Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Mixing or finding RFT - HELP

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

05-29-2008, 09:59 AM   #1
Spazdoc
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 C63S, 2001 S4

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Mixing or finding RFT - HELP

Okay, I bought a set of 18" staggered CSL reps, and am using stock sport rubber on them - looks a little stretched. So I want to go wider, at least in the rear. Current rims are 18x8.5 in front, 18x9.5 in the rear, so I want to go with 275/35x18 in the rear. I know that the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A RFT come in the 275/35x18 and 225/40x18, but I was hoping to try a different brand, since other people are achieving success with other RFTs.

My questions:

1. Can I mix different types of tires within the same type?
-For example, the Michelin Pilot Sport PS ZP comes in 275/35x18 (rear), while the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP comes in 225/40x18 (front).

2. Has anyone tried the Dunlop SP Sport 01 DSST, or any other brand?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. I am having a heck of a time finding 275 width RFTs, especially since almost every manufacturer has their own code for RFTs.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 09:25 PM   #2
Spazdoc
Major
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Okay, I will need to pick up tires soon, and does anyone have an opinion of mixing different models of the RFT in order to get the proper sizes?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 08:19 AM   #3
Icedog_16
No Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335is

I would keep the same make/model tires all the way around. Different tires, even from the same manufacturer, may behave differently and offer differing levels of grip in different conditions. I wouldn't chance it.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 09:47 AM   #4
willie55912
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M850xi gran coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazdoc View Post
Okay, I bought a set of 18" staggered CSL reps, and am using stock sport rubber on them - looks a little stretched. So I want to go wider, at least in the rear. Current rims are 18x8.5 in front, 18x9.5 in the rear, so I want to go with 275/35x18 in the rear. I know that the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A RFT come in the 275/35x18 and 225/40x18, but I was hoping to try a different brand, since other people are achieving success with other RFTs.

My questions:

1. Can I mix different types of tires within the same type?
-For example, the Michelin Pilot Sport PS ZP comes in 275/35x18 (rear), while the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP comes in 225/40x18 (front).

2. Has anyone tried the Dunlop SP Sport 01 DSST, or any other brand?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. I am having a heck of a time finding 275 width RFTs, especially since almost every manufacturer has their own code for RFTs.

You can mix tires as long as it is on the same axle. This includes mixing RFT. I had Toyo's T1-R on my rear with the RE 050 RFT on the front with no problem. But because of the darn noise of the RFT, I got some RE 01-R for the front. I had no problems at all and love the set up. I keep saying that you need an extreme tire for the front for steering response, but you can get a cheaper tire for the back axle as steering repsonse if not a concern.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 10:57 AM   #5
Icedog_16
No Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie55912 View Post
You can mix tires as long as it is on the same axle. This includes mixing RFT. I had Toyo's T1-R on my rear with the RE 050 RFT on the front with no problem. But because of the darn noise of the RFT, I got some RE 01-R for the front. I had no problems at all and love the set up. I keep saying that you need an extreme tire for the front for steering response, but you can get a cheaper tire for the back axle as steering repsonse if not a concern.
I'd disagree with you there. Your tires are the only thing between you and the road. The back tires have just as much to do with cornering attitude as the fronts do. If they didn't, why bother with any sort of specific suspension geometry back there in the first place.

On top of that, let's just say that one model of tire breaks away progressively and another gives very little warning; which axle of the car those are on, respectively, can make a huge difference in how the car behaves. Feel free to take your chances with that, but I'd advise against it. It's not worth it to me to save $100 or whatever.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 11:46 AM   #6
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icedog_16 View Post
I'd disagree with you there. Your tires are the only thing between you and the road. The back tires have just as much to do with cornering attitude as the fronts do. If they didn't, why bother with any sort of specific suspension geometry back there in the first place.

On top of that, let's just say that one model of tire breaks away progressively and another gives very little warning; which axle of the car those are on, respectively, can make a huge difference in how the car behaves. Feel free to take your chances with that, but I'd advise against it. It's not worth it to me to save $100 or whatever.
Well stated.

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 03:59 PM   #7
Spazdoc
Major
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icedog_16 View Post

My question above, is not quite about saving money, to put cheaper tires on one area. As for front and rear wearing at different rates, that happens anyway when you have a staggered set-up and you cannot rotate the fronts to the rear, and vice-versa. You end up wasting tires sooner with this set-up, inherently.

My problem is that no tires manufacturer carries the staggered set-up in the sizes for this tires in one model of RFTs. Unless someone can point me to a model that has RFTs in 275/35x18 and 225/40x18 (other than the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A RFT). The search for RFTs in all brands is pretty tedious.
Appreciate 0