Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > nail in run flat but no tpms warning?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

05-28-2008, 05:40 PM   #1
dexter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' space grey 335i/ E30 3er

nail in run flat but no tpms warning?

does that mean that i can ignore it? or should i switch out the tire? i noticed it upon a coincidental manual inspection of the tires. i never received a warning from my navi. what should i do?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 05:42 PM   #2
al4m
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i - sgm

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
get it patched up. dont rely on idrive
      05-28-2008, 05:55 PM   #3
StarrDlux
Pussycat's Meow
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i montego | Stock

remember to only patch the tire if the nail did not hit a belt. otherwise you may compromise the high speed structure of the tire. the bmw is awesome in terms of safety but i guarantee if you blowout at 100-150mph you will die

alex what angel eye color is that your pic is awesome it looks like fire blue flame/orange flame
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 12:51 AM   #4
tripDHL
Trey
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG e92 335i

take it to discount tire. i had the same thing happen to me, but after a couple of days tpms came on. took it to discount tire, they removed the nail and patched the tire, and after 8k miles still good as new.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 06:29 PM   #5
waterp7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripDHL View Post
take it to discount tire. i had the same thing happen to me, but after a couple of days tpms came on. took it to discount tire, they removed the nail and patched the tire, and after 8k miles still good as new.
tripDHL,

How did you convince discount tire to patch your RFT? The ones I've gone to have said they will not repair run flats because of liability.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 06:33 PM   #6
al4m
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i - sgm

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrDlux View Post
alex what angel eye color is that your pic is awesome it looks like fire blue flame/orange flame
it's actually pretty white. the picture is just pretty deceiving.
Quote:
+1 on discount tire. they did mine for free.
      06-24-2008, 06:34 PM   #7
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterp7 View Post
tripDHL,

How did you convince discount tire to patch your RFT? The ones I've gone to have said they will not repair run flats because of liability.
Check out bridgestone or firestone shops- I had mine done at a local shop about a week ago.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 06:01 AM   #8
Exacc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 325i

Garage List
2004 E46 325i  [0.00]
The TPMS monitors the tire pressure by the speed of each wheel (at least that is how I understood it reading our E60 owners handbook). The nail in your tire will almost certainly cause a very very slow leak...it could be that the pressure in your tire is still relatively close to the proper pressure, but soon enough it will drop and your iDrive will alert you.

If you want to check this, just check the pressure manually...it will probably by 1 to 2 psi lower or more by now.
      06-25-2008, 06:02 AM   #9
Exacc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 325i

Garage List
2004 E46 325i  [0.00]
The TPMS monitors the tire pressure by the speed of each wheel (at least that is how I understood it reading our E60 owners handbook). The nail in your tire will almost certainly cause a very very slow leak...it could be that the pressure in your tire is still relatively close to the proper pressure, but soon enough it will drop and your iDrive will alert you.

If you want to check this, just check the pressure manually...it will probably by 1 to 2 psi lower or more by now.
      06-25-2008, 08:02 AM   #10
northerndoc
Rep
Drives: 07' E90 335i Sedan 6MT Sport

Have similar problem here. But I had no choice but to drive about 50 miles on my tire with little to no air in it. I am getting a plug kit today to try and fix it, as it is on the tread surface and does not appear to involve a belt, but was just wondering if anyone had repaired a tire after this much "run flat" time and still used it. I am going to get it replaced regardless, but I may have to put a few hundred miles on it until I can get the new tire on. What do you guys think? Anything to worry about, or should I have it towed?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 07:42 PM   #11
number335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Coupe

I had a nail right in the center of one of my run flats. I got a can of fix a flat and it stopped the leak. I put air in it and I was able to drive my car for 6 weeks before I got new rims and tires. I don't recommend you driving on the tire without patching it up...but from my experience, fix a flat allowed me to drive on the tire for an extended amount of time.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 08:15 PM   #12
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerndoc View Post
Have similar problem here. But I had no choice but to drive about 50 miles on my tire with little to no air in it. I am getting a plug kit today to try and fix it, as it is on the tread surface and does not appear to involve a belt, but was just wondering if anyone had repaired a tire after this much "run flat" time and still used it. I am going to get it replaced regardless, but I may have to put a few hundred miles on it until I can get the new tire on. What do you guys think? Anything to worry about, or should I have it towed?
not repairable after driving on it that long at 0 psi.

you're asking for a tread separation.
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 07:59 AM   #13
killahurtz
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' 325i w/ sports package

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Are you guys kidding? I had a nail in one of my tires and replaced it with a new one recently. Cost me a lot of money. When I asked the BMW dealership about whether or not it can be repaired, they said "absolutely not"!! Is there a real risk driving on repaired run flats?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 09:07 AM   #14
KT322
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 Coupe

Garage List
2008 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exacc View Post
This is true for 3-series prior to MY2007 (afaik). From MY2007 onward, the 3-series has a direct TPMS system, which measures the actual air pressure using sensors mounted inside the tire.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 09:31 AM   #15
ZJP
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi / B6 S4

Yeah, I just found a screw in my rear tire the other day. Brought it to Mavis Discount Tire and they would not repair it. I'm going to BMW today to see what they can do. I really rather not shell out $300+ for a new runflat...
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 11:15 AM   #16
Haywire
Haywire, brand new BMW owner :D
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe

Quote:
Like other have said, make sure the wheel wasnt driven on at 0psi

Get it PATCHED as quickly as possible to ensure you dont run flat

and BMW actually patched my tire i had to sign for liability reasons and it only cost 5o bucks. I suggest you ask BMW first, the only reason i say that is because they arent going to patch your wheel if it shouldnt be done.

then if the dealership says no, take it to a discount tire and ask their opinion...ya never know, the dealership could be lookin to sell you a tire you didnt need.

I feel safer on my patched tire, knowing that BMW did it...based on that fact alone. they rather sell me a tire, and chances are...if a BMW technician would have come out and said, you CANT drive on this tire, in fact...we wont LET you. I would have taken their word for it.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 11:19 AM   #17
Haywire
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by killahurtz View Post
Are you guys kidding? I had a nail in one of my tires and replaced it with a new one recently. Cost me a lot of money. When I asked the BMW dealership about whether or not it can be repaired, they said "absolutely not"!! Is there a real risk driving on repaired run flats?
Dude, truly... there is a risk that a meteor is going to come flying into the atmosphere from space and hit ya right in the noggin'

The people that most recommend that you REPLACE run flats, are the people that sell and BENEFIT to profit from run flats. Like mentioned previously, if the tire wasnt compromised at 0psi, some suggest that you make sure it never went below 2opsi, and you should be A-OK depending on where the puncture was.

if BMW said DONT DRIVE IT, then they probably werent fu@king around...but thats why i mentioned the second opinion above.

BUT, no joke...you can easily patch a RFT and get a full life outta the thing. in fact, one would think a run flat is easier to patch due to strength of the inside of the tire. not as much flex as a rubber tire.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 11:49 AM   #18
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT322 View Post
This is true for 3-series prior to MY2007 (afaik). From MY2007 onward, the 3-series has a direct TPMS system, which measures the actual air pressure using sensors mounted inside the tire.
And yet there's no way to see that PSI status from iDrive, sad. If all 4 tires are losing air slowly (as expected) & at the same rate, TPMS won't say a thing.

What is the PSI differential that will kick off an alarm?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 01:19 PM   #19
Haywire
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM1 View Post
And yet there's no way to see that PSI status from iDrive, sad. If all 4 tires are losing air slowly (as expected) & at the same rate, TPMS won't say a thing.

What is the PSI differential that will kick off an alarm?

You make a real good point actually, but what are the odds that all four tires are going to have slow leaks then again, ill go back to my meteor comment lol...it COULD happen.

It triggered around 5-7 in my case.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 01:28 PM   #20
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

What are the odds of all 4 tires losing air slowly? Guaranteed 100%!!!

Under normal conditions you can expect to lose 1 PSI per month, on non-RFTs at least.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 03:20 PM   #21
Haywire
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM1 View Post
What are the odds of all 4 tires losing air slowly? Guaranteed 100%!!!

Under normal conditions you can expect to lose 1 PSI per month, on non-RFTs at least.
but thats not a slow leak... eventually the air is going to give a bit, and if lost that much air that it would come close to compromising your psi...youre being a putz by not routinely checking your air pressure, LoL.

...so its SHOULD be an unlikely scenario, but thanks for the correction
Appreciate 0