BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) I-Phone Contact data not connecting

04-15-2018, 02:30 PM   #1
RobinLegin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 Xline 2i petrol

I-Phone Contact data not connecting

Hi all,
My iPhone is connected to the car OK. However, if I switch to comms to make a call whilst driving, and try and make use of my contacts file, the display advises "the contacts list is empty". Whilst I rarely dial out when driving, I would like the facility back. It worked when I first got the car till about 2 weeks ago. Incidentally I have a very full contacts list on my iPhone which my Mac Book Air and iPad have no problem in listing.
Is it an IOS update that is stopping me using the telephone or is there something I need to do / reset? Solutions in idiots guide form please as I am not IT literate.
Thanks
Nigel
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 03:50 PM   #2
landrumdh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F48

On the phone in the BT menu when connected to the car, click the i icon next to the car's connection. Check that you've allowed the car to sync contacts.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 11:15 AM   #3
simon.
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 25D mSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrumdh View Post
On the phone in the BT menu when connected to the car, click the i icon next to the car's connection. Check that you've allowed the car to sync contacts.
This & tick groups & all contacts. Should work then hopefully
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 11:46 AM   #4
RobinLegin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Sorry guys. But what is the BT menu?
Nigel
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 02:42 PM   #5
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinLegin View Post
Sorry guys. But what is the BT menu?
Nigel
Hi there. If you are using an iPhone (mines an iPhone 7 but I think it's the same regardless of model), go into Settings on your phone and scroll down to the BMW Connected app (download it from the App Store if you haven't got it installed yet). Click on 'Connected' and it will give you options to switch on or off. One of those is 'Contacts', so just ensure that is on (green showing on slider) and it should give access to your contacts through the bluetooth connection. I don't think you'll need to go into the Bluetooth setting if you've already paired your iPhone with the car.
Also you can use Siri in the car by clicking in the Connected App on 'Siri & Search' and ensure that is on too. To use Siri, keep the voice button on your steering wheel pressed for a couple of seconds until it beeps (I think that's what it does) and then just say what you want Siri to do - including sending (at your own risk of course!) messages to your contacts.
Hope that helps.
Incidentally, I've now been driving my 1.5i petrol engine X1 for 3 weeks since collecting it from the dealer and I brimmed the tank today after 398 miles from last fill. It used 44.70 Ltrs (9.83 UK gallons), which equated to averaging 40.476 mpg (uk gallons). Pretty impressive for a new petrol engine I reckon and better than I could manage in my previous 1.4tfsi Q3.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 02:42 PM   #6
RobinLegin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Just gone into settings on my iPhone. Contacts in the BMW app is set on green. I have gone into Bluetooth settings and checked the BMW connections. I put the slider on green under “Sync Contacts”. So looks like I need to contact the dealership. Hey ho
Nigel
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 08:30 PM   #7
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinLegin View Post
Just gone into settings on my iPhone. Contacts in the BMW app is set on green. I have gone into Bluetooth settings and checked the BMW connections. I put the slider on green under "Sync Contacts". So looks like I need to contact the dealership. Hey ho
Nigel
Before you do that (assuming you've not done this already), delete the connection on both your phone and iDrive, then go through the reconnection process from the start. iOS software updates have caused BT problems in the past with certain iPhone/iDrive combinations, so worth checking.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 02:43 PM   #8
RobinLegin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Strange things electronics. After resetting my iPhone blue tooth connections the data is all back and available. Was this a gremlin I wonder?
Appreciate 1
ttimbo281.50