E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > springs question?

03-07-2006, 06:02 PM   #1
Mark Chen
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 11' E93 M3 LMB

Garage List
2011 BMW E93 M3  [0.00]
springs question?

I have sport suspension and 19" wheels.
Now I have about 2-finger high in the gap between tires and fender.
If I want to have only one-finger, I should go with H&R sport or Eibach pro-kit.
If I want no finger between tires and fender,I should choose H&R race or Eibach sportline.
Is that correct??
please correct me if I am wrong.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2006, 06:08 PM   #2
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Depends on how big your fingers are! Really, this finger gap method is crazy! Reminds me of wayyy back in the day.

Anyhow, I think you should go with H&R sports. There are pics here of the pro-kits, but unless your fingers are the size of a roll of quarters, sounds like you want the sports.

Bottom line, H&R's in either setup, will drop you a tiny bit more than the Eibachs.

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2006, 06:23 PM   #3
Mark Chen
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E93 M3  [0.00]
thanks for your answering!
I think H&R sport is a better for me
maybe H&R race or Eibach sportline have more aggressive look.
but the Road condition in NY is not so good.
I know the finger gap method is really stupid..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2006, 08:35 PM   #4
saini023
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
i got a question..i know its not answering yours..but i was looking into H&R springs also. dont have to much knowledge about suspension, but i've read some some info that if you get springs you need to change shocks maybe. i have the same car as chen. sports suspension 19'' wheels. if i do decide to change springs H&R most likely sport do i need to do anything else? or can i do a straight swap? also the does drive stay the same or is it less smooth. thanks...sorry for going off topic..
Mods:20% Tint F/R, Xenon Interior Lights, Xenenis Tru-match Fog Lights, , V1 (hardwire), Black and White Roundels, Blackline Tailights, White Angel Eyes (PMB), (2) 12'' Kicker L7,TvandNav2go, Playstation 2, ACS Roof Spoiler, 5 Series iDrive Leather Knob, Brex kit
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2006, 10:09 PM   #5
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by saini023
i got a question..i know its not answering yours..but i was looking into H&R springs also. dont have to much knowledge about suspension, but i've read some some info that if you get springs you need to change shocks maybe. i have the same car as chen. sports suspension 19'' wheels. if i do decide to change springs H&R most likely sport do i need to do anything else? or can i do a straight swap? also the does drive stay the same or is it less smooth. thanks...sorry for going off topic..

When you get the zsp option from BMW, or sport pack option from just about any other manufacturer, they come with recalibrated shocks because by lowering the car, you increase stress on the shocks (higher spring rates, reduced travel, etc...). They then design a shock that is made to operate with the new reduced height and stiffer spring rates. So when you change out the springs for lower and stiffer ones and leave the stock shocks, you add premature wear, and you have altered the operating range of the shocks, thus your not getting optimum ride and control as you would with a shock that is designed to operate with reduced travel and stiffer spring rates. In fact, if you have H&R "racing" and Eibach "sportline" springs, I'm pretty sure Koni offers a special *shorter* shock designed to work on really low cars.

So yes, you should upgrade the other *half* of the system at the same time when you change springs, but you don't have to...for a while.

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2006, 10:24 PM   #6
uhaulball
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 330xi

@ HRC.
if i got the H&R sport springs for my 330xi non zsp, would it end up the same height as a 330i w/zsp and H&R sport springs? also, u say it is best to change the shocks too, would u say i have to change the shocks for a stock 330xi as well? i dont really understand the reason for it. please explain.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2006, 10:44 PM   #7
Mark Chen
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E93 M3  [0.00]
my friend also suggest me to change shocks,too
because if I just change springs. it will reduce the shock's life(maybe from 2years to one,even just several months)
because stock shocks is not designed work on shorter springs
I think the best way to lower car is using Hi-Low Kit or shocks springs combo.
of course I want to choose Hi Low kit.
money is the problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2006, 11:09 PM   #8
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhaulball
@ HRC.
if i got the H&R sport springs for my 330xi non zsp, would it end up the same height as a 330i w/zsp and H&R sport springs? also, u say it is best to change the shocks too, would u say i have to change the shocks for a stock 330xi as well? i dont really understand the reason for it. please explain.
If the H&R springs used for your xi are the same ones for the non-xi, then I would assume yours will be the same drop as a non-xi. Reread my post above regarding why you should change your xi shocks to aftermarket ones. I really can't explain it any better.

Danny
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2006, 11:27 PM   #9
saini023
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRC
When you get the zsp option from BMW, or sport pack option from just about any other manufacturer, they come with recalibrated shocks because by lowering the car, you increase stress on the shocks (higher spring rates, reduced travel, etc...). They then design a shock that is made to operate with the new reduced height and stiffer spring rates. So when you change out the springs for lower and stiffer ones and leave the stock shocks, you add premature wear, and you have altered the operating range of the shocks, thus your not getting optimum ride and control as you would with a shock that is designed to operate with reduced travel and stiffer spring rates. In fact, if you have H&R "racing" and Eibach "sportline" springs, I'm pretty sure Koni offers a special *shorter* shock designed to work on really low cars.

So yes, you should upgrade the other *half* of the system at the same time when you change springs, but you don't have to...for a while.

Danny

makes a lot of sense when you break it down like that..thanks danny...i think i will change em both when i get around to it..very clear explanation..appeciate it
Mods:20% Tint F/R, Xenon Interior Lights, Xenenis Tru-match Fog Lights, , V1 (hardwire), Black and White Roundels, Blackline Tailights, White Angel Eyes (PMB), (2) 12'' Kicker L7,TvandNav2go, Playstation 2, ACS Roof Spoiler, 5 Series iDrive Leather Knob, Brex kit
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2006, 11:28 PM   #10
uhaulball
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Chen
my friend also suggest me to change shocks,too
because if I just change springs. it will reduce the shock's life(maybe from 2years to one,even just several months)
because stock shocks is not designed work on shorter springs
I think the best way to lower car is using Hi-Low Kit or shocks springs combo.
of course I want to choose Hi Low kit.
money is the problem.
did u change em yet? i live in NY too, long island. maybe we can get em done at the same place, since im really nub to this kind of thing.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2006, 07:39 AM   #11
Mark Chen
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
did u change em yet? i live in NY too, long island. maybe we can get em done at the same place, since im really nub to this kind of thing.
not yet. I just order my springs few days ago.
Actually, I have no idea which shop is better.
Cause I just live in NY for one year.
last time I changed my wheels. I just drive around my neighborhood
then I found a tire shop which is a little bit bigger than others
I feels it's looks better.
I may go back the same shop ask if they can install my springs after I receive them.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2006, 09:31 AM   #12
uhaulball
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRC
If the H&R springs used for your xi are the same ones for the non-xi, then I would assume yours will be the same drop as a non-xi. Reread my post above regarding why you should change your xi shocks to aftermarket ones. I really can't explain it any better.

Danny
your reply above starts out with, "if you have the ZSP..."
i dont have it, so being a newb, i ask if the case is different with mine.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2006, 10:04 AM   #13
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
your reply above starts out with, "if you have the ZSP..."
i dont have it, so being a newb, i ask if the case is different with mine.
ZSP means lowering more than non ZSP. You don't have ZSP, but you still want to lower, so anytime you lower(as with ZSP) then you should change your shocks I used ZSP as an example because the ZSP is the lowering option from BMW

Danny
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2006, 01:03 PM   #14
uhaulball
Brigadier General
Rep

so r u saying zsp e90's dont need to change shock if they use HR sport springs cuz they are already tuned for low suspension? or are u saying non zsp needs it more than zsp, but zsp still needs em. basically, in a sentence, what parts do i need to drop my stock 330xi w/o zsp. thx
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2006, 01:52 PM   #15
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
so r u saying zsp e90's dont need to change shock if they use HR sport springs cuz they are already tuned for low suspension? or are u saying non zsp needs it more than zsp, but zsp still needs em. basically, in a sentence, what parts do i need to drop my stock 330xi w/o zsp. thx
Okay......If your car HAS ZSP, it already comes with different ZSP shocks to go with the ZSP lower springs. If you have ZSP and want to lower it AGAIN, then you should change out the ZSP shocks for aftermarket shocks to go with the new springs.

If your car does not have ZSP and you want to lower it, you should change out the your NON-ZSP shocks for aftermarket shocks to go with the new springs.

Anytime you change the springs, you should change the shocks, regardless if you have ZSP or not.

Another words, you need new springs and shocks to lower your non ZSP xi.

Danny
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2006, 04:18 PM   #16
uhaulball
Brigadier General
Rep

what shocks would u recommend with the H&R Sport springs. in your sig, is the Koni Sport Dampers the Shocks? Do changing shocks have any affect on height, or is that solely dependent on springs.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2006, 04:45 PM   #17
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
I prefer Koni's or Bilstein's. I do not care for KYB or Tokico. Dampers are another way to say shocks. They don't have an effect on height, which is solely dependent on springs.

Danny

Quote:
what shocks would u recommend with the H&R Sport springs. in your sig, is the Koni Sport Dampers the Shocks? Do changing shocks have any affect on height, or is that solely dependent on springs.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2006, 06:24 PM   #18
uhaulball
Brigadier General
Rep

Hey HRC, thanks for all your help, some more questions hehe
i noticed u have the H&R Sport Springs. I was searching on where to get them at the best prices, where did you get yours and for how much.
ive found this site -->

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/htm...90&subcat_id=63
notice there are H&R Sport Springs for the 325/330i (not xi) and then theres another set for 325/330xi. Is this b.s. or is there really a difference in the set of springs. Because the springs for the XI cost 28$ more... yet they list both of them as lowering the car 1.3"/1.2". On this site they list it as 259.95 for the xi version and 232.47 for the i version.

And even if there was a difference, TurnerMotorsports is either overcharging the XI or undercharging the I because on the H&R site, the sport springs for the xi and i versions both have an msrp of 369.00
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2006, 06:42 PM   #19
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Call James at CreativeAutoworks.com.

Danny

Quote:
Hey HRC, thanks for all your help, some more questions hehe
i noticed u have the H&R Sport Springs. I was searching on where to get them at the best prices, where did you get yours and for how much.
ive found this site -->

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/htm...90&subcat_id=63
notice there are H&R Sport Springs for the 325/330i (not xi) and then theres another set for 325/330xi. Is this b.s. or is there really a difference in the set of springs. Because the springs for the XI cost 28$ more... yet they list both of them as lowering the car 1.3"/1.2". On this site they list it as 259.95 for the xi version and 232.47 for the i version.

And even if there was a difference, TurnerMotorsports is either overcharging the XI or undercharging the I because on the H&R site, the sport springs for the xi and i versions both have an msrp of 369.00
Appreciate 0