1ChrisRuck
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 M2 LCI  [10.00]
M235i Owner considering an M2

I love my M235i but need/WANT a new car. I plan on ordering my next car very soon, within the next week or two. I've decided that I will order either a new M240i or a new M2. I have not made up my mind yet but do know that it will be one or the other of those two cars. I am very pleased with my M235i and truly appreciate it everyday. I love the way it drives and I love it's styling overall, inside and out, I love it! Can't say enough good things about it.

My sincere question to you current M2 owners, is the M2 a feasible daily driver? I would imagine this has topic been discussed here previously. If so please pardon my question. I've not driven an M2. I've read numerous articles and watched several video reviews. As I expected and had previously surmised, every review spoke very highly of the M2 regarding its performance and precise handling. Almost every article absolutely raved about the M2's driving characteristics at the track or shall I say on the track. They all emphasized how great of a "track car" the M2 is but neglected to offer comments on the M2 being a daily driver.

Provided that I purchase an M2, it would definitely be my daily driver. I drive approximately 50-60 miles per day. Back to my original question, is the M2 a feasible car to be a daily driver? Is your M2 a daily driver?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 10:53 PM   #2
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

100% its a great DD. I DD mine and love every minute of it.

if you loved the M235i so much, why consider the M2? Was something about the 235 leaving you wanting more?

For me it was a no brainer. I test drove an M235i (The M2 was not in production yet). It was the first BMW I ever drove. I fell in love but was left wanting a bit more. I wanted more power, sportier steering and suspension, and more aggressive styling. I pulled the 235 back into the dealer lot and promptly walked inside and forked over a deposit on the M2. Haven't looked back since.

So for me the 235 was great but fell just a bit flat. if you are satisfied with the power of an M240, enjoy the softer suspension, and like the fact that it's a bit less flashy than the M, then I'd stay with the 240 option.

As for a DD, you do have to make some compromises with the M2. The fuel tank is incredibly small so fill ups come more often. The rear is wide as hell so feasible parking spots are more limited. Tires, brakes, etc. will cost more to replace. Your color choices are limited. A-Holes in every conceivable sort of car will try to race you. That's about all I can think of when it comes to negatives around DD the M2.
Appreciate 3
      01-05-2018, 10:56 PM   #3
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ChrisRuck View Post
I love my M235i but need/WANT a new car. I plan on ordering my next car very soon, within the next week or two. I've decided that I will order either a new M240i or a new M2. I have not made up my mind yet but do know that it will be one or the other of those two cars. I am very pleased with my M235i and truly appreciate it everyday. I love the way it drives and I love it's styling overall, inside and out, I love it! Can't say enough good things about it.

My sincere question to you current M2 owners, is the M2 a feasible daily driver? I would imagine this has topic been discussed here previously. If so please pardon my question. I've not driven an M2. I've read numerous articles and watched several video reviews. As I expected and had previously surmised, every review spoke very highly of the M2 regarding its performance and precise handling. Almost every article absolutely raved about the M2's driving characteristics at the track or shall I say on the track. They all emphasized how great of a "track car" the M2 is but neglected to offer comments on the M2 being a daily driver.

Provided that I purchase an M2, it would definitely be my daily driver. I drive approximately 50-60 miles per day. Back to my original question, is the M2 a feasible car to be a daily driver? Is your M2 a daily driver?

Are you going to feel bad daily driving and putting miles on a car that is more expensive or "special" than your last car?

Will you mind the increased gas consumption?

Is the stiffer and non adaptive suspension going to bother you?

There may be increased cost in maintenance over the m235, but it is still the N55 engine, so maybe not. If there is increased cost (M tax?) will that bother you?

If you answered no to these questions then it should be just like daily driving your m235, except you will be having even more fun!

Also you should know MY19 M2 looks like it will have M3/M4 S55 engine detuned a bit. So factor that in if you plan to buy now or soonish.
Appreciate 2
      01-05-2018, 11:06 PM   #4
1ChrisRuck
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2 LCI  [10.00]
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. I have no complaints with the M235i and no I do not find myself needing or wanting more. My desire for the M2 is merely my notion that it would be a reasonable upgrade. And cost is not a factor. Not overthinking this, but its merely a case of me truly loving the M235i/M240 but having the feeling that I want an M2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post

if you loved the M235i so much, why consider the M2? Was something about the 235 leaving you wanting more?

For me it was a no brainer. I test drove an M235i (The M2 was not in production yet). It was the first BMW I ever drove. I fell in love but was left wanting a bit more. I wanted more power, sportier steering and suspension, and more aggressive styling. I pulled the 235 back into the dealer lot and promptly walked inside and forked over a deposit on the M2. Haven't looked back since.

So for me the 235 was great but fell just a bit flat. if you are satisfied with the power of an M240, enjoy the softer suspension, and like the fact that it's a bit less flashy than the M, then I'd stay with the 240 option.

As for a DD, you do have to make some compromises with the M2. The fuel tank is incredibly small so fill ups come more often. The rear is wide as hell so feasible parking spots are more limited. Tires, brakes, etc. will cost more to replace. Your color choices are limited. A-Holes in every conceivable sort of car will try to race you. That's about all I can think of when it comes to negatives around DD the M2.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 11:10 PM   #5
1ChrisRuck
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2 LCI  [10.00]
Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it. The increased gas consumption is of no consequence. The stiffer suspension may be of concern and something I will surely take into consideration. Again thanks for the reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Are you going to feel bad daily driving and putting miles on a car that is more expensive or "special" than your last car?

Will you mind the increased gas consumption?

Is the stiffer and non adaptive suspension going to bother you?

There may be increased cost in maintenance over the m235, but it is still the N55 engine, so maybe not. If there is increased cost (M tax?) will that bother you?

If you answered no to these questions then it should be just like daily driving your m235, except you will be having even more fun!

Also you should know MY19 M2 looks like it will have M3/M4 S55 engine detuned a bit. So factor that in if you plan to buy now or soonish.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 11:50 PM   #6
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
I drive 50-60 mi/day in my M2. Last car was an M235i. Easily works as daily driver and more fun. Not sure what else to say.
Appreciate 2
ewohar21.50
      01-05-2018, 11:57 PM   #7
1ChrisRuck
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2 LCI  [10.00]
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
I drive 50-60 mi/day in my M2. Last car was an M235i. Easily works as daily driver and more fun. Not sure what else to say.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 12:02 AM   #8
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

I think you should either keep what you have, or get an M240i

I test drove a 6MT M240i, and have also driven a 6MT M2. I thought that the M240i was more comfortable and perhaps a bit more luxurious, than the M2. on the negative side, at least for me, the lack of steering feedback from the electric power steering on the M240i was a total deal killer. But that is just me. In comparison to my 135i coupe, the M240i was much nicer except for the steering.

But you don't appear to have any problem with the EPS on your M235i, so it is a non-issue for you. The actual out the door cost on an M240i is likely to be thousands less than on an M2, because you can easily get a deal on the M240i, and that will be more challenging on the M2. There are other aspects of the driving experience on the M2 which may be more performance oriented, but at the expense of driving comfort, and you obviously are not seeking that, from reading your posts.

As I said, if I were you, I would either keep what I have now, or look at buying an M240i.
      01-06-2018, 12:04 AM   #9
1ChrisRuck
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2 LCI  [10.00]
Thank you very much for your reply. I appreciate your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
I think you should either keep what you have, or get an M240i

I test drove a 6MT M240i, and have also driven a 6MT M2. I thought that the M240i was more comfortable and perhaps a bit more luxurious, than the M2. on the negative side, at least for me, the lack of steering feedback from the electric power steering on the M240i was a total deal killer. But that is just me. In comparison to my 135i coupe, the M240i was much nicer except for the steering.

But you don't appear to have any problem with the EPS on your M235i, so it is a non-issue for you. The actual out the door cost on an M240i is likely to be thousands less than on an M2, because you can easily get a deal on the M240i, and that will be more challenging on the M2. There are other aspects of the driving experience on the M2 which may be more performance oriented, but at the expense of driving comfort, and you obviously are not seeking that, from reading your posts.

As I said, if I were you, I would either keep what I have now, or look at buying an M240i.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 12:08 AM   #10
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
I think you should either keep what you have, or get an M240i.
I tend to disagree. Here's why: He's got an itch to try something a bit different. Cost is not a factor, so what the heck. Scratch that itch. You only live once, eh? If he tries the M2 and does not like it after 6 to 12 months, get rid of it and get the 240. The M2 will still be somewhat "rare" in comparison with the 240 and easy to unload without taking a bath on it. I think the 240 is the safe choice and he will forever wonder if he should have gotten the M2.

OP, have you test driven an M2 yet? if not I think that absolutely needs to be your next move.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2018, 12:11 AM   #11
1ChrisRuck
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2 LCI  [10.00]
Great reply, thanks. I like the way you think. To be honest all of the replies thus far have been very helpful in providing heartfelt replies which is what I was looking for. Again thanks, very cool reply

Quote:
I tend to disagree. Here's why: He's got an itch to try something a bit different. Cost is not a factor, so what the heck. Scratch that itch. You only live once, eh? If he tries the M2 and does not like it after 6 to 12 months, get rid of it and get the 240. The M2 will still be somewhat "rare" in comparison with the 240 and easy to unload without taking a bath on it. I think the 240 is the safe choice and he will forever wonder if he should have gotten the M2.

OP, have you test driven an M2 yet? if not I think that absolutely needs to be your next move.
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11462.50
      01-06-2018, 12:14 AM   #12
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Great reply, thanks. I like the way you think. To be honest all of the replies thus far have been very helpful in providing heartfelt replies which is what I was looking for. Again thanks, very cool reply
Good luck. Let us know what you decide on!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 12:36 AM   #13
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:

Test drives are hugely over-rated. Generally there will be a salesman in the passenger seat, and the amount of time you actually get to drive the vehicle, not to mention where, and the traffic plus circumstances are going to be way different than how you would ultimately drive the car were you to buy it.

The M2 is a glitzy and flashy car with a bit of a buzz about it. That will certainly make an impression, although the impression it makes maybe be very far removed from how the car will actually be used.

The OP has already told us that he loves his M235i to death, and there is nothing about it that he does not like, however he has an itch to scratch for a new car. Scratching the itch with a new car purchase could be done with anything, even an F-350 pickup. That would be hugely different than his M235i, and if he never buys the pickup he will never know whether that might have been the car (or truck) for him. Plus, there is a huge resale market for F-350 trucks, every contractor needs one, so there is no risk if he buys it and then tries to resell it 6 months later. This is your logic, slightly transformed.

Test drive the M2, but buy the M240i. I don't think that you will regret it.
      01-06-2018, 01:48 AM   #14
Wharf Rat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:

First off, I totally agree - it's a great DD.

Compromises? Really?
Is the M2's fuel tank any smaller than the m240? For that matter is it any smaller than any car of its size? A 13.7 gallon tank is probably on par with a car of this size. 'Incredibly small' is a bit of an overstatement, I think.

Yes, the rear 'looks' wide as hell compared to a regular 2-series, but no problem fitting in parking spaces. It is a small car. It is only 8" wider than a Corolla & 2" narrower than a Ford Focus RS, 3" narrower than a Mustang. You wanna talk about fitting into parking spaces? It's 20" narrower than an F-150 pickup.

Consumables will be more expensive than the m240. Color choices are limited - 4 for M2, 3 more for an m240 (including 2 white choices).

Personally, I find it to be well suited to DD duty. Despite what some may say, I'd hardly call the suspension stiff. Maybe if you added coil-overs, but not stock.

Some folks here have been saying that M2s are sitting on dealer lots. That's not been my experience. If it's yours test drive both cars & go with what speaks to you.
Appreciate 1
doug_9992542.50
      01-06-2018, 02:19 AM   #15
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

I wouldn't get rid of an M235i for an M240i - that makes no sense to me since it's 99% the same car, both in looks & in performance. I don't see how that would even scratch the new car itch since it's more of the same.

If you love your M235i, I wouldn't get an M2 either - I'd keep the M235i and buy something else and have two cars. But if you're hell-bent on an M240i or an M2, I'd go for the M2.
      01-06-2018, 05:17 AM   #16
DSTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M240iX / 23 M2 Tor-Red

Quote:
Back to my original question, is the M2 a feasible car to be a daily driver? Is your M2 a daily driver?
1. Yes
2. Yes. Its a car, you drive it. Get a good test and see how you feel then.

I have both M235i and M2. I drive one or the other machine daily. Rain, sun, snow, etc. Enjoy life.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2018, 08:40 AM   #17
emtrey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 M235IX, 06 Carrera S, 335i

If you truly feel it will give you more satisfaction than your M235, and cost is not an issue, go ahead.

Just keep one thing in mind. The 235/240/M2 all exceed any "needs" for driving on the street. Compare their performance to "super cars" of not that long ago. Way better.

You can certainly drive an M2 daily, but do you need to ? Don't let road tests fool you. These are cars driven on a track by professionals in a closed environemnt. Great "advertising" for pushing people up the manufactures food chain.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 08:57 AM   #18
DSTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M240iX / 23 M2 Tor-Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtrey View Post
If you truly feel it will give you more satisfaction than your M235, and cost is not an issue, go ahead.

Just keep one thing in mind. The 235/240/M2 all exceed any "needs" for driving on the street. Compare their performance to "super cars" of not that long ago. Way better.

You can certainly drive an M2 daily, but do you need to ? Don't let road tests fool you. These are cars driven on a track by professionals in a closed environemnt. Great "advertising" for pushing people up the manufactures food chain.
The GTi exceeds power for routine driving as well LOL. I daily'd more than 1 Lotus Esprit Turbo. Should we all own bikes and just stay in the bike lane.

OP do not ask what others want for you. An epidemic here it is. Go drive the M2. Buy it for yourself. Do not listen to the Glitz/Glam opinion or get a truck. Use your heart. Buy the car for yourself.

Last edited by DSTR; 01-06-2018 at 09:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 09:03 AM   #19
arudeone
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Get the M2, but make sure you take it to the track and take advantage of the performance upgrades you are getting. Daily driver and track toy...have fun!
Appreciate 2
DSTR1241.00
      01-06-2018, 09:04 AM   #20
DDS2015
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS

Garage List
2021 BMW X3  [0.00]
2023 BMW M4  [0.00]
I daily drove an M4 for about a year and a half and now she's on garage queen duty.

Reason number one for not DD'ing my M4 anymore is winter. Where I live, winter driving an M4 is doable, but it lacked the ground clearance and the weight on the back tires. After I got stuck 3 times in 2 days I had my sites on a different DD/winter car.

Reason number two for not DD'ing my M4 anymore is that it started to feel mundane and normal. By not DD'ing the car, every time I get in to it, it feels special, like an occasion.

But if it weren't for the fear of being stranded, I'd forsure still be DD'ing my M. My winter car is no slouch though... I got a deal I couldn't say no to on an X4 M40i
Appreciate 2
DSTR1241.00
      01-06-2018, 10:06 AM   #21
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

This story ends with an M2 in your driveway. I see the excitement and passion in your post - you're a person for whom the emotional side of ownership is just as important as the practical or logical side, maybe more so. How do I know this? Because when I write about the M2, I too feel the urge to capitalize and make bold the word WANT :-)

There's just something about those hips, those bulges, those lines, those proportions. It may be born of the 2 series, but the M2 doesn't look like the M235i. It looks like the car that you'll stop and stare at as you walk away from it, and for long enough that people will stop and ask you if you're ok. And they'll see the smile on your face, and they'll wonder whether you're happy or just some mentally-absent guy standing in the street and who may have forgotten to take his meds. And they'll keep walking, trying to decide whether to try to help you find your way home or leave you be. They won't understand. Because they don't have an M2. It's the kind of car that makes you want to capitalize WANT.
Appreciate 2
jas159898.50
      01-06-2018, 10:12 AM   #22
wanofakind01
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW M2 6MT, '16 BMW X1

M2 no question. I had an m235 before the m2, no reason for you to get an m240 coming from an m235. If money was really a cost I don't think you would be considering these two options to begin with when I'm sure you already know you can haggle on an m240 and parts are clearly more expensive on an m2.

I don't dd mine, but you will notice the lack of adaptive suspension. You can always run 18" wheels with a large sidewall if you want to compensate a bit, and have another set of tires for when you decide if you want to track/autox.
Appreciate 3