BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Fix for Kerbs, minor dent and paint

01-16-2018, 08:26 AM   #1
Gunner5390
Rep
Drives: M

Unhappy Fix for Kerbs, minor dent and paint

Firstly, I kerbed my rear driver side wheels pulling out of a parking spot.
Any advise on how to have this fixed? Additionally, is a rim protector going to help avoid these kerb damages?

Secondly, where I am from, parallel/perpendicular parking is quite common and it is common to have people opening their doors wide open and denting other cars parked next to each other. Someone did the same and I have very minute dent on my rear driver side panel, what's the best way to get this fixed?

Finally, we have high pavements in parking areas and i lost some paint from underneath the front bumper during one of the parking maneuvers, what's the best way to get this fixed?

Suffice to say I have been only reverse parking since then and being more careful during parking. Would a PPF film help against dents? I doubt so, but open for discussion.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 11:11 AM   #2
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

I scrapped mine good this past weekend....forgot I had no front end warning like i did on the M4. just pulled right in with no warning right up on the curb
Appreciate 1
bollinm25.00
      01-16-2018, 01:50 PM   #3
Yellowflash21
First Lieutenant
Slovenia
Rep
Drives: M2

The first one is most painful, so you will get use to it over time.

Just managed to kerb my second one...

Wheels, can be re-furbished, and you will be able to notice the difference only if you would look at the wheels not far from 5 inch distance.

Find a body shop who can isolate that small part and repaint it. It shouldn't be a huge job for them.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 01:53 PM   #4
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

For the wheel it can be refinished but these wheels are tricky because of the tinted clear coat so it may need to go to an expert who can match the look with some paint or tinted clear. You can always buy a new wheel, which is expensive but at least it's OEM and perfect. A body panel can't be just replaced, it has to be repainted by something who isn't BMW, so the wheel can be perfect again if you are willing to pay to replace it but the body never will.

For the dent look for a dentless repair guy. I had a foam cannon bottle fall off my foam cannon because I didn't hook it up securely and it dented the top of the rear fender. Dentless repair guy was able to get it to 99% and it was hard to get to spot. I think on the side of the car a good dentless repair person can remove the dent without having you have anything repainted.

For the scrape under the bumper I would just probably hit it with some touch up paint and forget about it if it can only be seen from the under side. If it's an eyesore that can be seen while walking around the car I would consider a good body shop to repaint it..... but you need to consider is it worth risking having a bad paint job?

Will PPF prevent a scrape under the bumper? I don't think so. Will it stop a door ding? Sort of, it will prevent the loss of paint and also paint transfer from their door to yours, but it probably won't prevent the dent? Not sure though. Definitely would help prevent a scrape or paint transfer from their door to yours though.
Appreciate 0