BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Extended interior led light pack

02-17-2018, 07:00 AM   #1
Pganders
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X1 M Sport 30e

Extended interior led light pack

Hi again,

Still playing around with my options and one item I’m considering is the Extended interior light pack at £220. However I’m having difficulty getting clarification on what it includes over the standard led interior lights. And indeed is it worth the extra?

Any guidance would be appreciated, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 01:53 PM   #2
CliveL
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 F48 xDrive20i xLine

When I bought my xLine back in June 2016 it came with what's described in the standard specification document as "LED ambient lighting in door trim". I opted for the "Driver Comfort" package which included PDC front and rear, "basic" cruise control, and the "Extended Lighting" package, which appears as option code 563 (Light package) on the list of items in my build. It included reading lights above the front and rear seats, LED lighting across the dashboard, lights in the vanity mirrors, footwell welcome lights and lights in the exterior door handles. I really like the look of the interior at night

I'm guessing that most of these are available in the £220 cost option listed on the current X1 build site. Although the current standard specification document (Nov 2017) still lists "LED ambient lighting in door trim" it doesn't mention any other lights.

I don't know which variant (Sport, xLine, M Sport) you are looking at, but it may just be worth getting the dealer to confirm what's "standard" for that variant, and what is now an extra in this £220 package.

I'm sure you've seen the description of the Extended Interior Light option, but here's what they say:

"The atmospheric Ambient lighting contains various LED lights and yields an ambience of pure quality. The driver is welcomed with an impressive “welcome” illumination, a carpet of light in front of the vehicle. Ambient light pleasantly and elegantly lights up the interior with a stylish combination of direct and indirect lights, creating an atmosphere of wellbeing. Lights are located in the vanity mirrors, for example. Front and rear reading lights are also included."

To be honest I really wanted the front and rear Parking Distance Control, and Cruise Control, so the extra lighting was a bonus. I'd consider the Driver Comfort package if I were you, assuming it's still on the current price list?

Last edited by CliveL; 02-17-2018 at 02:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 03:31 AM   #3
Pganders
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Hi Clive, thanks for your response.

The 2018 model doesn’t appear to have a Driver Comfort pack as some of the items are now included as standard apart from the Extended lights and front parking sensors. I’ve alread specced up the front parking sensors which now includes Park Assist.

The dealer was very vague on what was standard and reckoned the Extended lights pack was not worth the money!! However from your description though of the lighting there’s a couple of optional essentials that I would want, vanity mirror lights and reading lights, which I see are not standard. And the extra mood lighting would be a nice touch.

So, looks like another Option box to tick!

Thanks

P.S I’m looking at the xLine trim version.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 05:14 AM   #4
Yoquinny
Rep
Drives: F48 2.0D X-line X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliveL View Post
When I bought my xLine back in June 2016 it came with what's described in the standard specification document as "LED ambient lighting in door trim". I opted for the "Driver Comfort" package which included PDC front and rear, "basic" cruise control, and the "Extended Lighting" package, which appears as option code 563 (Light package) on the list of items in my build. It included reading lights above the front and rear seats, LED lighting across the dashboard, lights in the vanity mirrors, footwell welcome lights and lights in the exterior door handles. I really like the look of the interior at night

I'm guessing that most of these are available in the £220 cost option listed on the current X1 build site. Although the current standard specification document (Nov 2017) still lists "LED ambient lighting in door trim" it doesn't mention any other lights.

I don't know which variant (Sport, xLine, M Sport) you are looking at, but it may just be worth getting the dealer to confirm what's "standard" for that variant, and what is now an extra in this £220 package.

I'm sure you've seen the description of the Extended Interior Light option, but here's what they say:

"The atmospheric Ambient lighting contains various LED lights and yields an ambience of pure quality. The driver is welcomed with an impressive “welcome” illumination, a carpet of light in front of the vehicle. Ambient light pleasantly and elegantly lights up the interior with a stylish combination of direct and indirect lights, creating an atmosphere of wellbeing. Lights are located in the vanity mirrors, for example. Front and rear reading lights are also included."

To be honest I really wanted the front and rear Parking Distance Control, and Cruise Control, so the extra lighting was a bonus. I'd consider the Driver Comfort package if I were you, assuming it's still on the current price list?
I had extended lighting on my 320D MSport, I didn't specify it on my F48 XLine, big mistake. I thought it was just lighting door handles and a few odds and sods. Even on the XLine spec, there's no footwell lighting at all let alone LED and the standard lighting is weak in my opinion. So, if ordering any future BMW it would be one of the first options I choose, I really miss extended lighting.

Similarly I'd always go for the Harmon Kardon audio, heated sport seats and HUD/Extended Nav no question. Same for the bigger fuel tank, no brainer that one.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 06:33 AM   #5
Pganders
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoquinny View Post
I had extended lighting on my 320D MSport, I didn't specify it on my F48 XLine, big mistake. I thought it was just lighting door handles and a few odds and sods. Even on the XLine spec, there's no footwell lighting at all let alone LED and the standard lighting is weak in my opinion. So, if ordering any future BMW it would be one of the first options I choose, I really miss extended lighting.

Similarly I'd always go for the Harmon Kardon audio, heated sport seats and HUD/Extended Nav no question. Same for the bigger fuel tank, no brainer that one.
Seems a bit of penny pinching on what is classed as a “luxury” trim but then more profit for BMW. Thanks for reminding me about the fuel tank option but charging £40 for an extra 10 litre fuel tank?? Definitely going for the Extended interior lights.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 08:13 AM   #6
CliveL
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

If it helps, the larger fuel tank (option code 1AG) was standard on the petrol X1. It was a cost option on the diesel (back in 2016 at least...) I'm not sure which xLine you are looking at?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 08:29 AM   #7
Pganders
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
If it helps, the larger fuel tank (option code 1AG) was standard on the petrol X1. It was a cost option on the diesel (back in 2016 at least...) I'm not sure which xLine you are looking at?
That’s interesting. I’m going for the petrol engine though the current price list (2017) shows it now as an option for all trim/engine lines.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 10:16 AM   #8
Vogit
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20D xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pganders View Post
That’s interesting. I’m going for the petrol engine though the current price list (2017) shows it now as an option for all trim/engine lines.
The latest (Jan 2018)price list shows it as an option for everything except the 20i, for which it's not available. Odd.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 10:49 AM   #9
CliveL
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pganders View Post
Comparing the May 2016 and the November 2017 "Standard Specification" documents, the former lists "Larger fuel tank capacity" as a standard item on the petrol X1 20i, but it's not mentioned anywhere in the more recent 2017 document

So it's either a cost option, or possibly not even available any more for the petrol version? Does the online Build tool show it?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 12:57 PM   #10
Pganders
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Does the online Build tool show it?
Its disappeared from the online Configurator for all the trim/engine combos though fairly sure it was there previously. Wonder are they putting the larger tank in as standard across the range?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 01:06 PM   #11
pandauk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

So did we ever get to the bottom of what "LED Ambient Door Trim lights" were on the xLine/M-Sport? I've spent the last 30 mins looking/googling and can't seem to get an answer. It sounds like some kind of LED strip in the door, but I don't recall seeing this on any of the X1s I saw at the dealership. Sounds like it might just be the exterior?

Anyone with an xLine mind confirming what comes as standard without the extended package?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 04:24 PM   #12
OldCharlieRum
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 18i X line

I have a Sept 18 xline. As standard there is an illuminated line horizontally across the doors. The only standard option is for this to be illuminated in either red or white. Pretty basic really.

Last edited by OldCharlieRum; 11-05-2018 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: My mistake
Appreciate 1
pandauk28.00
      11-05-2018, 05:08 PM   #13
pandauk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Thanks buddy.

I'm going to see if I can code the footwell lights to stay on somehow. Coming from a VW, I got quite used to having a bit of light (replaced the yellow bulbs for red LEDs and it is quite a night-vision friendly colour in the dark).
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 07:02 AM   #14
Yoquinny
Rep
Drives: F48 2.0D X-line X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoquinny View Post

Update : Finally got around to switching my 2018 X-Line Interior lights to LED. These are absolutey brilliant, no coding required. They fit the front, rear and boot light, I've not done the glove box as I hardly ever use it.

OSRAM LED Premium Retrofit W2.1x9.5d, LED-W5W, interior lighting, 2850CW-02...

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0088X...ing=UTF8&psc=1

The Amazon site states that the cool white premium retrofit variant doesn't fit F48s but it certainly does. Only gripe is I wish I'd done the upgrade ages ago.
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00