THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning What to do with my M240i!

02-14-2018, 01:09 PM   #1
Arman_F22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F22 M240i

What to do with my M240i!

Hey guys, I'm looking for some recommendations on what route to take with my car. I am leasing a 2017 M240i, and for now I have an Agency Power intake installed, along with some exterior/interior upgrades. I still have 2.5 years left with the car, so I think it's worth playing with it and then re-selling parts later if I don't purchase the car. However, I need to know if anyone is having problems with their upgrades because I don't want to have a headache with my dealer/warranty/servicing, or with anything happening to the car's ECU. What I'm most interested in is if I should install the JB+ with a catless downpipe (VRSF probably - recommendations would be nice).

Note - I'm not sure about the following info. so hopefully people can help figure this out.

Route 1- it's a lease, just upgrade the exhaust, now that you have the intake, and leave it alone. JB+ and a catless downpipe will get you a CEL and can lead to engine hesitation/shift lag. Dealer will know you're plug and playing a tune. Too many problems/have to maintain the car/tune and have to always be careful or worried.

Route 2- do the JB+ and get a catless downpipe for a nice sounding exhaust + power increase to go with the JB+ and enjoy your car. There are no problems unless you do something wrong - dial down the JB plus from its stock setting justttt a little to be safe.

I think this thread can answer a lot of questions people on here are asking, that aren't taking the JB4 full tune + mods route. Where are the BMW veterans!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 12:28 PM   #2
AlexM240i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

I'm just gonna refer to the exhaust: Install the M Performance Exhaust and delete both resonators after the cat. Cheap mod you won't regret.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 06:44 PM   #3
DaleHeinz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240Xi Estoril Blue

I did the Dinan midpipe (res delete) and the Dinan Stage 1. I had a few issues with the tune, but Dinan made good on their warranty and resolved it. Best $2K I could have spent on the car. I went with Dinan for the warranty and partnership with the Dealer. That way, if anything went wrong, it was their battle to fight and not mine. Sure, the JB tunes may put up some slightly better numbers, but this is my daily driver, and it's damn quick for a commuter car and covered by two warranties.
Appreciate 1
WolfGTI688.50
      02-16-2018, 07:20 PM   #4
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F22,15 E84 M Sport,02 R53

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2002 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
I went the same route - didn't have any problems.
I did it for all the same reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleHeinz View Post
I did the Dinan midpipe (res delete) and the Dinan Stage 1. I had a few issues with the tune, but Dinan made good on their warranty and resolved it. Best $2K I could have spent on the car. I went with Dinan for the warranty and partnership with the Dealer. That way, if anything went wrong, it was their battle to fight and not mine. Sure, the JB tunes may put up some slightly better numbers, but this is my daily driver, and it's damn quick for a commuter car and covered by two warranties.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 04:40 PM   #5
Arman_F22
United_States
Rep

I wish Dinan's SPORT tune had warranty with it - but they kept the price point low so there's no warranty included. I'm still debating, I guess not a lot of people have answers but thanks!

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 04:55 PM   #6
DaleHeinz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240Xi Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arman_F22 View Post
I wish Dinan's SPORT tune had warranty with it - but they kept the price point low so there's no warranty included. I'm still debating, I guess not a lot of people have answers but thanks!

Quote:
It's kind of the principle of, if you're going to do it, do it right. The sport tune will get you some more power, but just basically fools the car into thinking it needs more boost pressure. The Stage 1 actually changes and effects much more and is an actual "tune."

It's well worth the $$.

I plan on owning this car for quite a while, so I went the safest route with my performance mod. I want a reliable daily, but I wanted more power than stock. This was a great compromise.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 06:53 AM   #7
VIN240i13
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M240i F23

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexM240i View Post
I'm just gonna refer to the exhaust: Install the M Performance Exhaust and delete both resonators after the cat. Cheap mod you won't regret.

As a convertible owner the Dinan midpipe is not an option. My dealer’s service manager knows about the resonator delete hack and will make owners re-install both resonators before diagnosing any CEL’s.

Too much of a hassle for me, but for those thinking of going that way may I suggest you keep the OEM resonators just in case your service manager is as picky as mine.

If the dealership’s service department is a Dinan dealer and you’re not a convertible owner then I would avoid the resonator hack hassle and get the midpipe, the sound you get with the midpipe and stock muffler alone may be that sound some are looking for anyway, skip the $$$ for the MPE and add the Stage 1.

For me, my options are limited so I’m going with the Dinan Stage 1 only for now, I just can’t justify the cost of a dealer installed MPE just for a few more “burps”.
BMW CCA #535395
SCCA #619713
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 09:32 PM   #8
B58togo
Major
Rep
Drives: M240i

^^

Find another dealer. Deleting resonators isn't going to cause any CEL's.
      02-21-2018, 07:08 AM   #9
Mbbrewer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIN240i13 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexM240i View Post

As a convertible owner the Dinan midpipe is not an option. My dealer’s service manager knows about the resonator delete hack and will make owners re-install both resonators before diagnosing any CEL’s.

Too much of a hassle for me, but for those thinking of going that way may I suggest you keep the OEM resonators just in case your service manager is as picky as mine.

If the dealership’s service department is a Dinan dealer and you’re not a convertible owner then I would avoid the resonator hack hassle and get the midpipe, the sound you get with the midpipe and stock muffler alone may be that sound some are looking for anyway, skip the $$$ for the MPE and add the Stage 1.

For me, my options are limited so I’m going with the Dinan Stage 1 only for now, I just can’t justify the cost of a dealer installed MPE just for a few more “burps”.
Worst dealership ever.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 04:46 PM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

If you are looking for sound, get the REMUS catback and replace it when its time to return your car.

JB+ with downpipe will get you a code ... I would skip the downpipe (being that car is a lease) and get the JB+ instead

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 06:40 PM   #11
VIN240i13
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbbrewer View Post
Worst dealership ever.
I agree from the standpoint of the resonator delete policy from the BMW owner’s perspective but I guess the service manager is just doing their job.

I have not seen any “official” BMW document concerning this policy, I wonder of one does exist, I may ask during my next service trip.

I will say compared to the dealership where I purchased the car, the overall service I have received has been second to none, so I can’t totally agree on “worst dealership ever”.

Proper example of a candidate for worst dealership ever:

Purchasing Dealership: 65 miles away (Worst)

Took BMW for software upgrade, made appointment as requested, told 2 hours max. After almost 4 and still no information on ETA, I complained to the service manager and he said their software guy called in sick and no one bothered to let me know? The guy basically blew me off and said make another appointment, nice. On top of crappy service, the waiting room was small, no free Internet, bathrooms filthy, vending machine out of order and this is a new dealership that is less than 2 years old!

Local BMW Dealership 23 miles away (Better regardless of resonator hack policy)

Made appointment, dealership called and texted back within 24 hours to confirm. When I got there they had a rental at my disposal if I wanted, was told 2 hours max. Waiting room was huge, free Internet, bathroom clean, free snacks (the good stuff if you’re not on a diet…), water and soda. I was the first person there in the AM and the service manager took the time to greet me and sit down with me to ask if I liked the car and why I did not purchase at their dealership. (No vert in stock). They have a huge Dinan display which prompted the conversation that brought up the resonator delete topic. The car came back to me on time, hand washed, dried and vacuumed with paper mats an plastic on seat which was removed before the key fob was returned.
BMW CCA #535395
SCCA #619713
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 09:15 PM   #12
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i, AT, BSM

Quote:
Same here, same reasons. Very happy with these mods.
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 09:34 PM   #13
VIN240i13
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58togo View Post
^^

Find another dealer. Deleting resonators isn't going to cause any CEL's.
Another dealer?

Good advice if it was practical to impellent, in my case it is not. I have limited dealer choices if I want to stay under 100 miles for service.
I opted for the Stage 1 mod for now, 100% pleased with the results. There are cheaper M Performance muffler’s on eBay so I may spring the cash and have a local muffler shop install, figure this will save me about $500+ from dealer purchase/install.
BMW CCA #535395
SCCA #619713
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 12:59 PM   #14
Arman_F22
United_States
Rep

I went with the resonator delete for now since my dealer doesn't give me problems with resonators or mufflers, and I must say it was well worth it. People on here say their sound increase was about 15-20%, but my muffler shop cut both resonators together and installed one big SS pipe (basically a midpipe) for $100 (negotiated down from $120) and I feel like the sound is 30-35% increased. Very loud cold starts, no drone in high gears, and very pleasing roar. Snap, crackle, pop
Appreciate 2