BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) HUD - Changing MPH to KPH

01-17-2018, 01:53 PM   #1
Forestier
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1 F48

HUD - Changing MPH to KPH

I have just had an MSport 18d on test for 24 hours and loved it but it was standard BMW Navigation.

Problem is that I spend 6 months in France each year and my current car has a large digital speed display that is easily switched between MPH and KPH. Sat Nav screen also shows Speed Limit, also changeable to KPH so coping with fluctuating French speed limits is very easy.

Can anyone with HUD confirm that “Current Speed” and “Speed Limit”
can be easily switched between MPH & KPH?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 02:30 PM   #2
CliveL
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 F48 xDrive20i xLine

I think I remember reading somewhere on this forum that the change is automatic when the sat nav realises it's in a European (metric) country. But I can't confirm it as I haven't been abroad in mine yet, sorry...
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 02:50 PM   #3
Forestier
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1 F48

Thanks for the reply.

I live in Southampton and my wife and I took the X1 to Mudeford this afternoon. Drove out through the Forest and back on Motorway.

Car is on 18” run flats so some tyre noise but not much different from our current 2015 C Class AMG Line, also on run-flats. Same story with firmness of ride,, firm but still cushioned. Great fun to push on a bit and nice not to be low down.

The MPH/KPH display on an HUD is a deal breaker though. Just hope it does what you think iy might.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 02:56 PM   #4
yeezy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 228ix, 2018 x1

I know you can change the metrics from miles to KM from the settings menu but haven't not done it yet, not sure if the HUD and nav and etc are updated or what exactly is changed(I assume everything). I can give it a test later this week and let you know.

However as the above poster said, not sure how it will adapt to the change abroad (particularly reading the changing speed limits)
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 04:49 AM   #5
CliveL
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 F48 xDrive20i xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forestier View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I live in Southampton and my wife and I took the X1 to Mudeford this afternoon. Drove out through the Forest and back on Motorway.

Car is on 18” run flats so some tyre noise but not much different from our current 2015 C Class AMG Line, also on run-flats. Same story with firmness of ride,, firm but still cushioned. Great fun to push on a bit and nice not to be low down.

The MPH/KPH display on an HUD is a deal breaker though. Just hope it does what you think iy might.
The tyre noise is very road-surface-dependent, and can be quite noisy at times. I have 18" non-RFTs. Next time you go to Mudeford, if you go via the new surface on the A338 (Bournemouth Spur Road) it's whisper quiet
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 04:39 AM   #6
RobinLegin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 Xline 2i petrol

Metrification of HUD

Before I settled on buying my BMW Xline 2 litre petrol this was one of the questions I had. the sales guy went into settings (I think) and then selected km/Hr. It worked.
I am on BMW winter wheels and tyres (205/60R17) and it is noticeably quieter on all surfaces than the standard wheels and tyres. Plus the economy is noticeably I proved. I actually achieved a shade under 50 mpg on a 180 mile round trip yesterday. A mixture of motorway and B roads.
Appreciate 0