BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) iDrive gremlins - anyone else?

04-09-2018, 01:50 PM   #1
TygerBright
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 20d Sport

iDrive gremlins - anyone else?

Hi all

I have a X1 - registered Dec 2016 that is giving me various tech issues:

1) DAB radio - intermittently fails to pick up any stations and the HUD advises 'steering wheel controls deactivated'. Killing the engine and restarting normally resolves the issue.

2) Music control - I can't skip tracks via steering wheel control. This used to work fine playing tracks via bluetooth but has stopped working last month.

3) Online search - this seems to default to the US for some reason. E.g. if I search for Costco it finds me Costco in New Jersey and I have to enter further search chars to find me locations in the UK.

My s/w is currently running at version: MV-130.009.004 and TV-130.009.004. I checked the BMW website and that seems to be offering an older s/w version for my VIN!

Any ideas on the above issues? I am planning to take in for a diagnostic check and hopefully a software update to sort these gremlins but thought I'd ask here first for any advice or simply to see if it's just me having these problems!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 04:32 AM   #2
TygerBright
Private
Rep

Quick update - just got my car back from the dealers - first service, EGR valve replaced and software updated.

I'm now running:

MV-130.018.003
TV-130.018.003

I hope this cures all my iDrive troubles!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 11:31 AM   #3
Heathwood
Private
Wales
Rep
Drives: X1 X-Drive 20i Med Blue

Maybe not really a gremlin, but I notice that the TPMS is sensitive to very small drops in tyre pressure. Even a 0.1 bar deflation is enough to trigger a warning sign on the dash.

No other issues noted.

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 02:26 PM   #4
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

My wife is complaining about the Bluetooth phone connection, says she gets a loud screeching noise from it regularly and can’t hear what the person calling is saying

Happening more regularly now, I hardly drive the car so have not experienced it myself

Will get it checked out when the car is next in for service...
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 02:48 PM   #5
Heathwood
Private
Wales
Rep
Drives: X1 X-Drive 20i Med Blue

In my experience the BT connection is pretty good, excellent reception and I like the position of the button on the RHS.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 03:32 AM   #6
TygerBright
Private
Rep

Had a play yesterday

1) Random loss of DAB radio stations. Too early to assess but no issue so far.

2) Skip tracks via steering wheel dial. Can't do this still when playing Spotify on my android HTC 10 via Bluetooth. Though I now think this is more likely a Spotify app issue as I can skip fine when playing play lists via Google Music and Deezer.

3) Online search still seems to default to USA. Maybe this is just how it is meant to be? Appreciate it if anyone else could try a search and see if you see the same. Eg. Enter 'Costco' in the online search

Ps one change I have noticed since the update is that music stops playing when you open the driver side door

Last edited by TygerBright; 05-02-2018 at 06:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 07:50 AM   #7
mikeyb74
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 330ix M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerBright View Post
Had a play yesterday

2) Skip tracks via steering wheel dial. Can't do this still when playing Spotify on my android HTC 10 via Bluetooth. Though I now think this is more likely a Spotify app issue as I can skip fine when playing play lists via Google Music and Deezer.

Ps one change I have noticed since the update is that music stops playing when you open the driver side door
Have you taken the vehicle in to a BMW service center?

Mine doesn't allow me to skip tracks via steering wheel controls either. That is while using Pandora. But it will work with the standard radio.

What do you mean stop playing? When opening the door the radio turns off. Doesn't matter if its the radio, satellite, or Pandora it will turn off.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 09:51 AM   #8
landrumdh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F48

Depends upon the car settings, my 2016 X1 the idrive says active for 10 minutes after you turn off the car until you lock it. Very annoying if I forget to double tap the off button on the car when home or lock it since phone calls will go to the car for the next 10 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 03:54 AM   #9
TygerBright
Private
Rep

Mikey - yes, the update was done by my BMW service centre just last week.

Anyone in the UK able to replicate the online search issue I'm having as described above - i.e. the search seems to default to US locations?

Would really appreciate it !

Appreciate 0