BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Dinan M550i Matt Farrah - One Take

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-10-2018, 12:57 PM   #1
RPiM5
Major General
RPiM5's Avatar
1997
Rep
7,626
Posts

Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sunny San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Dinan M550i Matt Farrah - One Take

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
He makes a lot of good points.

__________________
Appreciate 3
      04-11-2018, 12:40 AM   #2
uniqueMR
Lieutenant Colonel
uniqueMR's Avatar
United_States
759
Rep
1,822
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW M4 ZCP
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

M is M though
__________________
Currently: 2018 BMW M4 Competition
Previous BMWs: 340i, M3, 745Li, 740i
Previously Owned: Audi, Honda, Infiniti, Mercedes-Benz, MINI, Mitsubishi, Toyota, Volkswagen
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2018, 12:21 PM   #3
HXS
Licensed Drug Dealer
HXS's Avatar
United_States
313
Rep
1,515
Posts

Drives: 2013 M5
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (6)

Was he serious about that nut powder?
Appreciate 2
Naz241427.50

      04-11-2018, 12:29 PM   #4
michaelalex17
Colonel
michaelalex17's Avatar
172
Rep
2,610
Posts

Drives: Yas Marina M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CT

iTrader: (3)

I liked the review because he was honest about the fact that at this price point, with the new M5 this car doesn't really fit in anywhere. He did however incorrectly state that the new M5 has a DCT.
__________________
Appreciate 5
      04-11-2018, 12:40 PM   #5
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
1239
Rep
6,275
Posts

Drives: '13 f30, '11 f10
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Clifton Park, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelalex17 View Post
I liked the review because he was honest about the fact that at this price point, with the new M5 this car doesn't really fit in anywhere. He did however incorrectly state that the new M5 has a DCT.
Can't that be said about Alpina as well then?
__________________
2013 EB/CR 335i xdrive | DHP | 19" VMR V803 | MPS4S | MPerformance | M3 Grills | BMS Tips | LED Turn Signals | CTS intake | VRSF FMIC | VRSF CP
2011 JB 535i xdrive | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square | MPerformance Spoiler | M5 Grills | Painted Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 12:52 PM   #6
ksoze
Captain
ksoze's Avatar
United_States
73
Rep
764
Posts

Drives: 2018 M550iX
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelalex17 View Post
I liked the review because he was honest about the fact that at this price point, with the new M5 this car doesn't really fit in anywhere. He did however incorrectly state that the new M5 has a DCT.
That car with over $15K worth of Dinan, maybe so. If it was a base car with just the performance part of Dinan that actually makes much of the HP ($2,600), than the car is much cheaper than the M5 and as fast. The R&T article lists the details which make his assertion a bit hyperbolic.
__________________
2018 M550iX-Dinan S1 | 2011 E93 M3 Convertible | 2002 E46 M3 Convertible | 2002 E53 X5 3.0 | 2000 E39 540i | 1998 E36 M3 | 1988 E28 M5 | 1987 E28 528i
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2018, 12:53 PM   #7
Nebraska330xi
Lieutenant
Nebraska330xi's Avatar
United_States
25
Rep
546
Posts

Drives: 2006 330xi Sonora
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Nebraska

iTrader: (1)

Interesting game about interior quality points. I feel like the f series was always "quality" feeling and well put together. Not overly fancy like a Benz but felt solid. Haven't heard from other reviews
__________________
2006 Sonora Metallic 330xi.

DIY: Charcoal Delete, K
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 12:59 PM   #8
LeMans E90
Second Lieutenant
LeMans E90's Avatar
70
Rep
226
Posts

Drives: 2011 Le Mans E90
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southern Cal.

iTrader: (0)

Interesting review... a couple of points.

1. Regarding price point, the 10K or so difference between the Dinan M550i and the Base F90 M5 is kind of moot, because who really wants a stripper M5?

2. One of his major qualms with the M550i was the disconnected feeling of the auto vs the DCT. The new M5 is also auto so.... will be interesting to see how he reviews the new M5 once he gets his hands on it.
__________________
2011 LeMans E90 | Cobb Exhaust | ST Coils | Carbon Fiber M-Tech Splitters | Carbon Fiber M-Tech Rear Diffuser | Carbon Fiber Trunk Lip
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2018, 01:12 PM   #9
cntzl
Colonel
cntzl's Avatar
United_States
2573
Rep
2,474
Posts

Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: San Mateo, CA

iTrader: (0)

Dinan always advertises crank HP numbers and even in that case many people don't see the advertised gains at the crank (there is a long thread in M3/M4 forum about dyno results). I definitely don't think this M550 makes more power and torque than the F90 M5. I personally rather take a stripper M5 than a modded M550i that costs nearly as much.
Appreciate 8
      04-11-2018, 01:17 PM   #10
SpenceRx
First Lieutenant
SpenceRx's Avatar
Canada
162
Rep
349
Posts

Drives: BMW 330i EBII
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: YVR

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Skype™ to SpenceRx
Tough sell with the new M550i ad M5 out there
__________________
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2018, 01:18 PM   #11
richard in NC
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
149
Rep
1,563
Posts

Drives: 2009 Z4 35i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (0)

I may be biased, since I now own an M550i but I totally get it.
As nice and quick as the F10 M5 was, there were compromises. From the bumpy ride on city streets, to steering noises, to an occasionally jerky DCT, to unusable power in the wet. The new M5 addresses a lot of that but the base price is $30k more than the M550i. Even comparably equipped its probably $20k+ more. I found the M550i to be more than good enough handling on the street and great power stock. The Dinan upgrades appear to improve upon that without compromising the rest of the car. Which is an executive sport sedan that doesn't compromise to achieve the sportiness.

BTW the Merc equivalent is the E43 AMG, a V6. The M550i one ups that, and for a bit less $$.

PS: If he wants a car with noise, get a Mustang GT350. I followed one so loud, I couldn't hear my own car, at all....

PPS: BMW Genius claims the Bluetooth issue is on Apple and BMW has worked with them for some time to reduce the bugs.
__________________
2018 M550i: Med Blue, Mocha : Exec Pkg, Driver Asst & Plus, DHP, 759s, More...
2016 X4 M40i, Long Beach Blue/Ivory-Black: Cold Weather, Technology, 20s w/PSS, Cameras, More...
Gone '15 M5, '13 X3 35i, '12 335is, '11 X5 50i, '09 Z4 35i, '08 550i, 06 X3, 06 650i, '02 M5, '99 540i

Last edited by richard in NC; 04-11-2018 at 01:32 PM.
Appreciate 6
      04-11-2018, 01:31 PM   #12
raysspl
Colonel
raysspl's Avatar
903
Rep
2,840
Posts

Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: thesocalrealestate.com

iTrader: (0)

Looks darn good w/ mild lowering & wheels
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 01:32 PM   #13
eMvy
First Lieutenant
eMvy's Avatar
United_States
129
Rep
373
Posts

Drives: Bimmers
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: 3714'5.62"N 11548'38.95"W

iTrader: (0)

Yes, Bluetooth issues are typically related to the phone OS's implementation of the BT stack. This goes for both iOS and Android.
__________________
E46 330i 6MT
E92 335i 6MT
E92 M3 6MT
F25 X3 28i
F30 328i
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 02:12 PM   #14
michaelalex17
Colonel
michaelalex17's Avatar
172
Rep
2,610
Posts

Drives: Yas Marina M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CT

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelalex17 View Post
I liked the review because he was honest about the fact that at this price point, with the new M5 this car doesn't really fit in anywhere. He did however incorrectly state that the new M5 has a DCT.
Can't that be said about Alpina as well then?
I don't think so. Alpina is a very different niche market
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 03:01 PM   #15
SliChillax
Second Lieutenant
SliChillax's Avatar
Albania
301
Rep
282
Posts

Drives: Estoril Blue M235i
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Tirana, Albania

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebraska330xi View Post
Interesting game about interior quality points. I feel like the f series was always "quality" feeling and well put together. Not overly fancy like a Benz but felt solid. Haven't heard from other reviews
The interior feels cheap cause they don't offer full merino/nappa leather. The car is covered in that rough plasicky fake leather that shines in the sun and just looks and feels cheap when you touch it. Only the M5 has the proper leather.
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2018, 03:25 PM   #16
Madvillain
Second Lieutenant
132
Rep
251
Posts

Drives: lada
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Ontario

iTrader: (0)

waste of money. it barely makes any more power than the last 550i with tune(actually probabaly the same). my guess is from a roll itd be sorta close to f10 m5 but from from roll the f90 would crush this. froma dig since theyre both awd itd prob be close to like 150kph. its a nice car i got nothing against it but this dinan bs is a joke. way too much money for the package.
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2018, 03:59 PM   #17
Brasko
#LSBM3
Brasko's Avatar
No_Country
1000
Rep
1,571
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW M3 ZCP
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Portland, Oregon

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
I'll pass. The new F90 M5 is a much better choice and for not much more.
__________________
2016 LAGUNA SECA BLUE /// M3 ZCP
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 04:05 PM   #18
Alan l.
Major General
Alan l.'s Avatar
2043
Rep
6,656
Posts

Drives: 2018 Individual M3 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: United States

iTrader: (9)

When I priced out a M550 to the spec i would want it comes out to about 85K. For the M5 it comes out to 107K because frankly i don't need to add every single option just because its offered BMW. 22K difference.

Once you start adding wheels, tune, exhaust, body kits you are cutting into that 22K difference FAST. In reality a modded up m550 will be within 10-12K difference of how I would spec my M5. Maybe I'm getting old but I rather have a "stock" M5 over a fully modified M550.
__________________
Appreciate 4
aw305338.50
Carnook83.00

      04-11-2018, 04:07 PM   #19
ModmyBMW4life
New Member
5
Rep
14
Posts

Drives: F10 550i
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Riverside

iTrader: (0)

For reference, here is the stock F10 M5 vs stock G30 M550. Drag race starts at 0:29s into the video.

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 04:08 PM   #20
stefan
Brigadier General
stefan's Avatar
No_Country
1093
Rep
3,509
Posts

Drives: M2 LCI
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [5.00]
2016 BMW X1  [0.00]
Definitely going to pick up some of that ball powder.
__________________
///M Power
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 04:15 PM   #21
ModmyBMW4life
New Member
5
Rep
14
Posts

Drives: F10 550i
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Riverside

iTrader: (0)

I disagree that the M550 is a waste of money. If I'm in the market for an executive luxury sedan with some power but don't want to commit to ~$120,XXX, this is the car for me. This car is much quicker than any of the previous 5-series and only looks up to the F90 M5 -- as it should be. One owner has documented 0-60 in 3.47 with a BMS Stage 1. A simple $400 tune has propelled a solid luxury executive vehicle to a rocket with AWD. No, it's not the F90 M5 but I don't think that was ever the plan.
Appreciate 3
      04-11-2018, 04:16 PM   #22
Roadkiller
Philosophiae Doctor
Roadkiller's Avatar
United_States
175
Rep
851
Posts

Drives: 2015 M4 BSM
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: In front of you!

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Definitely going to pick up some of that ball powder.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:04 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST