BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > REAL daily driving

03-02-2018, 10:00 AM   #1
3geekfamily
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 Mini Hardtop JCW

REAL daily driving

So, I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger on the M2, but I think it's probably illogical.

To give you a bit of background, I'm currently in an STI, which is an all-around fun car, but an absolute blast in the rain. Prior cars include a Mk7 GTI, M235i, Lexus IS F, etc. I enjoy a car that feels good overall, but really like the confidence-inspiring traction of AWD, especially in the rain, but I'm definitely used to handling RWD cars with a good bit of power.

Of course - I don't doubt for a second that I'll be glad I'm driving the M2 when it's dry and reasonably warm outside. Of course, that's all that the reviews ever really touch upon, too. Hey, the car is fantastic on the track, and it doesn't fall apart when you take it on the B-roads. That's definitely great to know, but, unfortunately, I don't commute to work via VIR.

So, I know there are a few people out there who have and have had STIs, come from Audis, etc. Do you regret giving up AWD every time it rains? I'm sure it makes up for it when it's dry - but pulling out in traffic, standing water, hydroplaning, etc... how bad is it, really? I'm assuming that it's not terrible, since traction control is insanely good these days, but really need to hear the opinions of some of you who aren't trying to be tail-out all the time.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 10:10 AM   #2
jonahk
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 Porsche Macan  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
I have a Subaru Forester as my 2nd vehicle, and my wife daily's an Audi A3. I find the M2 turns and stops better in the MN winter weather due to good snow tires. (I know you mentioned rain but I'm trying to provide a more extreme example).

I daily drove my M235 for 3 years in all weather and never once wished I had got the xDrive version. If you're used to RWD driving I don't know how you'd be disappointed in the M2. It's so much easier to pitch sideways when you want to
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2018, 10:13 AM   #3
3geekfamily
Private
Rep

Thanks! You know how it is - now that I'm used to AWD again, I'm anxious about RWD+torque in the rain again. I went from a 2013 STI hatch to my IS F without a second thought. That said, it's rained a lot here lately, so it's been on my mind a lot more!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 10:51 AM   #4
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
The M2 is just as confidence inspiring in the rain as any of my previous AWD cars. The traction and stability control keep things in check to the utmost degree.
Appreciate 4
      03-02-2018, 10:51 AM   #5
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3geekfamily View Post
Thanks! You know how it is - now that I'm used to AWD again, I'm anxious about RWD+torque in the rain again. I went from a 2013 STI hatch to my IS F without a second thought. That said, it's rained a lot here lately, so it's been on my mind a lot more!
Yeah In the rain you cant accelerate nowhere near the car's potential. Didnt know that, Im coming from an E92 328i.
      03-02-2018, 11:00 AM   #6
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Do you regret giving up AWD every time it rains?
Almost always yes unless I'm trying to get stupid and slide around, but that has led to many oh shit moments in my past M3.

A car with a well set up rear bias AWD is much more enjoyable to drive than RWD in the rain and snow. I will say Subarus are not in that category except for the STI. The good news about the M2 though is that for a RWD car, it is SO easy to control. I've been in the 2er chassis for almost 3 years and have driven the M2 several times including a drenching rainy day. The size and chassis are very easy to control. In bigger, more powerful RWD cars I don't feel comfortable driving my normal "spirited" way in the wet, but in the 2er/M2 it's not so bad.

I'll throw a curve at you though. Have you driven an RS5? I'm cross shopping getting my second E9x M3, an M2, or an RS5 and I was very very impressed when I drove the RS5, which surprised me. It is a wicked car and I couldn't get it to understeer on the street. In fact I whipped it fully sideways with TC off. For me the RS5 probably makes the most sense but I do live where roads are wet 6 months a year at a minimum. My current dream garage (changes every month lol) is RS5 and M2.
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2018, 11:10 AM   #7
3geekfamily
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Almost always yes unless I'm trying to get stupid and slide around, but that has led to many oh shit moments in my past M3.

A car with a well set up rear bias AWD is much more enjoyable to drive than RWD in the rain and snow. I will say Subarus are not in that category except for the STI. The good news about the M2 though is that for a RWD car, it is SO easy to control. I've been in the 2er chassis for almost 3 years and have driven the M2 several times including a drenching rainy day. The size and chassis are very easy to control. In bigger, more powerful RWD cars I don't feel comfortable driving my normal "spirited" way in the wet, but in the 2er/M2 it's not so bad.

I'll throw a curve at you though. Have you driven an RS5? I'm cross shopping getting my second E9x M3, an M2, or an RS5 and I was very very impressed when I drove the RS5, which surprised me. It is a wicked car and I couldn't get it to understeer on the street. In fact I whipped it fully sideways with TC off. For me the RS5 probably makes the most sense but I do live where roads are wet 6 months a year at a minimum. My current dream garage (changes every month lol) is RS5 and M2.
Haven't driven an RS5, but the RS3 is pretty high on my list. Thanks for your input!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 11:17 AM   #8
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Haven't driven an RS5, but the RS3 is pretty high on my list. Thanks for your input!
RS3 won't have the dynamics of the RS5 given that it is in reality a FWD car, but the size, weight, and that sweet 5 pot are desireable.
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2018, 11:48 AM   #9
thaalrasha
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G81

Do you regret not having RWD when its dry ?

For sure you can't push the M2 in the rain on public roads, and i advise you keep the nanies on to avoid... unexpected drifts.
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2018, 11:58 AM   #10
jmh600cbr
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G80

Garage List
2021 BMW G80  [0.00]
I live in Toronto and have put over 1600 km on my car in 2 weeks through snow, rain and sunshine. It's an awesome daily driver.
Kid Eh569.50
      03-02-2018, 12:41 PM   #11
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
since traction control is insanely good these days
Unless you need to drive at 9/10ths in the rain, or with traction control fully off, then it's fine. Modern traction control on such a balanced car on great tires is uneventful. Obviously there are some edge cases like from a stop a 90 degree sharp that's on a super steep hill and wet roads the wheels will spin if you don't roll onto the throttle, but 99% of regular driving situations you can still drive the car normally or fast in the rain, but not quite as fast as an equally capable AWD car.
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2018, 12:45 PM   #12
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh600cbr View Post
I live in Toronto and have put over 1600 km on my car in 2 weeks through snow, rain and sunshine. It's an awesome daily driver.
I can't believe you already have 1600kms on the odo!! You just got that thing and you'll need to get your 1st service by the end of the month!!

I still only have 200...but not driving in the snow/rain. Use the SUV for those days...like today!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 12:47 PM   #13
jmh600cbr
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G80

Garage List
2021 BMW G80  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSB --> LBB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh600cbr View Post
I can't believe you already have 1600kms on the odo!! You just got that thing and you'll need to get your 1st service by the end of the month!!

I still only have 200...but not driving in the snow/rain. Use the SUV for those days...like today!
I have a passion for driving and my work takes me throughout souther Ontario. So far the RWD only scared the crap out of me once lol
      03-02-2018, 02:26 PM   #14
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

One of the happiest days in my life (recently at least) was when I traded in my STi on a Golf R, which continues as my "utility car."

It is nice to have either a beater or an AWD utility car for really bad weather. Otherwise something like an M2 will suffice in most conditions, and generally it won't make you feel like you are a teenager, which an STi will do.
      03-02-2018, 02:40 PM   #15
DSTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M240iX / 23 M2 Tor-Red

My STI was a superb machine. My M2 is my daily here in Germany. You will be happy with an M2 in a mild climate such as yours. Do not hesitate.

My other is an M235i. Winter tires for both. Drive them. You live once.
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2018, 03:08 PM   #16
arquitecto
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 MG 6MT, '03 E39

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2003 BMW 530i  [0.00]
I’ve been daily driving my M2 here in Florida and been through several heavy rain storms. In real world driving it is a non issue. Anyone with the slightest bit of self-control can safely navigate most conditions at normal road speeds.

Even under spirited driving in wet conditions the M2 is extremely predictable. When it does step out sideways it does it in such a smooth and graceful way that it is very easy to correct. Often times you don’t ever need to counter steer, it will just hold a slight four wheel drift and tuck itself back in.

I have also driven it on a wet track at full attack and found that a little bit of modulation on the throttle coming out of low speed turns is all you need to keep the back end in check.

If you are worried about it keep the nannies on, even in comfort mode you can get sideways if you really boot it coming out of a wet corner. Keep in mind that an M2 will make peak torque around 1800 rpm so you need to adapt your throttle application to match the conditions.
      03-02-2018, 03:12 PM   #17
ModestV8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

I used to have a 2004 STI and I loved it. But to answer your question, no I don't miss awd (in the rain) enough to be the deciding factor when choosing between these 2 cars.
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2018, 04:31 PM   #18
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Living in Seattle, we have lots of rain. The M2 has absolutely no problems in the rain. And I even have the poorer Continental tires.
Appreciate 2
      03-02-2018, 04:39 PM   #19
Bt12
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5,2018 m2, 2018 x1

I think rain is fine... the snow is tough on summer tires... but u should probably get an extra set of snow tires if it’s your daily. Or at a minimum all seasons.
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2018, 07:33 PM   #20
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

Interesting comments. The car lights up the rear tires in first and second gear at will. If course it is safe, but BMW traction control is among the worst, the most primitive out there. It comes on all the time. To see the difference, just test drove a Porsche turbo or a McLaren 570s. Granted, these cars are not in the same league, but they will show you how traction control can work.
In the snow, snow tires would be a must. Even then, the car couldn't match a golf r or Audi rs3. I don't care personally, but I don't use mine as a daily.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 09:30 PM   #21
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

I've never heard of needing awd for rain until today.

More than half the cars I've owned have been rwd. I often drive my Miata even faster in the rain than when it's dry, cz I know the fuzz won't pull me over when it's raining - for some reason, they can tolerate wind, heat, cold, but they don't like getting wet.

I don't have many miles on my M2 yet (50 short of break-in), but drove in the rain on my ED trip for several hundred miles, no issue.
      03-02-2018, 09:48 PM   #22
3geekfamily
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobert View Post
I've never heard of needing awd for rain until today.

More than half the cars I've owned have been rwd. I often drive my Miata even faster in the rain than when it's dry, cz I know the fuzz won't pull me over when it's raining - for some reason, they can tolerate wind, heat, cold, but they don't like getting wet.

I don't have many miles on my M2 yet (50 short of break-in), but drove in the rain on my ED trip for several hundred miles, no issue.
Thanks for the comments, everyone!

No one ever said anything about needing AWD - just that it’s preferred. Something about an STi, it just plain doesn’t believe in rain.

I had read some comments when the M2 first came out about it being a bit iffy in the rain at highway speeds, due to the width of the tires. It sounds like those initial reports were a bit overblown.

Today was an absolutely perfect weather day, and yes - while the STi was fantastic, and M2 would have likely been an order of magnitude better.

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0