BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Any way to have the car start in Sport mode?

02-17-2018, 08:05 PM   #1
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X6M

Any way to have the car start in Sport mode?

The fact that it starts in Comfort mode is ridiculous. Why not just save the previous settings? I'd like mine to start in Sport mode with DSC OFF. Are there any aftermarket programming tools that can change the default programming? There's something for programming the mirrors to auto-fold on lock, right? Can a tool like that also change your startup defaults?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 08:48 PM   #2
voyagergab
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 6MT, G01/F97 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCali View Post
The fact that it starts in Comfort mode is ridiculous. Why not just save the previous settings? I'd like mine to start in Sport mode with DSC OFF. Are there any aftermarket programming tools that can change the default programming? There's something for programming the mirrors to auto-fold on lock, right? Can a tool like that also change your startup defaults?
I've had my G01 X3 M40i switched to start in Sport via E-Sys coding. Though I'm not sure it was the best idea in winter.
Most likely this coding is also available for the F chassis.
Worth checking with Almaretto
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 08:48 PM   #3
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
I think in the Nav part of the forum someone figured out how to get it to start in sport after jumping through some hoops but you're going to have to search.

To have mirrors fold on lock yes that is easy with Bimmercode or Carly or coding with E-Sys. One of the apps and the OBD reader to change some things are worth every penny I think.

If you were not aware stock the car has fake engine noise. You can code that out if you like.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 10:16 PM   #4
delhang
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 18' F87, 15' F32, 17' F48

It's not such a bad thing to start up in comfort mode. The car warms up quicker and ready for heavy use :-)
Appreciate 1
AlexCirci496.50
      02-17-2018, 11:16 PM   #5
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
The fact that it starts in Comfort mode is ridiculous. Why not just save the previous settings?
BMW has purposely made the car default to comfort mode for purposes of the CAFE fuel standards.

Quote:
I'd like mine to start in Sport mode with DSC OFF.
That's called 'sport plus' mode.

Quote:
Are there any aftermarket programming tools that can change the default programming? There's something for programming the mirrors to auto-fold on lock, right? Can a tool like that also change your startup defaults?
There is an option on Bimmercode to default to EcoPro mode but that's it.
Not only would you not want that, but it's useless on our cars seeing as we don't have it.

As for Sport and Sport +, only hearing that it can't be done.
People have been discussing this since 2012 and still haven't found a way to do it.

Multiple threads on this across various F series forums on this topic:

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1307232

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1125749

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...1116302&page=2
Appreciate 2
Aronis2271.50
      02-17-2018, 11:26 PM   #6
sh_kross
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Long Beach Blue M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by delhang View Post
It's not such a bad thing to start up in comfort mode. The car warms up quicker and ready for heavy use :-)
Ditto on this. I thought I would want it to start in Sport+/Sport all the time, but then I found the cooling profile is less aggressive in Comfort mode, so I leave it there for a few miles or while I'm in town so it warms up and is ready for Sport/Sport+.

Then I also found that Traction Mode shares the cooling profile of Comfort, but has more aggressive exhaust mapping... another option to warm up the car. I actually ended up using nearly all of the modes. Only one I haven't driven is the full hero mode with all the nannies off. But then I only just learned stick, and I need to learn to rev match before I try it.
Appreciate 1
delhang22.50
      02-17-2018, 11:52 PM   #7
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagergab View Post
I've had my G01 X3 M40i switched to start in Sport via E-Sys coding. Though I'm not sure it was the best idea in winter.
Most likely this coding is also available for the F chassis.
Worth checking with Almaretto
Any vehicle with BDC_Body can start in desired mode. This includes I012, F015, and G-series.
Appreciate 3
      02-18-2018, 12:56 AM   #8
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh_kross View Post
Ditto on this. I thought I would want it to start in Sport+/Sport all the time, but then I found the cooling profile is less aggressive in Comfort mode, so I leave it there for a few miles or while I'm in town so it warms up and is ready for Sport/Sport+.

Then I also found that Traction Mode shares the cooling profile of Comfort, but has more aggressive exhaust mapping... another option to warm up the car. I actually ended up using nearly all of the modes. Only one I haven't driven is the full hero mode with all the nannies off. But then I only just learned stick, and I need to learn to rev match before I try it.
What is Traction Mode???
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 02:47 AM   #9
marcusfva
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: M2'17 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
What is Traction Mode???
The MDM mode, pushing once the DSC button.
Appreciate 3
      02-18-2018, 07:14 AM   #10
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Yep comfort means faster warm up...you can have the cold start taken out via DME flash but I would not want it starting in sport and cold start at the same time.....terriable sound. As of now I know no way to have sport start coded in but am not a coding or tuning expert.

Now what you can do is hit the start button once without the brake pressed, hit the sport or sport + button then press the brake and hit the start button again and you will start in sport or sport +. and your flapper will open too I think
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 10:47 AM   #11
//M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Any vehicle with BDC_Body can start in desired mode. This includes I012, F015, and G-series.
Elaborate with the coding parameter maybe?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 10:48 AM   #12
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosielia View Post
Elaborate with the coding parameter maybe?
Different for each chassis. F87 has fem, so it will not work.
Appreciate 2
AndrewC198910931.00
      02-18-2018, 11:11 AM   #13
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2ruder View Post
Yep comfort means faster warm up...you can have the cold start taken out via DME flash but I would not want it starting in sport and cold start at the same time.....terriable sound. As of now I know no way to have sport start coded in but am not a coding or tuning expert.

Now what you can do is hit the start button once without the brake pressed, hit the sport or sport + button then press the brake and hit the start button again and you will start in sport or sport +. and your flapper will open too I think
In the M2 during cold start the valve is OPEN in every single mode including comfort. In comfort it will close after the cold start procedure is over and the car will warm up faster but the valve is always open for cold start unless you force shut it with a valve controller.

The F80/F82 platform has it the opposite. Valves are CLOSED during cold start no matter what mode you're in. After purchasing and installing some valve controllers and speaking to Alan over at M0dbargains it's confirmed that's how the valves operate.
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2018, 02:09 PM   #14
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
The fact that it starts in Comfort mode is ridiculous. Why not just save the previous settings? I'd like mine to start in Sport mode with DSC OFF.
  • faster warm-up in COMFORT mode than in other modes;
  • you don't want anything bad to happen to those who can grab your key fob and who are not familiar with driving high-performance cars and/or toying with settings; look, my wife is definitely a decent driver taking things nice 'n slow, but if I'd let her drive my car in DSC OFF mode on a slippery road (imagine for a moment that the car remembers the last setting and that that would have been DSC OFF), there's a serious chance of a car accident; at least 370hp + RWD + slippery road + inexperienced driver for this type of car = clear & present danger;
  • COMFORT mode with all nannies active as default setting for safety reasons: by requiring the driver to push a settings button, (s)he is supposed to be aware of what (s)he's doing and can never blame BMW that (s)he was "caught off-guard" by the default mode; also for car companies liability claims are a nightmare;
  • it only takes pushing a dedicated button after starting the car, to switch to another mode (just like opening the car door, fastening your seatbelt and pushing the start-stop button requires using your hand).
BMWM5NYC496.00
      02-18-2018, 02:28 PM   #15
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
What is Traction Mode???
See the 'Traction Mode' (loud burble galore) dedicated thread here ("Hidden exhaust mode in M2 (Traction Mode)").

See in general the dedicated thread here ("DSC settings on the M2: what the Manual, Press Kit and Technical Training say").
      02-18-2018, 03:01 PM   #16
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
In the M2 during cold start the valve is OPEN in every single mode including comfort. In comfort it will close after the cold start procedure is over and the car will warm up faster but the valve is always open for cold start unless you force shut it with a valve controller.

The F80/F82 platform has it the opposite. Valves are CLOSED during cold start no matter what mode you're in. After purchasing and installing some valve controllers and speaking to Alan over at M0dbargains it's confirmed that's how the valves operate.
I stand corrected....I guess that is why the M2 exhaust confused me. I way more used to the F82
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 10:13 AM   #17
RedCarrot
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 AW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
  • faster warm-up in COMFORT mode than in other modes;
  • you don't want anything bad to happen to those who can grab your key fob and who are not familiar with driving high-performance cars and/or toying with settings; look, my wife is definitely a decent driver taking things nice 'n slow, but if I'd let her drive my car in DSC OFF mode on a slippery road (imagine for a moment that the car remembers the last setting and that that would have been DSC OFF), there's a serious chance of a car accident; at least 370hp + RWD + slippery road + inexperienced driver for this type of car = clear & present danger;
  • COMFORT mode with all nannies active as default setting for safety reasons: by requiring the driver to push a settings button, (s)he is supposed to be aware of what (s)he's doing and can never blame BMW that (s)he was "caught off-guard" by the default mode; also for car companies liability claims are a nightmare;
  • it only takes pushing a dedicated button after starting the car, to switch to another mode (just like opening the car door, fastening your seatbelt and pushing the start-stop button requires using your hand).
A little off topic but...
The C7 Corvette has a decent compromise on default driving mode: It has 5 driving modes, and it defaults to the mode last selected unless it was in “Track” mode (equivalent to M2 Sport+ and DSC completely off), in which case it will default down to “Sport” mode (equivalent to M2 Sport). No lawsuit related to this that I am aware of in the most lawsuit-happy country in the world

I personally switch to Sport mode right away because of the terrible throttle lag in Comfort mode. When that is remedied with a tune, I will definitely stay in Comfort mode until the car is warmed up.
'00 S2000 (2000-2005)
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 03:11 PM   #18
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

The modes have zero effect on engine warm up.
      02-19-2018, 08:04 PM   #19
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

I have had my M2 for about 21 months and in all that time driving the car, I start it and then hit the button to change to sport (winter) or sport plus (summer) about every time I get in the car. And in all that time I have had to push that button less times then I pushed the keys on my keyboard to type this message.

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 09:20 PM   #20
//M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
The modes have zero effect on engine warm up.
Well in sport modes the water pump does run a higher duty cycle and does Target a lower coolant temp overall, so it's not inconceivable that the vehicle will warm up quicker in comfort, but you'd imagine the respective duty cycle tables would be similar upto 150°F. End of the day this theory could hold some water, it shouldn't just be dismissed.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 03:40 AM   #21
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosielia View Post
Well in sport modes the water pump does run a higher duty cycle and does Target a lower coolant temp overall, so it's not inconceivable that the vehicle will warm up quicker in comfort, but you'd imagine the respective duty cycle tables would be similar upto 150°F. End of the day this theory could hold some water, it shouldn't just be dismissed.
Is that true though? Have you monitored water pump duty cycles or do you have tuning software to decompile the factory ECU and figure out what is going on?
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 04:56 AM   #22
Steelius
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
You'll never get it to start up by default in a reduced traction setting such as 'Sport +', 'Traction mode', or 'DSC off', simply because of the safety case.

Say you park it up, another driver uses the car next and drives off with reduced DSC control unknowingly, they might be surprised. Put it this way, a normal person would never get into a car and check that DSC control is on.

You may find a way to latch sport mode, because the DSC calibration won't change from Comfort. But I'm with you, I always switch to sport mode every time because I prefer the more responsive gearbox calibration! Best of luck!