BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Contemplating 2017/18 X1sdrive

03-19-2018, 09:37 PM   #1
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Modern Line

Garage List
Contemplating 2017/18 X1sdrive

My '12 328i f30's warranty just expired and I've been looking for a smaller suv (I know BMW calls it an SAV). I don't need xdrive since the weather in NC isn't too bad. I'm not a fan of the mini style base seats so I'd be going with the sport seats. Is the newer engine past all of the N20 issues or is there new issues to be aware of? Any other tips on specific packages that should be considered?
      03-24-2018, 01:11 PM   #2
classyfast
Banned
Rep
Drives: e36m/e46m/E92 LCI 335/f30 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by etinifni View Post
My '12 328i f30's warranty just expired and I've been looking for a smaller suv (I know BMW calls it an SAV). I don't need xdrive since the weather in NC isn't too bad. I'm not a fan of the mini style base seats so I'd be going with the sport seats. Is the newer engine past all of the N20 issues or is there new issues to be aware of? Any other tips on specific packages that should be considered?
I have a 17x1 and a 14 335 xdrive msport. I have a 2 year old and a 5 month old, baby seats barely fit, the trim on the X1 kinda sucks, mines loaded and it still feels cheap, the delay on the gas pedal and overall speed is slow as shit. I have the non-sport seats and that was the biggest mistake I made. Definitely not a 45k car. Only reason we got this because 0$ down and 480$ a month for 2 years. In similar vehicles in its class it seems to kinda compete or beat so idk.

If I could do it again, I would go X3 or X5 or get a real suv like an Escalade and call it a day. I'm not a hardcore fan of any bmw suv/sav so....
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 02:20 PM   #3
jmhumr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1

I recently bought a barely used 2017 X1 xDrive and have been very satisfied, however I would have never bought one new because the nice packages really inflate the price. Since the F48 has been out a couple years, now is the perfect time to steal a well-loaded one with extremely low mileage in the low $30k's.

Things I consider must-haves:

Sport seats
Premium package primarily for the LED headlights
Technology package primarily for the widescreen nav
Cold weather package for heated seats (might not apply to you)
HK sound (if you enjoy audio and don't want to hassle with aftermarket upgrades)

A lot of people also like the sliding rear seat option. Also, while you don't need the xDrive, if you take my advice and buy used then I wouldn't go out of your way to avoid it. I rarely see sDrives on the East coast and I imagine private party resale market will suffer years from now if that's in your plans. I have a 2007 Mazda SUV that I regret isn't AWD because every prospective buyer asks, whether they need it or not.

As for the driving experience, I think it's fun to drive. Sport Mode is a blast and plenty powerful, although not something you'd want to burn gas on 100% of the time. The default driving mode is considered by many to be best in class and gets good mileage. I agreed after test driving a Q3. Since it's a 4-cylinder turbo, it will naturally feel a little laggy in certain conditions (cold engine). Not really a deal-breaker in my mind. Like I said, if you feel slow and want a little exhilaration from time to time, Sport Mode scratches that itch.

My main complaint is that I wish the car sat higher and had more clearance for overcoming snow piles in the winter. It's really only an SUV in terms of shape and storage. I also can't fathom why BMW refuses to add blind spot monitoring, but at least visibility in this car is good.
Appreciate 0