BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Harmon Kardon Retrofit Question

02-26-2018, 06:42 PM   #1
jmhumr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1

Harmon Kardon Retrofit Question

Hello, I’m interested in retrofitting the HK sound system in my 2017 X1 and wanted some feedback on the best way to proceed. I’m starting with the HiFi system.

1. Should I just have the dealer do it? I haven’t asked for a quote yet, does anyone know how much it might be? I’m technically inclined, but will pay a little more to put the liability on someone else in case something breaks in the process.

2. I’ve seen a few complete HK sets on eBay from European sellers. Is this a bad idea? I worry about getting an abused set, but suspect they come from totaled or modded cars.

3. Coming from HiFi, do I still need to replace everything?

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 12:54 AM   #2
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

It might be worth looking at a different set up.

If we didn’t have the factory fit HK set up I’d be looking at something like Blam or Rainbow as an upgrade. In fact I’ve just ordered a Rainbow 8.3 kit for my VW Transpoter T5.1, as a matter of fact it’s arriving today... These are specifically designed for the van and are a plug and play set up. The driver on the mid bass doesn’t have huge magnets so they will run effectively off the standard amplifier, although they can also be amplified at a higher power if required. Rainbow also do kits for BMW’s so might be worth looking at what they have for the F48. This would sound much better than the HK set up
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 06:34 AM   #3
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

And they just arrived

This is obviously a VW kit with the appropriate speaker rings to convert from a 6" to 8" woofer in the doors. Treble/mid range speakers fitted in an OEM style speaker mount and crossover.

This all comes prewired with VW plug and play connectors, so I just need to remove the door cards, Dynamat the doors and install/plug in the speakers...

Attached Images

Current: VW Transporter Sportline, F48 X1 20i M Sport. Previous: F10 530d M Sport, W176 A200 CDI AMG Evolution, E70 X5 3.0 SD M Sport, F20 120d M Sport, E81 120d M Sport, E46 325i M Sport, E46 318ci & Many Others...
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 07:35 PM   #4
jmhumr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1

Thanks, but I’m really interested in exploring the HK option in more detail first. Anyone able to answer my original questions?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 10:35 AM   #5
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhumr View Post
Thanks, but I’m really interested in exploring the HK option in more detail first. Anyone able to answer my original questions?
Your HiFi system can be converted into HK with the following parts:

- HK OEM amp
- HK mids (5)
- HK tweeters (5)
- HK woofers (2)

Front and rear tweeters require front HK mounting trim, and rear mount after drilling a hole in the door panel. All mid grills may be replaced to match the tweeter grills. HK OEM amp will require CAN bus wires in its 42-pin connector - which may or may not be present in the HiFi 42-pin connector in the car. Coding may be required.

At the end of this retrofit you will realize that all this money and effort is not that much of an improvement over what is in the car to begin with.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 03:54 PM   #6
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
At the end of this retrofit you will realize that all this money and effort is not that much of an improvement over what is in the car to begin with.
Exactly, I like my HK for what I paid for it out the factory. However if I were upgrading a lesser system, I’d be doing it myself or going to a decent audio installer to have it done for me...
Appreciate 0