BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) What kind of towels and liquid do you use for a quick wash?

03-02-2018, 01:20 PM   #1
WhyAlwaysMe13
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW x1 Mediterranean Blue

What kind of towels and liquid do you use for a quick wash?

I'm a first time BMW owner (picked up a 2018 X1 - Mediterranean Blue two days ago) and after driving it for a couple days in this winter weather, I already need to wipe it down.

What kind of towels and solution do you guys use to protect the clear coat and get a nice clean?

Also -- if do use them, what kind of protecting mats/liner do you use to preserve the floor and the trunk surface?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 04:05 PM   #2
CliveL
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 F48 xDrive20i xLine

I bought the original BMW rubber floor mats for the rear seats, and also the boot liner. There are two sizes of rear boot/trunk liner depending on whether you have the sliding rear seats or not. All the mats are a good fit and I'm pleased with them
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2018, 08:20 PM   #3
jmhumr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1

If you can’t use a hose for a traditional wash/rinse, the best product is Optimum No Rinse, which can be found on Amazon for $21 (bottle lasts a long while). Slop with a sponge, wipe off with a soft microfiber.

I used that stuff for years when I lived in an apartment after seeing it recommended on a car detailing forum. Wear rubber dishwashing gloves to keep your fingers from freezing in the cold.
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2018, 05:12 PM   #4
spitpilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 230iX, 2017 X1 M sp X

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyAlwaysMe13 View Post
I'm a first time BMW owner (picked up a 2018 X1 - Mediterranean Blue two days ago) and after driving it for a couple days in this winter weather, I already need to wipe it down.

What kind of towels and solution do you guys use to protect the clear coat and get a nice clean?

Also -- if do use them, what kind of protecting mats/liner do you use to preserve the floor and the trunk surface?

Thanks!
Never used anything but water for washing, with Meguiars wash mitt to avoid scratches...use an old one on lower bumpers and rocker panels where dirt collect and separate one for the balance of car . Dry with terry towels...I wax cars at least every year..more often if they are parked in the sun during the day. Waxing...hand glaze (3M Imperial or Meguiars, then Blitz Wax), Use terry towels (do not use fabric softener when washing them) to remove glaze and wax haze..follow with microfiber towel buffing to bring out shine. I have "Le Mans Blue" (dark metallic) paint on my 2009 328I and it still looks like new with this treatment!
Appreciate 1