E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Coding to delete iDrive when removing iDrive system

03-29-2018, 12:13 PM   #1
magus4286
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Coding to delete iDrive when removing iDrive system

I'm in the process of converting my car over to a full-time track car which means iDrive is practically dead weight (no speakers left, no need for nav, etc.). Since iDrive still has some essential features like check control info that would be accessible in the cluster with a non-iDrive car, I'd like to re-code the car to relocate those features so it's like a non-iDrive car. I have a CCC system (01/08 M3).

I'm assuming I basically need to remove the navigation-related options from the VO then write to certain modules (CAS and I think FRM?) to update them. Do I also need to add VO options for one of the non-iDrive radios, e.g. Professional even through I won't have anything installed?

Anyone have experience with making that change that can offer some guidance? Would the car need to be programmed or will the coding alone be sufficient?

If I ever wanted to go back, can that be done just by reversing the process?

THANKS!
E90 ///M3 ('08) Racecar build | Fire Orange | 6MT | MCS 3W w/ rear coilover | Alcon BBK | Akrapovic Ti + BW Racing X-Pipe | do88 cooling | All the aero | Solid almost everything | CF Roof | TA16 and SM-10 wheels | AiM PDM32
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 07:00 PM   #2
N54POWR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

Garage List
2011 335is  [8.66]
I'm pretty sure you can access everything you need through the cluster still. You just have to enter the service menu on the cluster. Double check that before going to all this effort.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 06:23 PM   #3
SG_E90
DaZuc
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone

If you are looking to retain audio you would need to rewire quadlock for non idrive radio. Along with coding and a most terminator.

If you are looking to do this and don't care about losing audio (racekar) then just purchase a most terminator and connect it to the quadlock. (no errors, no audio, no coding) do the same for l7 amp.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 08:00 AM   #4
magus4286
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SG_E90 View Post
If you are looking to retain audio you would need to rewire quadlock for non idrive radio. Along with coding and a most terminator.

If you are looking to do this and don't care about losing audio (racekar) then just purchase a most terminator and connect it to the quadlock. (no errors, no audio, no coding) do the same for l7 amp.
Thanks for the response.

Becauseracecar I'm taking out the amp (enhanced premium sound) entirely along with the audio wiring harness, assuming no hiccups. In that case I assume there's no actual need to add MOST terminators or is there another one coming from another system in the car?

I had assumed there were at least a couple of things accessible via iDrive that might not be accessible via the cluster display w/o coding to non-iDrive but it sounds like that's incorrect and everything is redundant?
E90 ///M3 ('08) Racecar build | Fire Orange | 6MT | MCS 3W w/ rear coilover | Alcon BBK | Akrapovic Ti + BW Racing X-Pipe | do88 cooling | All the aero | Solid almost everything | CF Roof | TA16 and SM-10 wheels | AiM PDM32
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 02:37 PM   #5
dsjr2006
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 E39 540iA, '09 E90 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2001 BMW 540i  [0.00]
Just follow the non-iDrive to iDrive conversion DIYs in reverse, there are plenty of those.
      04-05-2018, 03:35 PM   #6
icon2015
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 320d ~200 bhp

Hi there,

For BMW E90, BMW made the audio harness as a separate electric harness to the cars electric harness. It will be connected to the main electric harness by one or 2 connectors (depending on what audio options your card had). So the physical task, of removing the audio system is pretty easy in E90. The other task of removing the option in the cars VO, has only one advantage: When you use CCC or other navigation system (MASK,CHAMP,CIC,NBT and so on) you can use them to setup different settings of your car (such as: triple signal(repeater) in one touch, welcome lights, auto lock doors, service reset, and so on); so the advantage would be that after you remove the CCC if you code your car as you should , those settings would be available to you in your instrument cluster (KOMBI). Other than that there is no other task or computer that needs CCC as a gateway, as far as I can think right now.

So for coding it will be enough, i think, as i haven't done this , yet , to remove $609 (if you have CCC) from your VO, then follow 2 steps:
1. not necessarily, fa_write your CAS, i wouldn't suggest to do the same to your FRM, as you should have a full backup of your original FA somewere
2. blankman file your KOMBI

After you should have the options of modifying those settings in your KOMBI, in your left stalk, by swiping down the scroll, you will play with it and learn.

Other than that everything will be fine. IMO the easiest way would be to remove the audio harness(which BTW includes all fiber optics in your car), CCC, idrive, CID, amps(if you got) and all the speakers, and that is it, everything will work ok.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 03:39 PM   #7
magus4286
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by icon2015 View Post
Hi there,

For BMW E90, BMW made the audio harness as a separate electric harness to the cars electric harness. It will be connected to the main electric harness by one or 2 connectors (depending on what audio options your card had). So the physical task, of removing the audio system is pretty easy in E90. The other task of removing the option in the cars VO, has only one advantage: When you use CCC or other navigation system (MASK,CHAMP,CIC,NBT and so on) you can use them to setup different settings of your car (such as: triple signal(repeater) in one touch, welcome lights, auto lock doors, service reset, and so on); so the advantage would be that after you remove the CCC if you code your car as you should , those settings would be available to you in your instrument cluster (KOMBI). Other than that there is no other task or computer that needs CCC as a gateway, as far as I can think right now.

So for coding it will be enough, i think, as i haven't done this , yet , to remove $609 (if you have CCC) from your VO, then follow 2 steps:
1. not necessarily, fa_write your CAS, i wouldn't suggest to do the same to your FRM, as you should have a full backup of your original FA somewere
2. blankman file your KOMBI

After you should have the options of modifying those settings in your KOMBI, in your left stalk, by swiping down the scroll, you will play with it and learn.

Other than that everything will be fine. IMO the easiest way would be to remove the audio harness(which BTW includes all fiber optics in your car), CCC, idrive, CID, amps(if you got) and all the speakers, and that is it, everything will work ok.
Thanks so much for the detailed response, I think that answers all of my questions!
Appreciate 0