BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) BMW X1 18i XLINE

02-06-2018, 10:58 AM   #1
BMW_fan76
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 XLine

Smile BMW X1 18i XLINE

Dear All,

I'm new to this forum and i'm really glad to be part of your community. I live in Paris France and i ordered few days ago a new BMW X1 F48 18i with the new steptronic Dual clutch.

Now i'm really confused about the engine, it is a 3 cylinder turbocharged delivering 140 hp, i would like you guys to tell me more about it, is it sufficient ? does it gstill give the feeling of driving a BMW ?

Thank you for your feedback
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 11:39 AM   #2
Heathwood
Private
Wales
Rep
Drives: X1 X-Drive 20i Med Blue

Yes you are correct it is the 3 cylinder 140HP turbo.

I have no experience of its performance, but I have seen good reviews from owners of this model on the forum.

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 11:57 AM   #3
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_fan76 View Post
Dear All,

I'm new to this forum and i'm really glad to be part of your community. I live in Paris France and i ordered few days ago a new BMW X1 F48 18i with the new steptronic Dual clutch.

Now i'm really confused about the engine, it is a 3 cylinder turbocharged delivering 140 hp, i would like you guys to tell me more about it, is it sufficient ? does it gstill give the feeling of driving a BMW ?

Thank you for your feedback
Here is a link to a recent French test drive of the X1 F48 1.8i that might be of help to you (unfortunately, my French language knowledge is very poor, but I'm sure you will find it useful):
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 02:27 PM   #4
BMW_fan76
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathwood View Post
Yes you are correct it is the 3 cylinder 140HP turbo.

I have no experience of its performance, but I have seen good reviews from owners of this model on the forum.

Thanks yes i've seen good reviews also on this forum
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 02:29 PM   #5
BMW_fan76
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakey46 View Post
Here is a link to a recent French test drive of the X1 F48 1.8i that might be of help to you (unfortunately, my French language knowledge is very poor, but I'm sure you will find it useful):
Thanks oakey46, i've seen this review and it seems that this engine is doing well in everyday use.

You seem to drive this engine, what is your feedback ?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 03:00 PM   #6
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks. In fact I'm in the same position as you in that I have the 1.8i xLine on order and it's due to commence build towards the end of this month with delivery late 3/18.
I have had a test drive in an X1 Sport with the 3 cylinder 1.8i engine and dual clutch transmission and was sufficiently impressed to place an order for the factory build. My younger son took delivery of a new 1 Series with this engine, but a manual gearbox, 11/17 and is very pleased with it. He previously had a 4 cylinder 1 Series and thinks the 3 cylinder engine runs more smoothly. Such, i suppose, is the advance in engine technology over the 4 years since he had his first one!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 03:24 PM   #7
BMW_fan76
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. In fact I'm in the same position as you in that I have the 1.8i xLine on order and it's due to commence build towards the end of this month with delivery late 3/18.
I have had a test drive in an X1 Sport with the 3 cylinder 1.8i engine and dual clutch transmission and was sufficiently impressed to place an order for the factory build. My younger son took delivery of a new 1 Series with this engine, but a manual gearbox, 11/17 and is very pleased with it. He previously had a 4 cylinder 1 Series and thinks the 3 cylinder engine runs more smoothly. Such, i suppose, is the advance in engine technology over the 4 years since he had his first one!
Thank you for the feedback, really very helpful !
Will get back with more inf about this engine.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 06:01 AM   #8
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI sDrive 18i

The engine is more than OK for everyday use and long trips!
I have the 136HP version with the AISIN 6-speed auto gearbox for almost a year and it drives more than fine!
The DCT gearbox will be probably more economical due to the 1 more gear and will have more speedy changes since it is a dct.
My only concern would be any reliability issues since dct (aka DSG) gearboxes tend to be more complex than plain auto gear boxes (made by AISIN, too!)
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 11:06 AM   #9
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
The engine is more than OK for everyday use and long trips!
I have the 136HP version with the AISIN 6-speed auto gearbox for almost a year and it drives more than fine!
The DCT gearbox will be probably more economical due to the 1 more gear and will have more speedy changes since it is a dct.
My only concern would be any reliability issues since dct (aka DSG) gearboxes tend to be more complex than plain auto gear boxes (made by AISIN, too!)
This is what I found from the website BMWBLOG 12 May 2017 (http://www.bmwblog.com/2017/05/12/bm...-ukl-models/):

"Getrag will be the one supplying the DCT for BMW, which replaces the Aisin-sourced automatics previously used. Although, Getrag will only be supplying BMW with transverse-engine vehicles, while longitudinal-engine vehicles, such as all rear-wheel drive-based BMWs, will continue to use ZF-sourced transmissions.

This is a good move by BMW, as it will help bring fuel economy up while also bringing emissions down, as a dual-clutch transmissions is easier for an engine to run than a heavy torque-converter auto. The EU is cracking down on CO2 emissions and BMW needs to do something to better its vehicles. While a DCT won’t make a massive difference, compared to a standard auto, every little bit helps. Plus, it will also increase performance and give the cars a sportier feel. The DCT will be available on all UKL-based BMWs and will be available on both front-wheel drive and all-wheel drive variants."
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 11:13 AM   #10
BMW_fan76
Rep

Quote:
This is what I found from the website BMWBLOG 12 May 2017 (http://www.bmwblog.com/2017/05/12/bm...-ukl-models/):

"Getrag will be the one supplying the DCT for BMW, which replaces the Aisin-sourced automatics previously used. Although, Getrag will only be supplying BMW with transverse-engine vehicles, while longitudinal-engine vehicles, such as all rear-wheel drive-based BMWs, will continue to use ZF-sourced transmissions.

This is a good move by BMW, as it will help bring fuel economy up while also bringing emissions down, as a dual-clutch transmissions is easier for an engine to run than a heavy torque-converter auto. The EU is cracking down on CO2 emissions and BMW needs to do something to better its vehicles. While a DCT won’t make a massive difference, compared to a standard auto, every little bit helps. Plus, it will also increase performance and give the cars a sportier feel. The DCT will be available on all UKL-based BMWs and will be available on both front-wheel drive and all-wheel drive variants."
Well explained ! i heard that the new 18i engine will develop 140 hp instead of the old version with 136 hp. Dealer confirmed me the info and told me that my x1 which is planned for delivery by end of march will get the this new engine. Any infos guys ?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 02:33 PM   #11
Heathwood
Private
Wales
Rep
Drives: X1 X-Drive 20i Med Blue

The 140HP is correct.

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 05:54 PM   #12
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_fan76 View Post
Dealer confirmed me the info and told me that my x1 which is planned for delivery by end of march will get the this new engine. Any infos guys ?
Your delivery date is similar to mine i.e. by end of next month . It will be the xLine 1.8i Auto in Mediterranean Blue with Sports seats and a few other add-ons.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 02:46 AM   #13
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI sDrive 18i

Quote:

This looks OK and as far as emissions are concerned, the new 18i dct emits 122gr CO2 instead of the 124gr of the Aisin version.
Moreover a member in the Greek X1 Forum (X1gr.boards.net) that owns the 2016 version got for a day the new 2018 and confirms the sportier feel of the new transmission.

On the other hand the AISIN has been working really well and being a Toyota owner for more than 15 years I do appreciate the fact that my X1 has a Toyota made part in it!

As far as the engine is concerned there is no new engine just a slightly different mapping that adds 4 more HP.
This little engine seems to have more room for improvement since it can be tuned to 170
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 05:26 AM   #14
Douggie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1, X3

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...70609EN/385151
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 11:09 AM   #15
BMW_fan76
Rep