BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Alcantara or not?

01-24-2018, 08:49 AM   #1
Pganders
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X1 M Sport 30e

Alcantara or not?

Hi there,

I’m just trying to decide on spec for new X1. I am considering either a xLine with optional sports seats or a M Sport. The latter comes with the sports seats as standard in Alcantara but in a blue/grey colour only whereas the xLine comes with leather as standard. Leather is an extra £800 on the M Sport whereas sports seats on the xLine are £395 so nothing really in it cost wise.

I’ve not been a fan of leather (hot in summer, cold in winter view) and would, I think, on balance prefer the cloth for that reason though accept the leather probably looks better. However I am having difficulty seeing a car with the Alcantara seat as all the showroom cars seem to be fitted with leather as do indeed most owners cars. Maybe there’s a good reason for this?

Anyone out there have experience of the Alcantara and also any thoughts on which exterior paint colours it goes with best other than the obvious blue?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 09:38 AM   #2
willbmwuk
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive 18d M SPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pganders View Post
Hi there,

I’m just trying to decide on spec for new X1. I am considering either a xLine with optional sports seats or a M Sport. The latter comes with the sports seats as standard in Alcantara but in a blue/grey colour only whereas the xLine comes with leather as standard. Leather is an extra £800 on the M Sport whereas sports seats on the xLine are £395 so nothing really in it cost wise.

I’ve not been a fan of leather (hot in summer, cold in winter view) and would, I think, on balance prefer the cloth for that reason though accept the leather probably looks better. However I am having difficulty seeing a car with the Alcantara seat as all the showroom cars seem to be fitted with leather as do indeed most owners cars. Maybe there’s a good reason for this?

Anyone out there have experience of the Alcantara and also any thoughts on which exterior paint colours it goes with best other than the obvious blue?

Thanks
I went for the cloth sports seats because of the same reasons as you mentioned, leather seats are not as comfy in my opinion. I find the feel of the cloth to be excellent and they look perfectly fine in the cabin. I went for white paint if that makes any difference.

When I was buying I couldn't find any real life examples that were not leather and I was worried about that too, but now I am so glad I went for the cloth interior.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 10:03 AM   #3
Pganders
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbmwuk View Post

When I was buying I couldn't find any real life examples that were not leather and I was worried about that too, but now I am so glad I went for the cloth interior.
That’s good to hear, thanks.

I’m thinking of either Mineral White or Mineral Grey as paint options.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 12:01 PM   #4
Heathwood
Private
Wales
Rep
Drives: X1 X-Drive 20i Med Blue

I have gained a fortunate upgrade to X-Line and Oyster leather was a no-brainer for me.

Both myself and my wife are not of large stature and seeing other models with Oyster (3 series and the like) swung it for us.

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 12:03 PM   #5
Heathwood
Private
Wales
Rep

I had mineral white on an F20 which looked stunning and I would go for it again but need a change after 2 previous white cars.

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 12:08 PM   #6
Heathwood
Private
Wales
Rep

Maybe going a bit off topic, but how do Mercedes get away with claiming that their seats are leather on the CLA class, but with a smaller disclaimer (man made leather)?

Going close to the wire with trade descriptions maybe.

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 12:25 PM   #7
Pganders
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

I am swaying towards the White though like Heathwood current car is white and would be nice to have a change. Good colour though.

If going for leather the Oyster interior would be tempting.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 12:28 PM   #8
Pganders
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathwood View Post
Maybe going a bit off topic, but how do Mercedes get away with claiming that their seats are leather on the CLA class, but with a smaller disclaimer (man made leather)?

Going close to the wire with trade descriptions maybe.

Audi are at it too - they call it “twin leather”.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 12:30 PM   #9
Heathwood
Private
Wales
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pganders View Post
Audi are at it too - they call it “twin leather”.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 02:13 PM   #10
simon.
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 25D mSport

Have alcantara in my 25D Msport & think it's great. Not too hot in the summer nor too cold in the winter. Seats still heated which is lovely & you don't slide around.

The leather quality in the 1,2,3 series isn't brilliant although it's very hard wearing so I don't miss having it in my current X1.

Oh & mine is blue, sorry, had white on my M135i, never again & MG on the 335D after so wanted a brighter colour this time. Would have had red if available.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 09:16 PM   #11
MrTracey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 xDrive20i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon. View Post
Have alcantara in my 25D Msport & think it's great. Not too hot in the summer nor too cold in the winter. Seats still heated which is lovely & you don't slide around.

The leather quality in the 1,2,3 series isn't brilliant although it's very hard wearing so I don't miss having it in my current X1.
Agree - had leather in my M135i and didn't want it again (my wife didn't want it either) but I thought that the standard cloth seats were a bit underwhelming in a £30,000+ car. I specifically bought my 20i in Msport spec just for the alcantara/cloth seats and the Msport steering wheel!

Last edited by MrTracey; 01-24-2018 at 09:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 03:12 AM   #12
Pganders
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Encouraging to see that a number of others have gone the Alcantara route with the MSport and are happy with it. And as MrTracey highlights you have the added benefit of the MSport steering wheel, which I had forgotten about.

I’m swaying now towards the MSport in white.

This is a very helpful forum. Thanks all for you views to date.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 04:51 AM   #13
RobinLegin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 Xline 2i petrol

Having lived and worked in France where in summer it can be much hotter than in the UK, i went for the light perforated oyster leather a no cost option on the x-line. It reflects the heat, warms up quickly (even without heated seats in operation) and best of all is easily cleaned
Dark colours absorb heat and can become uncomfortable.
My wife has an A Class with beige fabric seats. They are a nightmare to stay cleaned. A wet coat on the seat makes it look like the occupants are incontinent and stained the seats.Never again.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 06:07 AM   #14
Heathwood
Private
Wales
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinLegin View Post
A wet coat on the seat makes it look like the occupants are incontinent and stained the seats.Never again.

I have speced Oyster leather also, Robin.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 09:53 AM   #15
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

I'm not sure why people shy away from the synthetic leather. I think it's durable, easy to clean, not too slippery, not too grippy. I don't find it too warm or too hot in extreme temperatures.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 10:43 AM   #16
mikemac47
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1 20 D M Sports

I have just ordered a new M Sports with Alcantara seats after test driving lots of different X1's, they came out as by far the most comfortable. They are even better than the comfort seats in my X5. Top choice if you ask me, the leather takes soooooo long to bed in.
Appreciate 0