BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) fuel door mechanism broken

02-12-2018, 09:24 PM   #1
orion_squall
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92

fuel door mechanism broken

Hi,

We recently purchased an used 2016 BMW X1 x28i with 30,000km.

We noticed that the fuel door mechanism is broken. And the inside of the fuel door looks different from my E92. There seem to be a plastic pin that is attached to the X1 fuel door? Ours is all chewed up...but we think something does not look right.

We don't think the car came with a regid plastic pin, so we would like to ask if there are anyone nice enough to post a picture of the fuel door interior and brifly explain how it get locked and released?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 06:50 AM   #2
Vogit
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20D xLine

May not be the same as yours, as mine is diesel: Locks/unlocks with central locking, just push the flap inwards to open. The lug with the hole on the door end of the hinge is for parking the filler cap.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 07:38 AM   #3
landrumdh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F48

The US gas model looks the same as the picture above. It's also controlled by the locked status of the doors. Makes a satisfying thunk on the passenger side when locking / unlocking the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 09:23 PM   #4
orion_squall
Enlisted Member
Rep

Appreciated guys.

Now it is confirmed, our "pin" on the flap is somehow chowed up. It is missing the surrounding "wrap" so the door does not spring open. What left is a slightly bended and chewed up center plastic pin. And we noticed that the remaining pin can still go into the hole but it just does not lock.

I hope the dealer will be able to replace it under warranty. However, I have a feeling they will say this is normal "wear and tear", result of Canadian Winter...
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 12:39 PM   #5
Vogit
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20D xLine

Sounds a bit like the door has been forced open at sometime. Shouldn't have been sold to you like that!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 10:49 PM   #6
orion_squall
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hi,

Some updates to add value to this forum.

So my the dealer near my office was reluctant to do a free warranty service for this, because they believe the door was forced in or out.

A more valuable infomation is that BMW does not sell just that pin which is attached to the door, instead they gave me this part number 51-17-7-359-171.

This part number will lead to a diagram named "fuel pocket". So the pin is part of the "fuel pocket" althought it is cleary a separate component that is actually attached to the door.

The part itself is about $100 canadian dollars. The the labor will be a lot.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 12:53 AM   #7
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Looks pretty easy to change yourself

https://goo.gl/images/yVzcUZ

The other side appears to be held to the hinge by one screw....
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 01:32 AM   #8
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
Looks pretty easy to change yourself

https://goo.gl/images/yVzcUZ

The other side appears to be held to the hinge by one screw....
Actually having another look at this the whole black plastic piece around the fuel filler cap, the hinge and the door backer are most likely one piece. Still looks relatively simple to remove
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 09:39 PM   #9
orion_squall
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hi,

Some updates. To install 51-17-7-359-171, official name is "cover pot".

I believe the dealer explained to be that it is a one time installed item. For instance, the removal of the the old one destroys it.

There are 4 alignmnt dots on the original cover pot (see Vogit's picture). There will be a need to drill them out completely. Then take off the rear right wheel and its wheel wall in order to access the wires/latch from the back.

The risk of doing this DIY is underestimating how tight the original cover is, and by pulling it out from the outside, there will likely be scratchs. I will still looking into how exactly I can do this safely.

I have found one example on line, but that DIYer's skill is very poor so this is essentially a bad example. However the video did show how things are put together.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 09:05 AM   #10
flavioff
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw X1 F48 2019 X-line

In my F48 2019 the door is not opening, even with the car unlocked. how do I open it, can someone help?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 01:46 PM   #11
pcy
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 X1 x28i

Typically, there's an emergency/manual pull behind the liner inside the trunk/cargo area (immediately behind the gas cap area). I looked for it and didn't find it in my '18 X1. If I were you, I'd remove rear right wheel and pull down the wheel liner. I think there will be a way to pull that open manually.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 05:05 PM   #12
pcy
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 X1 x28i

Here's is a picture that shows back side of that "cover pot". I only see the electrical connector on the left side. I don't see any mechanical connection for any pull.

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
wcs2229170.50
      03-14-2021, 09:44 AM   #13
Timmins
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xdrive

Manually unlocking fuel filler door

According to the 2016 owners manual, there is a manual way to open the fuel filler door. The release is located in the trunk:

Pull the green knob with the fuel pump symbol.
This releases the fuel filler flap. Briefly press
the rear edge of the fuel filler flap

*I don't have my vehicle nearby, so I can't verify this info.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 10:40 AM   #14
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmins View Post
According to the 2016 owners manual, there is a manual way to open the fuel filler door. The release is located in the trunk:

Pull the green knob with the fuel pump symbol.
This releases the fuel filler flap. Briefly press
the rear edge of the fuel filler flap

I don't have my vehicle nearby, so I can't verify this info.
I’ve just had a look at the online Drivers Guide for my 2018 X1 and, for emergency fuel filler cover release, all it says is ‘contact a Service Partner’, which I take it means a BMW dealer or approved workshop.
Pretty useless really and I hadn’t realised there wasn’t the facility to make an ‘emergency’ release of the flap.
My previous Audi models always had a pull release in the luggage compartment, so this just looks like a penny pinching omission by the manufacturer.

Last edited by oakey46; 03-14-2021 at 10:48 AM..
Appreciate 0