEVER where one really picks up some confidence is the significantly better tire traction when you are turning, changing lanes and most notably... stopping! AWD has ZERO affect on stopping! The hydroplaning you experienced has ZERO, repeat, ZERO effect from AWD or RWD... It is all tires!

My first F30 was AWD but I ventured back to RWD because the AWD suspension was too soft combined with the numb steering feel. The Sport F30 RWD with the stiffer 704 suspension and the lower car height (20 mm lower) makes for a much more pleasurable drive for the other 350+ or so regular days in the year. HOWEVER, this RWD and Winter combination does require a dedicated set of Winter wheels. So think of it, a $2K option for AWD or a $2K cost for set of winter wheels (est. costs). All Season tires are just that, All Seasons, made to work in all different environments, yet are not great for any of them!

My vote is for RWD with Summer Tires and dedicated set of Winter Wheels. Included in this combination, if you can find it, get the summer tires option on a new BMW which would include the Higher Speed Limiter (raised from 135 MPH to 155 MPH). As an added bonus, if you could locate that RWD 6-speed, get it while you can as the manual days seem numbered! Good luck with your search!

2022 Porsche 911 Cabriolet Agate Grey/Black PDK
2019 440i M-Sport Smoke Topaz Metallic/Opel (Sold)
2014 335i M-Sport Black/Beige MPPK/MPE (Totaled)
2013 328i Sport xDrive Imperial Blue/Grey (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 10:03 AM   #12
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Huge difference between all-wheel-drive and all-wheel-traction. I've seen 4x4 trucks attempt to cross icy roads and end up spinning into a ditch. AWD works well in wet road situations, but not so much in snow and is of no real help on icy surfaces.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 10:29 AM   #13
B58 parts
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340ix 6MT

The stock xdrive suspension is pretty terrible .. be prepared to spend 2-3k on a good coilover setup. And as with any new car, 800 for snow tires, and 2500 for summer wheels and tires.

The 6mt is sadly hard to find, especially with the xdrive .. unless you want to order new and flush 6k in the first 3 months of ownership. It took me about 6 months to find the right one, and it was 5 hours away.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 02:51 PM   #14
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Awd is great in the snow or constant rain or mud. Otherwise it is less sporty and is another thing to break on the BMW.

The manual transmission on the BMW is OK it's not that great. I prefer it over the ZF but the new Mustang (any coyote motor really) has a better shifting manual transmission then any 3 series.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 04:48 PM   #15
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Look at each forum member's combination and that's the only combination that you should get.
      01-06-2018, 05:07 PM   #16
Buzzo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MT 244'80 V70R'07 Golf R'19

Two years with a 6sp 340ix with a winter and summer tire setup in Connecticut I have no doubt what I will go for if another BMW is to succeed the F30: 6sp M3 with winter and summer tire setup. The effects of the best tires for the season far outweigh that of AWD vs RWD.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 06:12 PM   #17
RWD-Fan
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 (435d)

Always: Good Tires -- Most important

A set of good tires is the single most important thing

X-Drive vs. RWD:
X-Drive (AWD) might not help when loosing tracking in really wet conditions (like you descripe).
X-Drive should help you in snow or slippery surfaces

HOWEVER
RWD is more "fun". You will not be able to "kick te tail out" if you like that. One should never "drive crazy" but one can always drive "fun" when there are no others cars (or people) to hit :-)

No matter what: Always have a good set of tires. Always change between sommer and winter tires. Remember: It is not more exepensive since you are only using one set at a time

I would like a new 335D or 435D. However in Europe these only comes with x-drive so now i am considering 430D vs. 435xD. So I have exactly the same question as you. >Go X-drive or not?

Just my thughts between AT and MT. BMWs 8SP AT is really good and shifting it to DS (left) will make really aggressive shifts. No need to go manual
      01-07-2018, 12:42 AM   #18
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

Quote:
I hydroplaned on continental dws 06. It was a downpour on new asphalt rolled super smooth. I basically hit a low spot with poor drainage and when I turned left as I approached the curve the front end totally lost traction and I hit the wall on my driver side front corner, bounced off and did a full 360. Hit nothing else believe it or not.
Ok that’s a good set of u still have treads on them. I have the same tires on a different car of mine. Got it. Xdrive won’t help much with a front wheel hydroplane.

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 12:51 AM   #19
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWD-Fan View Post
No need to go manual

Oh really?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 03:36 AM   #20
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

The x drive is quick to correct itself after a little warning in wet conditions. I found it great in the snow. I was struggling on a slope and when I was a bit more assertive with the gas it put 100 per cent drive to the front wheels and off I went. You couldn't do that in a rear wheel drive and even if you had winter shoes you wouldn't have made it to the top of the incline unlike an x drive with winter tread.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 03:40 AM   #21
RWD-Fan
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post

Oh really?
Of course unless you really enjoy shifting (as well as saving the extra cost for auto).

It was just my opinion since I fell the auto (8AT) very good. With a manual you have total control (of when to shift). Can fully understand why some people like this
eluded3055.00
      01-07-2018, 03:48 AM   #22
RWD-Fan
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37psi View Post
The x drive is quick to correct itself after a little warning in wet conditions. I found it great in the snow. I was struggling on a slope and when I was a bit more assertive with the gas it put 100 per cent drive to the front wheels and off I went. You couldn't do that in a rear wheel drive and even if you had winter shoes you wouldn't have made it to the top of the incline unlike an x drive with winter tread.
Exactly one of the great features with X-drive. That is also why I find it difficult to choose between RWD and AWD.

On the other hand: One still has to remember that sometimes the RWD is more "fun" - at least when the road conditions is not too bad (as in your example). I am not talking about "skipping all safety" just leaving room for a little RWD fun when conditins allow
Soul_Glo13358.50