BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Any Salvage M2 titles for project?

02-27-2018, 12:36 PM   #1
Yiruna
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, C63s, 718 Cayman GT4

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Any Salvage M2 titles for project?

Been toying with this new project idea for awhile and I got the greenlight to go ahead with the purchases needed to make it happen. All I need is a chassis to build it on.

Ideally, I'd like to do an M2 chassis, or a 1 Series, but I felt the M2 was the best chassis I could aim for, mainly for two reasons.

1) Given my project goals, I feel this would be the best size and weight ratio for the given build. Along with the suspension and handling it's just a no brainier.

2) It's the best looking M Car. (okay that's bias)

As for the details, it's probably sacrilege but I'm doing an EV conversion using Tesla parts from a engineering firm dedicated to EV conversions and aftermarket Tesla support. RWD only.

I'll post more details as I get the parts in these coming months.

For now, if there's any salvage M2s or other suggestions please pass them along.

Thanks

Last edited by Yiruna; 02-27-2018 at 12:52 PM..
Appreciate 3
akkando5864.50
Spa2k1194.00
      02-27-2018, 01:12 PM   #2
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiruna View Post
Been toying with this new project idea for awhile and I got the greenlight to go ahead with the purchases needed to make it happen. All I need is a chassis to build it on.

Ideally, I'd like to do an M2 chassis, or a 1 Series, but I felt the M2 was the best chassis I could aim for, mainly for two reasons.

1) Given my project goals, I feel this would be the best size and weight ratio for the given build. Along with the suspension and handling it's just a no brainier.

As for the details, it's probably sacrilege but I'm doing an EV conversion using Tesla parts from a engineering firm dedicated to EV conversions and aftermarket Tesla support. RWD only.

For now, if there's any salvage M2s or other suggestions please pass them along.

Thanks
Go with a 1er. They are cheap as dirt now (even non-salvage) and have hydraulic power steering, a real plus
      02-27-2018, 01:14 PM   #3
Yiruna
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiruna View Post

Thanks
Go with a 1er. They are cheap as dirt now (even non-salvage) and have hydraulic power steering, a real plus
I was considering this, I figured it'd be easier to get that generation subframes for cheaper also.
      02-27-2018, 01:54 PM   #4
Arcanum-UK
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i on Order

I'm a little curious how an EV conversion would work.

Tesla's are incredibly heavy for their size as they carry around about 600kg/1300lb of batteries and another 200kg/450lbs of motors (roughly).

Compared to a 200kg/450lb engine and 70kg/180lb fuel tank (weight when full) that's a huge difference in weight. Not only that, but a huge difference in the location of the weight in the car.

How do you retrofit EV in a way that's safe as the design of the chassis would have been from the perspective of the weight being both less and in different locations. Also, I suspect the handling characteristics would be interesting!

I'm not saying it's wrong or can't be done, I'm just wondering how it's done in a safe way.
Appreciate 2
      02-27-2018, 02:34 PM   #5
Yiruna
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanum-UK View Post
I'm a little curious how an EV conversion would work.

Tesla's are incredibly heavy for their size as they carry around about 600kg/1300lb of batteries and another 200kg/450lbs of motors (roughly).

Compared to a 200kg/450lb engine and 70kg/180lb fuel tank (weight when full) that's a huge difference in weight. Not only that, but a huge difference in the location of the weight in the car.

How do you retrofit EV in a way that's safe as the design of the chassis would have been from the perspective of the weight being both less and in different locations. Also, I suspect the handling characteristics would be interesting!

I'm not saying it's wrong or can't be done, I'm just wondering how it's done in a safe way.
I figured that most of the weight of the Tesla comes from the chassis itself given its notes geared toward comfort and the materials used (especially considering it's a niche competitor to the S-Class car segment).

I need to figure out the details regarding weight, because for 15 85kw packs we are running, 800 lbs give or take. That's it we decide on 15 (Most likely will).

I'll be trying to cut down on weight in other places but we're figuring that the transmission will also account for mutual exchange of weight also. Given we wouldn't need a DCT or ZF 8 Speed. Don't forget we don't need an exhaust system either. Which means we don't need need AS much sound deading given the car isn't going to be producing any discernable sound. But I am researching methods to reduce as much sound as possible

One option I had in mind was use of CF body panels. It's essentially acts as a sound deadening while fulfilling the weight loss aspect, but this is the most expensive option which isn't ideal. However, given that the Tesla parts are able to swapped out easily, this gives it modularity for future upgrades so it might not be a total waste.

One issue were coming from into is cooling. I am not gonna use this for track, but still would like to some deal of performance without loss in power. My idea, at least, was run a water cooled system using the front air dams as a way of doing so. (So the front doesn't become completely useless. But we will turn it into a frunk, at least half of it to store car jack and essentials)

As I said earlier, alot of the parts will be removed so there's room for compaction. We want to induce a rear bias, so a 33/67 or a 40/60split, similar to a Porsche set up.

As for suspension, were going to use a KW DDC suspension to handle all situations. I need to research whether or not i can adjust the individual settings.

End goal is a versatile car that can handle all situations.
      02-27-2018, 02:43 PM   #6
Arcanum-UK
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i on Order

Sounds cool! Thanks for the detailed response.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 06:22 PM   #7
filet.M2c
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2c / mach e

Sounds awesome! Toyed with a similar idea myself and would love to see how yours turns out.

This where you were planning on sourcing the Tesla parts?

https://hsrmotors.com/hsr/products

Were you planning on incorporating extra cooling for the batteries/ motors?

I agree with others, 1-series would be the way to go for this project.

Last edited by filet.M2c; 02-27-2018 at 07:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 06:30 PM   #8
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

I'd go with cheap 1 series for sure. You'll be paying a huge premium for the M2 destination. Unless money isn't a concern.

M2 will have major damage and bid prices will be really high. You'll have to outbid every 25 year old with a buddy who worked at a body shop last summer. Cause they can fix dat on the cheap like fast and furious.

An old 125i will be at the auction for a front bumper cover and dented fender.

Copart is very sketchy. Think shady used car lot, but with no consumer protection or required disclosures.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 06:45 PM   #9
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Seems someone thinks petrol engine isn't dying soon enough.

Easier do a S85 V10 motor swap and make an epic M2 please.
      02-27-2018, 08:40 PM   #10
Yiruna
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by synergist View Post
Sounds awesome! Toyed with a similar idea myself and would love to see how yours turns out.

This where you were planning on sourcing the Tesla parts?

https://hsrmotors.com/hsr/products

Were you planning on incorporating extra cooling for the batteries/ motors?
Yes that is indeed, it was interesting reading the parts catalog. Even better is that takes the typical charging ports that normal Hybrid cars use.

I may use an OEM cooler but I think it'd be better if we ran a custom one.
      02-27-2018, 08:42 PM   #11
Yiruna
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tekcorps View Post
I'd go with cheap 1 series for sure. You'll be paying a huge premium for the M2 destination. Unless money isn't a concern.

M2 will have major damage and bid prices will be really high. You'll have to outbid every 25 year old with a buddy who worked at a body shop last summer. Cause they can fix dat on the cheap like fast and furious.

An old 125i will be at the auction for a front bumper cover and dented fender.

Copart is very sketchy. Think shady used car lot, but with no consumer protection or required disclosures.
I was interested in doing this. I wasn't sure because, like a poster up also said. The steering will be analog which is a great plus. Additionally, high quality body kits to replicate the 1M look
are readily available so that's a plus. Aiming for a square set up on it, but may put more emphasis on the rear, especially so since I'm doing RWD only. Too much complication to do an AWD set up, which, the company isn't even near completion yet.
      02-27-2018, 08:45 PM   #12
Yiruna
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Seems someone thinks petrol engine isn't dying soon enough.

Easier do a S85 V10 motor swap and make an epic M2 please.
Man, I do love me a big engine. I don't want petrol to die out, but I'm also not one reject new technologies.

Still, a N/A M2 would be quite the build.
      02-28-2018, 11:35 PM   #13
Bt12
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5,2018 m2, 2018 x1

This sounds awesome.... if u havent yet, You should read up on the battery tech and the high performance anodes/cathodes etc. tesla uses an NCA battery vs the NMC ones which is what everyone else is using in all future models.

By 2050. ICE’s will be gone
Appreciate 0