BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Seatbelt angle is too high

01-27-2018, 10:18 PM   #1
HODLM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2/AW/6MT; '16 X5 Hybrid

I have few, if any gripes about my M2, but one thing that really bothers me is the angle of the seat belt when it's clipped in. It runs right over my collar bone and the edge of the belt cuts into my neck. I'm constantly adjusting it away from my neck. I originally thought it was my height (6'), but my wife just complained about the same thing, so clearly it's not a height issue. It would be nice if it were adjustable at The B-pillar.

Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 10:45 PM   #2
Archie Bunker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

I haven’t run into this. The problem I DO have with the seatbelt is how far back it is compared to where I like my seat. Because of the long door, I have to practically dislocate my shoulder to reach it!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 11:35 PM   #3
HODLM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie Bunker View Post
I haven’t run into this. The problem I DO have with the seatbelt is how far back it is compared to where I like my seat. Because of the long door, I have to practically dislocate my shoulder to reach it!
I have the same shoulder problem as well. I've stopped using my left arm to grab the belt and instead reach across with the right arm.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 02:38 AM   #4
Phil_M2F87
Rep
Drives: M2 F87 LBB

Hi!
Maybe consider changing your seat position in total. Your height is nothing out of the ordinary, so maybe you should look at the problem that way. What is the angle of your elbows when your hands are on the steering wheel, etc? How far are your legs extended when on the pedals?
The seat position is explained in the manual , obviously there are derivatives for professional racers but there is a balance between comfort and vigilance for sporty driving. Maybe your overall driving experience will change.

If you are a ?professional driver" , please accept my apology, it is not apparent from your OP.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 08:49 AM   #5
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Phil_M2F87 is right: the Owner's Manual (2018, page #71, "Controls | Settings | Safety belts | General information") claims "The upper shoulder strap's anchorage point will be correct for adult seat occupants of every build if the seat is correctly adjusted."

Regarding the "long door" issue there are these things to consider: belt holder. They strangely aren't listed for M2 but according to the front seats (backrest frame and headrest guide in particular) compatibility they should fit, I suppose.
Appreciate 1
ZPrime611.50
      01-28-2018, 09:00 AM   #6
Bt12
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5,2018 m2, 2018 x1

... no joke. Booster seat or sofa pillow. Wife use to use one in the Porsche lol. The sofa pillow that is. Would solve height which would in theory solve seatbelt.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 09:32 AM   #7
HODLM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_M2F87 View Post
Hi!
Maybe consider changing your seat position in total. Your height is nothing out of the ordinary, so maybe you should look at the problem that way. What is the angle of your elbows when your hands are on the steering wheel, etc? How far are your legs extended when on the pedals?
The seat position is explained in the manual , obviously there are derivatives for professional racers but there is a balance between comfort and vigilance for sporty driving. Maybe your overall driving experience will change.

If you are a ?professional driver" , please accept my apology, it is not apparent from your OP.

Cheers!
Professional driver! Ha! In my dreams. No apology needed.

I set the seat position so that my arms have a good bend at the elbow when resting on the wheel, but I clearly need to revisit the position as suggested.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 09:34 AM   #8
HODLM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
Phil_M2F87 is right: the Owner's Manual (2018, page #71, "Controls | Settings | Safety belts | General information") claims "The upper shoulder strap's anchorage point will be correct for adult seat occupants of every build if the seat is correctly adjusted."

Regarding the "long door" issue there are these things to consider: belt holder. They strangely aren't listed for M2 but according to the front seats (backrest frame and headrest guide in particular) compatibility they should fit, I suppose.
Thank you! I will investigate.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 02:22 PM   #9
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:

Wonder how much these things cost, and how hard it is to get the belt in and out of them. Most of the time it's just me and one passenger, but occasionally we put people in the back so having the belt be free again for that purpose is important...
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 04:11 PM   #10
Tano
Lieutenant
Hungary
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
Wonder how much these things cost, and how hard it is to get the belt in and out of them. Most of the time it's just me and one passenger, but occasionally we put people in the back so having the belt be free again for that purpose is important...
I use this belt holder, it fits perfectly and it's very easy to unhook the belt. Just one move.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 08:09 PM   #11
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Wonder how much these things cost
Around 35$ (both - they come as a pair) outside USA . Ask your dealer. The part number is 52302208036 (available by the link).

Quote:
how hard it is to get the belt in and out of them. Most of the time it's just me and one passenger, but occasionally we put people in the back so having the belt be free again for that purpose is important...
They are open hooks for the purpose (see the picture via the link). I only put my belts in as I never use the rear seat - absolutely seamless, nothing to recall. It must be no issue, absolutely.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 10:12 PM   #12
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

I'm 6' also, haven't had this issue. I suspect you drive in a fairly reclined position.
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910931.00
      01-29-2018, 01:05 AM   #13
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
I'm 6' also, haven't had this issue. I suspect you drive in a fairly reclined position.
Same here. No issues.

So experiment with seat positions in all directions. Remember that apart from forward and backward + up and down, you can also 'tilt' the whole seat forward and backward + incline and recline the upper seat part. And there is also a movable extension under your knees. So lots of possibilities to accomodate you.

Mine is at lowest possible position with maximum 'tilt' backwards + upper seat part inclined in a way to allow me to see the whole OBC of the instrument panel as well as the top of the instrument panel (green cruise control dot at 120 km/h). When I take my car through the twisties, I even move the seat a little closer towards the steering wheel.

Grabbing the seatbelt: I always use my right arm. If you don't like that: you can already grab the seatbelt with your right hand upon entering the car.
      01-29-2018, 06:09 PM   #14
mike in o.c.
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 M / 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HODLM View Post
I have few, if any gripes about my M2, but one thing that really bothers me is the angle of the seat belt when it's clipped in. It runs right over my collar bone and the edge of the belt cuts into my neck. I'm constantly adjusting it away from my neck. I originally thought it was my height (6'), but my wife just complained about the same thing, so clearly it's not a height issue. It would be nice if it were adjustable at The B-pillar.

Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions?
I have this same problem. Use a wooden clothes pin (for hanging clothes to dry) and clip it to the top of belt to give yourself a little slack on the belt. Just enough to stop the cutting into the neck.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 08:46 PM   #15
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike in o.c. View Post
I have this same problem. Use a wooden clothes pin (for hanging clothes to dry) and clip it to the top of belt to give yourself a little slack on the belt. Just enough to stop the cutting into the neck.
This has the potential to interfere with safety mechanisms in a crash, not something I'd want to mess with...
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 11:18 PM   #16
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Around 35$ (both - they come as a pair) outside USA . Ask your dealer. The part number is 52302208036 (available by the link).

They are open hooks for the purpose (see the picture via the link). I only put my belts in as I never use the rear seat - absolutely seamless, nothing to recall. It must be no issue, absolutely.
I did some more searching about this part number, it is also used in Minis...
Apparently it is very easy to break / made like crap?

https://www.outmotoring.com/headrest...302208036.html

Quote:
This item has been left on website only to provide the following information:

This is one of the few (if not the only) factory MINI parts we have discontinued selling due to the poor quality of this item. Please do not waste your time or money purchasing this factory part from anyone.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 06:55 AM   #17
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
I did some more searching about this part number, it is also used in Minis...
Apparently it is very easy to break / made like crap?
I didn't try to break it, nor going to try, so I wouldn't really know. Are you clumsy yet strong? Seriously, it doesn't make me doubt it's quality/sturdiness. But you should be able to break it if you try hard enough, I suppose. The hooks can flip up for your ultimate convenience (see the picture): this is where you should be able to succeed.

I have them for a year, I guess. No issues/doubts. But I've used only the driver's so far and I don't think I ever unhooked the belt. Let Tano say.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 07:55 AM   #18
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

OMG really. Reach the damn belt before you close the door. Sheesh.....
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3160.50
      01-30-2018, 07:59 AM   #19
rich8102
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

First world problem
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3160.50
      01-30-2018, 04:01 PM   #20
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
it doesn't make me doubt it's quality/sturdiness. But you should be able to break it if you try hard enough, I suppose. The hooks can flip up for your ultimate convenience (see the picture): this is where you should be able to succeed.
I have to correct myself: it is flimsy. When trying to double-check it for the people I had the hook detach and fall down. I mended that by simply re-attaching it back. Nothing seems broken.

So, yes, you have to be tender with this baby. It barely holds the belt: to flip it up as I promised you have to push it in first, otherwise it will detach. No, I didn't notice that before and may be you shouldn't either.

Here are the fixing grips of the hook (plastic, I did not notice the counterpart shaft material). Use your imagination regarding it's reliability.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 05:21 PM   #21
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Go on amazon and search for seat belt shoulder pad.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 06:19 PM   #22
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Go on amazon and search for seat belt shoulder pad.
Once on Amazon, search for happiness!

Actually, the belt holder has been rejected here for a bespoke already: http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=96. ("What's wrong with Detroit cars?" )
Appreciate 1
ZPrime611.50