BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) New engine for my X1

01-28-2018, 05:45 PM   #1
alan66
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48 28i

New engine for my X1

Welcome!

Firstly, I would like to apologise for my English. Unfortunately, I am still learning it.

I have a very important question for you. And I would very much ask for honest answers based on knowledge.

Well, my X1, whose country of origin is Canada, has recently experienced an unpleasant accident. One of the cylinders in the engine has cracked. I replaced it with a new one.

This damage, however, caused by metal particles entering the oil. We are trying to clean it up, but we do not know whether we will succeed in doing so. Wrong chances.

That is why I have two questions.

1. Is it possible to replace the B46 (sulev) engine with B48 in this vehicle.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to B46 engines because they are outside the Europe I live in. Here we have here B48: there are no significant differences between what I read.

Can I simply buy B48 versions and replace it instead of B46?

2) Alternatively, do you know any good methods for getting rid of metal (aluminium from cylinder) particles (dust) from oil? We will try to change the oil every 20-30 km and filter about 5-6 times, then every 100km 3 times and then every 500 km about 2 times. Total 10 times.
There will probably be no progress at all.

I would be grateful for any suggestions!

I warmly welcome and apologise for the grammar.
Alan.

Photos:
View post on imgur.com

Last edited by alan66; 01-29-2018 at 03:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 03:14 AM   #2
Pganders
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X1 M Sport 30e

That sounds bad but surely if it’s an F48 X1 is it still not covered by BMW warranty??
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 04:23 AM   #3
alan66
Rep

Thx for your post.
The problem is that if you bought a car in Canada and moved with your car to Europe, there is no respectful warranty for mechanical parts in Europe, but only a guarantee for the replacement of oil, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 06:30 AM   #4
Pganders
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X1 M Sport 30e

That’s unfortunate.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 11:30 AM   #5
spitpilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 230iX, 2017 X1 M sp X

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan66 View Post
Welcome!

Firstly, I would like to apologise for my English. Unfortunately, I am still learning it.

I have a very important question for you. And I would very much ask for honest answers based on knowledge.

Well, my X1, whose country of origin is Canada, has recently experienced an unpleasant accident. One of the cylinders in the engine has cracked. I replaced it with a new one.

This damage, however, caused by metal particles entering the oil. We are trying to clean it up, but we do not know whether we will succeed in doing so. Wrong chances.

That is why I have two questions.

1. Is it possible to replace the B46 (sulev) engine with B48 in this vehicle.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to B46 engines because they are outside the Europe I live in. Here we have here B48: there are no significant differences between what I read.

Can I simply buy B48 versions and replace it instead of B46?

2) Alternatively, do you know any good methods for getting rid of metal (aluminium from cylinder) particles (dust) from oil? We will try to change the oil every 20-30 km and filter about 5-6 times, then every 100km 3 times and then every 500 km about 2 times. Total 10 times.
There will probably be no progress at all.

I would be grateful for any suggestions!

I warmly welcome and apologise for the grammar.
Alan.

Photos:
View post on imgur.com
Not sure I understand what you've done...you said a cylinder cracked..the cyliner is in the engine block so if one cracked..you can't do anything but replace the motor with a "short engine" (block/cylinder head with all internal parts)...Did you mean to say "a piston cracked"?...If so, you can rebuild the motor...I've done more than a few...if you suspect metal has gotten into the oil system...the only way to really get long term reliability from a rebuild is to pull the motor take it all apart have the block and head "tank cleaned" (hot tank for iron parts, cold tanked for aluminum). You must also clean very carefully the crankshaft (oil passages), and all parts that touch the oil..cams, lifters etc..I install a new oil pump just to be sure since the rotors are very tight tolerance and even small gouges there can mean lower oil pressure...the turbo oil passages must also be made perfectly clean...If you clean well and keep everything clean during assembly a rebuilt motor can last as long as a new factory unit....But if you skimp on cleaning effort...all bets are off...I had a friend who boasted about doing a motor rebuild in just one weekend...but it only ran for a week or two...oil passages in crank not cleaned well..spun a rod bearing...and he had to start all over...and machine his crank shaft as well!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 06:27 AM   #6
alan66
Rep

Quote:
Not sure I understand what you've done...you said a cylinder cracked..the cyliner is in the engine block so if one cracked..you can't do anything but replace the motor with a "short engine" (block/cylinder head with all internal parts)...Did you mean to say "a piston cracked"?...If so, you can rebuild the motor...I've done more than a few...if you suspect metal has gotten into the oil system...the only way to really get long term reliability from a rebuild is to pull the motor take it all apart have the block and head "tank cleaned" (hot tank for iron parts, cold tanked for aluminum). You must also clean very carefully the crankshaft (oil passages), and all parts that touch the oil..cams, lifters etc..I install a new oil pump just to be sure since the rotors are very tight tolerance and even small gouges there can mean lower oil pressure...the turbo oil passages must also be made perfectly clean...If you clean well and keep everything clean during assembly a rebuilt motor can last as long as a new factory unit....But if you skimp on cleaning effort...all bets are off...I had a friend who boasted about doing a motor rebuild in just one weekend...but it only ran for a week or two...oil passages in crank not cleaned well..spun a rod bearing...and he had to start all over...and machine his crank shaft as well!
Hello!
I mean piston of course. Sorry. I didn't know this word.

We bought a new one and we put it inside.
Of course we cleaned the oil tank and changed filter after every 20 km (at this moment we did this 2 times).
At this moment, after two times of changing filters we see a little chance cause filter and oil have a much less silver dust. But it's still inside. We will try to change the filter and oil ofc again after next 20 km and next 20 km. Maybe this time it will be much better.

I don't understand what do you mean when you say: "(hot tank for iron parts, cold tanked for aluminum)"
Cold tanked? But what have to be cold?

Ok you say that we have to clean all parts of the engine. The core of engine - ok.
Oil pump new - ok. I understand.
But I suppose that we also have to change Vanos, Twin Turbo for new ones.
I understand we have to clean the core of the engine. But other parts that cannot be disassembled would have to be replaced by new ones. What is very expensive.

I paid atm 2000$ for repbuild. But when I think about cleaning and buying new elements like I said before then cost can increase to even 5000-7000$.
What's more, a new "second hand" engine costs about 2000$.

But in my region avaible engines are only B48 not B46...
I don't know what I have to do... really...

Maybe when I will be changing the filter and oil after every 20-50 km and the situation will be better after each time till everything will be clean, then my engine will work normally?
Maybe I need try 5-8 times about this method and see results?

I'm not mechanical man. What do you think?
If you say that I have to clean the engine and buy new turbo etc, then I have to search for a new "second hand" engine cause it's cheaper than buying new parts for the old engine.

Crap situation.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 09:24 AM   #7
spitpilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 230iX, 2017 X1 M sp X

If you have damage to your motor that puts metal particles into the oil and of course they will be distributed by oil flow completely to all parts of the engine in contact with oil...
On a non turbo motor that would mean tearing motor completely apart and cleaning it as you would for an engine overhaul even without damage..
You take block and crank and head to an automotive machine shop..
they "tank clean" the big castings using hot caustic solution for iron ones and cold solvents for alloy ones...industry jargon "Hot Tank the block" (if it's cast iron) and "Cold tank the head" (aluminum one)
All the valve train parts would be solvent washed and the crankshaft the same and all oil passages would be brush scrubbed with solvent.
Then you grind the valve seats and set up the valves and assemble the motor with either cleaned pistons and new rings or new pistons and rings..replace all the bearings, install new oil pump (of course the oil sump and pick up screen have to be super cleaned as well)
This is for an engine rebuild that's meant to last like a new motor...and it costs serious money to do it..even if you do all the taking apart and reassembly yourself...auto machine shops charge a good deal for that part of the job.
I'd say you are committed at this point to doing a bunch of oil/filter changes and hoping for the best..you can always buy a used or rebuilt motor if yours blows up...you may well lose your turbo along the way...the bearings there take a lot of abuse from the heat and having metal particles in the oil isn't gonna be good..and they might clog the passages and oil starve the bearing and it will be done. Good luck...
I would recommend you talk to an independent auto shop that has BMW experience about the possibility of installing a B48 engine (just the block/head unit) in place of the B46 you have in your NA car...the 4 cylinder motors would use the same castings I'm fairly certain, so physical swap should work..it's the compatibility of the cams etc with the engine management system that I'd want to know more about B4 trying the solution.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 11:34 AM   #8
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Can’t believe you can’t source an engine in Europe... The Mini Cooper uses the same engine. Have you looked at importing from a neighbouring country or Germany?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 11:41 AM   #9
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

That's a tough situation but it looks like you got it back on the road for a reasonable cost ($2000).
I'd say drive it the way it is, change oil more often. It is going to wear out the engine quicker but it should last few years. By then there is a good chance B46 will be used in Europe or at least there will be more of them available to be imported from North America. So once the engine goes you should be able to do a direct swap.
Appreciate 0